Let's discuss a super-cheap PC speaker system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Elf 1.0

The Elf 1.0 using a single Tangband W3-871S is a good candidate for a multimedia satellite, with fairly compact dimensions. I'm looking to modify this design by making it taller and narrower (but maintaining the volume). The external dimensions are 7.50"H x 6.50"W x 7.25"D.

Does anyone know the wall thickness (I assume it's 0.75")? What about the length of the 1"-diameter port?

did a bit more work on the enclosures today. my woodworking skill still leave something to be desired, but since i used thicker than necessary materials, i had quite a bit of breathing room for "touch ups" (mainly matching up corners and such). i tried doing the whole bedliner paint, but i messed up somewhere (guess i should have primered or something or its too cold here to cure right). i instead used some flat black paint that i had from when i did a previous electronic project (my very own arcade style controller). here's another pic of my progress. jsut waiting for it to dry, maybe add a 3rd coat....

Attachments

• mvc-009s.jpg
    mvc-009s.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 426
Maximum size for a multimedia satellite?

Hi all,

In your opinion, what do you think is the maximum acceptable size for a computer satellite? I'm thinking about 0.20 cu ft external volume: 10"H x 6"W x 6"D? Of course, I won't use that particular set of numbers when I actually build one (it's square on two dimensions).

after thinking more about quad 871s towers, i designed a basic and simple tower using the same airspace/driver as the single ones i have now. by going quad, i can still keep it to 8 ohms, but hopefully be able to take a bit more power. these wont be done for a while, but i figured i would convince myself a bit more if i designed something and posted it up. dont laugh at the drawing, it took 5 min in microsoft paint.

all dimensions are meant to be interior; exterior will vary depending on your materials. and drivers arent in any particular layout; just thrown in for reference

Attachments

• quad w3-871s.jpg
    quad w3-871s.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 341
I think a narrower front baffle would look better, personally.

kec - that has to be one of the sexiest W3-871 designs I've seen. It really works around the W3-871's inherent aesthetic awesomeness to have that aesthetic awesomeness spread to the rest of the cabinet. They definitely look like some esoteric, expensive speaker.

I need to order a couple 871s and do something with them. then I could build 6th-order BP bass modules using a 4" driver of some flavor (perhaps the TBs that Parts Express sells) and then sell the set to someone who owns a smalll boombox or minisystem who wants to add awesome sound.

SQ Kid said:
after thinking more about quad 871s towers, i designed a basic and simple tower using the same airspace/driver as the single ones i have now. by going quad, i can still keep it to 8 ohms, but hopefully be able to take a bit more power. these wont be done for a while, but i figured i would convince myself a bit more if i designed something and posted it up. dont laugh at the drawing, it took 5 min in microsoft paint.

all dimensions are meant to be interior; exterior will vary depending on your materials. and drivers arent in any particular layout; just thrown in for reference

These are starting to look like the Alegria Isa except they are a little narrower. The drawing is definitely not to scale but it gives an idea of what it should look like. I'm also in favor of a narrower baffle. The TB's are 3.66 inch in diameter so I presume from looking at the picture of the Spires that the enclosures is around 4.5 inch wide. Even using 3/4" MDF, tha would leave enough space for the magnet which is 2.7 inch in diameter.

From the look of it, the Spires seem to be somewhere around 8-9 inch deep. You might be able to get almost the same volume (around 75 % actually). With a little tweeking for the enclosure and the appropriate electronics to take care of the baffle step I sure is going to be a nice project.

By the time I finish my first TB project, hopefully this project will have mature and I'll be able to build it.

well, seeing how the isa's come up so often, i figured i would talk to their creator. i got a couple replys from him about these speakers. hopefully he doesnt mind me posting this:
"The dimensions are on the site. They are
external accounting for 3/4" thick material. The
actual internal chamber is 37"x5.5"x6.0" about 12.3
liter. The bottom 7" is filled with sand. The internal
volume accounts for a 6" sonotube with enough cut off
to clear the front baffle being inserted. I filled the
gaps between the tube and the enclosure with DapTex
Expanding foam by drilling holes in the top and bottom
of the enclosure to insert a fill tube through. As for
wiring, each pair is wired in parallel then the two
pairs wired in series. A BSC network in in series with
the bottom two drivers. It consists of a 1.0mH iron
core inductor and a 4.5 ohm resistor in parallel.
Optional is lining the inside of the tube with damping
material. Just make sure it's thin. Hope that helps.
Tim"

so basically, the outside is more show than anything. the enclosure itself is the sonotube. but specs seem to be somewhere around 30"x5.5"x6". so i'm fairly close. after looking at the speakers i have now, i guess i could go slightly small for the baffle, but not much. if you were to switch to 1/2" mdf, there would be some more breathing room. with the 3/4" i have for these enclosures, i would worry about the sides being too close.

i'm still very new to the speaker building, so i'm kinda just throwing numbers around and going with what i've gotten to work so far. i have no real dedicated crossover for these speakers yet (will put a cap just to do a basic filter), and i'm still very new to stuff such as other compensation/notch/etc filters. feel free to go nuts with this setup, input's a good thing :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.