Let's discuss a super-cheap PC speaker system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm running $20 radio shack computer speakers, and I'd like to upgrade. I've been tossing around some ideas.

At first I thought about a super-cheap 2-way system with the Goldwood GT-302 tweeter and GW-4028/S woofer, along with a cheap 6.5" or 8" DVC sub from Goodwood or Dayton.

Another choice is using a pair of Tang Band W3-871S full-range drivers with the same sub configuration. The TB wouldn't require any crossover except for a simple high-pass filter, and would cost about the same as the 2-way setup mentioned above. I figured for what the TB drivers cost, I can even fool around with some ridiculously large TL enclosure to get some room shaking bass at 20hz... or not. :D

Anyway... what are some other super-cheap mini-speaker projects that you guys have done that I can get ideas from?

One more question... how do I amp this very inexpensively too? Are there any cheap 2 channel amps for something like this? I'd really like to keep the amp under $50.

I just finished my 871s. These sound very nice and have lived up to the hype that I've read about. These will probably be delegated for computer use as I'm planning on building a small line array system with the 871s (4 per cabinet).

Up until 12/31/03 these were on sale at neura-acoustic.ca for a whopping $8.25 (normally $10). Needless to say I got 10 + 6 I already had. Great deal!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

-kec

Very nice. Is that hardwood for the front baffle? Ported or sealed? Did you use any electronics?

Thanks. Yes that's hardwood for the front baffle. It's Padauk, an african hardwood. The box is sealed, based on John's design http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11-box2.gif. No electronics at this time. I didn't use John's notch filter either. Since I'm using as a small HT system I didn't bother with a high pass filter, I have my preamp set to "small" 100Hz cutoff.

i'm probably going to go with the tall model he's got on his site. i have a thing for taller floor standing speakers, but because i'm horrible at designing enclosures, i'm gonna stick with this one. i wouldnt mind doing a 3 or 4 driver tower either. cant wait for mine to come in.

SQ Kid said:
i'm probably going to go with the tall model he's got on his site. i have a thing for taller floor standing speakers, but because i'm horrible at designing enclosures, i'm gonna stick with this one. i wouldnt mind doing a 3 or 4 driver tower either. cant wait for mine to come in.

In an earlier thread (diyAudio reference speaker project someone suggested making a reference speaker project where newbies would build a project together and share their experiences with their peers. Quite a few designs were proposed but for some reasons, none really attracted me.

Now SQ Kid has me drooling. A 3-4 driver tower/needle disign using 3" TBs. As I said in quite a few threads. this design appeals to me. The CSS Spires as well as the Alegria Isa look very interesting. If there are enough interest in one of the design, we could really start this newbie experience :cool:

Let's see what others have to say about it. If someone wants to jump on the band wagon and design something different but that still uses the TBs and looks like a tower/needle, let us know and we'll see how it evolves.

well, i dove in and built the bigger of the 3 setups. unfortunately wont have the actual drivers for another week or so and since i'm going back to school this weekend, the speakers will have to wait a bit.

Attachments

• mvc-008s.jpg
    mvc-008s.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 521
i wish i could take credit for the design i used (cause naming my own speaker would be interesting), but i just copied the apparently tried and true design from John's Audio Projects (a couple of us have posted the links). except for the fact that i used 3/4" mdf instead of 5/8" (couldnt find any 5/8 and had tons of 3/4 from car audio projects), its identical. but maybe i should start naming because its slightly different......:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.