Low-Cost PMC-inspired TL Monitor with DC130A and DC28F

A number of years ago I designed and built a 3-way, TuLines, using two woofers with each woofer in its own and identical ML-TL. This isn't quite what you're describing since it's not an MTM or TMM but it's along the same lines (pun intended). I've attached a side-view cabinet drawing.
Paul

Attachments

• TuLine Cab Sideview.jpg
    TuLine Cab Sideview.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 777
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was imagening two separate lines in two separate cabinets on top of each other, with a tweeter in the middle, hence the need for a fold with the driver in the end of the box, to get time smallest c-t-c distance. For a TMM you then use one of the boxes for a the 0.5 woofer and have a box with a bass reflex on top.

If you have a nice TL(s) what is the purpose of the bass reflex with sloppy bass?

I took these speakers upstairs to the kitchen and put on the counter with a wall behind them. The bass is really deep and powerful - sounds like there is a subwoofer - can't believe how deep and powerful a 5.25in woofer can go when in a TL. Active Xo with miniDSP amd amps are basic TPA3116D2 fed by 24v smps.

last time I measured them on a desk witha back wall:

Attachments

• pmc-at-lp-desk-hd.png
    pmc-at-lp-desk-hd.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
XRK. Thank you for generously sharing all your work with us. I like the way you combine practice and theory.
I would like to ask 2 questions.
1. Your model for the Faital Pro FE100 reduces width to 5 1/2 inches. What determines the necessary volume of any cabinet?
2. How did changing the internal layout to a front facing vent increase the low bass?

If you have a nice TL(s) what is the purpose of the bass reflex with sloppy bass?

I took these speakers upstairs to the kitchen and put on the counter with a wall behind them. The bass is really deep and powerful - sounds like there is a subwoofer - can't believe how deep and powerful a 5.25in woofer can go when in a TL. Active Xo with miniDSP amd amps are basic TPA3116D2 fed by 24v smps.

last time I measured them on a desk witha back wall:

HI xrk, Can I use Dayton RS180-8 in this configuration having same tapers? if not can you please model one for me if possible?

Regards
Justin

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Jmascreen,
I just ran a simulation of the design for a 5.25in driver, but scaled by 7/5 or 1.4x and 8in wide internally. This happens to be perfect for the RS180-8 driver.

So just take this plan, and multiply all dimension by 1.4x, and the width set at 8in.
512554d1446564940-low-cost-pmc-inspired-tl-monitor-dc130a-dc28f-pmctl4-plan.png

Here is predicted frequency response in 4 pi space:
attachment.php

Here is predicted impedance, showing about 39Hz tuning:
attachment.php

I would add a 1mH and 3.3R BSC on the woofer. Should sound excellent - follow stuffing plan discussed previously.

Attachments

• pmc-tl-rs180-fr.png
    pmc-tl-rs180-fr.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,124
  • pmc-tl-rs180-imped.png
    pmc-tl-rs180-imped.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,129
Last edited:
TL designs

I am learning about TL designs..

I have read on the Internet that TL enclosures sound very natural and add less coloring to the sound.
Also they are not boxy sounding..
Can somebody share their listening experience with sealed Vs Vented Vs TL apart from the low end extension?
which is giving natural sound without any coloring?

Hi Jmascreen,
I just ran a simulation of the design for a 5.25in driver, but scaled by 7/5 or 1.4x and 8in wide internally. This happens to be perfect for the RS180-8 driver.

So just take this plan, and multiply all dimension by 1.4x, and the width set at 8in.
512554d1446564940-low-cost-pmc-inspired-tl-monitor-dc130a-dc28f-pmctl4-plan.png

Here is predicted frequency response in 4 pi space:
744665d1553234294-low-cost-pmc-inspired-tl-monitor-dc130a-dc28f-pmc-tl-rs180-fr-png

Here is predicted impedance, showing about 39Hz tuning:
744667d1553234486-low-cost-pmc-inspired-tl-monitor-dc130a-dc28f-pmc-tl-rs180-imped-png

I would add a 1mH and 3.3R BSC on the woofer. Should sound excellent - follow stuffing plan discussed previously.

Here is my with Dayton RS180 drivers

Attachments

• MSVU3025.JPG
    MSVU3025.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 779
  • MAVX1300.JPG
    MAVX1300.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 160
Hi xrk, thanks for your help. I made it with MDF and painted white. I went with the passive crossover and will be pairing it with dcb1, F5T amps. just bit concerned since the final SPL is around 84db.

I will post the listening impression once the drivers are break in

Hi Jmascreen,
Those look beautiful! With the white color, I thought they were foam core at first but looks like you made them out of wood and painted them white. RS180 is a nice driver - how does it sound? DSP or passive XO?
Thanks for building it!
:cheers:
X

812974d1580454018-low-cost-pmc-inspired-tl-monitor-dc130a-dc28f-msvu3025-jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That’s a nice design. Very simple and similar to how I have been making mine. I have found that my 10F/RS225 FAST speaker XO PCB is quite universal and handy for these types of crossovers. Here is one I just made for a Peerless 6.5in and 1in dome tweeter at 2kHz. About same slopes as yours with inverted tweeter drive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CC1D1DB1-EE12-43DB-84D0-F62C318FD68D.jpeg
    CC1D1DB1-EE12-43DB-84D0-F62C318FD68D.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 757
That’s a nice design. Very simple and similar to how I have been making mine. I have found that my 10F/RS225 FAST speaker XO PCB is quite universal and handy for these types of crossovers. Here is one I just made for a Peerless 6.5in and 1in dome tweeter at 2kHz. About same slopes as yours with inverted tweeter drive.

attachment.php

Thanks will update you soon on how its sounds

Question for xrk. Would there be any consequences to rotating the enclosure 90 degrees?
Crude front view drawing attached.
I would like to use this orientation of the line because if the front panel is removable then it is easy to adjust the stuffing.
Removable front panels are also handy when you decide that you made a horrible mistake in your choice of drivers.:eek:

Thanks

Attachments

• 90_degrees.jpg
    90_degrees.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 119