exceptional drivers optimized for 2-5khz (1-7Khz)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well this may be a beaten path but since 2-5khz is the most sensitive range for us humans i decide to start a speaker with this freq range and see where I could get (also some passband coverage). So lets say 1Khz to 7Khz.

Looking for your opinions on exceptional drivers optimized for 1-7Khz.
preferably with natural rolloff on both ends, not needing crossovers. Worst case, 6db.

Range: 1-7Khz
Crossover: none or 6db/octave
paper cone preferred
Efficiency as high as possible.

thanks,
Herman

Looking for your opinions on exceptional drivers optimized for 1-7Khz.
preferably with natural rolloff on both ends, not needing crossovers.
Herman,

Although finding a mid driver with a "natural" rolloff on both ends is not difficult, low frequency signal presented to a mid driver even at relatively low levels will make it distort badly if no crossover is used, no matter how exceptional it is.

Art

If you try to make a single driver handle too wide a passband, its performance will suffer, especially if no crossover or an inadequate crossover is used. weltersys already pointed out one drawback. Another one is that you will almost certainly have significantly lobing between this driver and the one above it, frequency-wise. This will limit the width of the vertical plane upon which you can listen in high fidelity.

Crossover: none or 6db/octave

You're essentially asking for the hall monitor to hook you up with illicit drugs. There are fantastic drivers that thrive in the 1khz to 8khz region - compresion drivers, 1" dome tweeters in waveguides, planar mid-tweeters, small cones... the list goes on. But they require a well-designed crossover, which first order acoustical pretty much cannot be above the shroeder frequency, never mind "none at all" unless you're okay with head-in-a-vice sweet spots, abysmal power handling, and unsufficiently suppressed noise created by the paired driver. At which point you've just created as many issues as you've probably solved.

The full range forum can probably suggest some FAST or Full Range that fits your criteria (FF85wKen perhaps) but it's simply another set of compromises you need to understand.

For what it's worth, your best bet for a driver that suits your primary criteria well is the rectangular mid Infinity used in its old Cascade line, but we're talking about sourcing an increasingly rare replacement part here - one that is ceramic and with relatively middling sensitivity.

Scan Speak 10 F ? with the OP requirement and first or second slop filter : maybe a good way to learn and go for more classical crossover after a first DIY speaker ?

So MiniDSP needed and not expensive drivers below and above this little 10 F...unluckily but with no surprise : low effcienty near 93 DB ! : Maybe enough in a small room with 100 Watts and more for good transcient !

there will be a too much off axis gap using those 2 drivers... Neo is clean > 3.5 k hz... some try 3 K hz to match the Neo 10... bad idea ! Some says it is very good at 4 Khz and even better at 6 K hz !

Neo10 : 300 to 2.8 K hz... need EQ...

In theory and from many testimonies, I never tried both of them !

noviygera:

Depending on budget, some of the Fostex and Lowthers may fit your requirements. You can also look at some of the pro audio 6" to 10" drivers from Beyma, Faital, Eminence and several others. US Speaker and Parts Express have an excellent catalog of audio drivers.

However, a good pair of used jbl 2441 2" compression drivers would sonically whip any of the drivers mentioned in your stated frequency range IMHO---along with 108db++ sensitivity. You should state you budget, speaker size limits, room size, and sonic goals.

What are your efficiency requirements and output requirements?

I use a long line of newform narrow planar dynamic drivers for low-level listening in your range, but I raise the crossover frequency when I want to get loud. They'll work wideband in a 2-way at moderate levels, or narrow-band in a 5-way at extreme levels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.