Help to beginner with 13L 2-way budget speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi folks, I am really would like to make a relatively cheap book shelf speakers. I found cabs from Infinity RS 2000 speakers and was thinking that it is a good point to start.
The cabs are ~12-13L and outer measurements are: (HWD)14 1/4x9x7 1/4.
The hole is a bit big, but I will take care of it, by routing a plug out of 3/4 mdf.
I was looking for drivers heaving in mind like ~$200 budget.
I've been reading a lot so my head is pretty dizzy now :)
Here are my thoughts:
Woofer candidates: Dayton RS150 mostly new RS150P, some 6-1/2 peerless (so many of them) and Seas CA15RLY (H1216)
Tweeters: Completely lost :-( Need your suggestions... More CAT308 nice, but pricey, same with SEAS 27TDC, 22TAF/G(this one a bit cheaper but out of stock).
Other options: Vifa's, Dayton, SB acoustic... Please help! :)

About woofers: Dayton RS looks like kinda nice, but I was reading about a cone break up and need complicated filtering... So if you cross it at 2-2.5k do you still need all these filters? What about their new RS paper series, looks a bit smoother for me, should I try it maybe?

So what do you think, is it worth trying to use cheap driver, or crossovers will be so much more complicated than the total will be the same as using Seas CA15RLY and some Seas tweeter?
Would appreciate any directions!

I'd probably go for the Seas CA15RLY because it has a nice, smooth roll-off. You don't want drivers that are difficult to use when you're a beginner.
I think all the Seas tweeters are good, so you I think pretty much anything you choose would be ok. I'd probably go for a 1" tweeter, just to give you more crossover options. The Seas 27TBFC/G is supposed to be very good according to zaphaudio, so would be worth considering.

How are you going to design the crossover? Have you got measuring gear? Software?

Last edited:
This may sound a bit off the wall, but I get interested in some quite retro high efficiency designs rthese days. Cloth surround Eminence bass and cone tweeters! :D

These might be good together in your cabinet:

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker
Phenolic Ring Tweeter 8 Ohm | 270-252

Speakers like this have a terrific clear sound if done right. I'd be looking at a 2.2mH coil and 5.6uF cap on the bass, and a third order 4.7uF/0.2mH/6.8uF on the tweeter. Why follow the herd! :cool:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks guys! So I am choosing mostly between Peerless NOMEX 830875 and RS150P. It looks like they both have some cone breakups at their high end, but Peerless looks a bit smother. Am I right? Tweeters, Id like to stay under $50. These are not going to be my main speakers, they are planned to be TV-computer ones(if end up to sound good :), however I'd like to get the best I can of course :)

Attachments

• Nomex.jpg
    Nomex.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Hi folks, I am really would like to make a relatively
cheap book shelf speakers. I found cabs from Infinity
RS 2000 speakers and was thinking that it is a good
point to start.

You're on a budget, right ? So buy those ones and
be happy with them:

Peerless SDS-160F25PR01-08 6-1/2" Paper Cone Woofer Speaker | 264-1146

a Dynaudio wanna be:

Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter | 275-070

Check this out too:
Zaph|Audio

Ask Greebster about Peerless SDS 160 quality features.
He is having a build in progress as we speak. He will know
for sure.

You'll get more powerfull bass performance with this one.

Maaaaaan I must be missing something. I'm pretty sure I have or had an understanding of vas but those cabinet volume suggestions are kind of losing me. The ones they suggest for the Peerless Nomex 830875 seem realistic but the ones they give for Dayton Audio RS180P on PE page seem way too small.

Maaaaaan I must be missing something. I'm pretty sure I have or had an understanding of vas but those cabinet volume suggestions are kind of losing me. The ones they suggest for the Peerless Nomex 830875 seem realistic but the ones they give for Dayton Audio RS180P on PE page seem way too small.

Requires a small box ~0.33'² for BR, low end extension is not very good, -3dB @46. Done as a MLTL can do 40

X-LS Classic kit

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

If you can't design x/o's discussing drivers is pointless.
The above is good value and very hard to beat for VFM.
In simple terms just build it sealed with your boxes.

If you want cheap and cheerful you'd be hard pushed
to find anything with such good x/o's near the price.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.