Series Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...Im using Dual Peerless 6" 850439's with xt25tg30-04 in D'Appolito setup.

...Is the xo frequency 2K? Should I be downloading software to do this or just give it a crack?
In D'appolito setup you have now about 4ohms impedance.

With AR SXO in capless version the impedance will drop to 3 or 2omhs depending of R1.
If it is a problem to your amp, dont remove cap.

I dont have any problem whith XT25 in capless.
Whith cap XT is more protected but dont show all the performace he can do.

I dont now exactly the xo frequency, but whith my units and in my measurements not precise, is about 2K.

Regards

be aware that using a series crossover with the same on axis responds than say a LR4 you end up with a very different radiation pattern. for me that explains most of the audible differences. i also found it difficult to design a series crossover with a neutral response say accurate to +-2DB without ending up with MORE components then the parallel alternative. the only advantage i see is that usually coils in series with the woofer are smaler.

Yes i was in Lisbon. I have a friend in Estoril. In fact his parents life there. I remember Lisbon because not the least the seafood and that special roasted chicken. Ones i was in a seafood restaurant and some Japanese got a big seafood platter. The platter fell to the floor and the Chef just picked up the stuff and served it again. You had to see those faces ! Absolutely timeless. I am also a big fan of modern Fado. I also had an Importer for Audio Physic there when is was the CEO many years ago. When i come in the area we should meet. Two audiophiles is always fun.

Hello!

I am a friend of Carlomar and i use the acoustic reality crossover with very good results.The problem with this type of xover is that the impedance will be 4 omhs or less (sometimes 2 omhs),and not many amps do 2 omhs.
The tweeter needs to be very sensitive but the woofer dont ,so you can use a 10 omhs or big resistor.
I use the capless version with the vifa xt and if you want to hear the quality of your tweeter this is the way to go.
With caps there was alwais some problem, to harsh ,to soft , to...
And the best thing is that everithing is done by hearing.

Hi both friends,
Thanks for advices & explanations. I used 1,7mH ferrite core ( I suppose that better defined low end with ferrite one ) and 0,10mH Mundorf air core. I use Gainclone integrated amp and have no any problems. I can tell you about used speaker drive-units only to private e-mail.

Could someone provide a little more information about this project in post #14 by "Carlomar" as I would like to try building it ? What is the X-over frequency ? Does the notch filter being in series follow L2 ? What gauge coil should one us with it ? Link below >
I am now using AR SXO capless whith my SS 15W8530K00 and XT25TG insted of Ellam XT xover.
To me, AR x-over give me more natural sounding, beter highs and less distortion.
I am very happy and will not go back to Ellam XT xover.

My values are,
L1 - 0,10mH, (2mm 0,04ohm)
L2 - 1,5mH, (2mm 0,21ohm)
R1 - 8,2omhs (10W for now but it runs hot, it should be 20w or 50W)
+ Woofer notch for 800hz(3mH+ 18mF+ 8,2ohm) Thank-you any help would be greatly appreciated !

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.