Help to beginner with 13L 2-way budget speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How come there isn't a diy kit for an LSB-1 subwoofer to go with the Continuum's. Being so loved and popular but lacking some bass extension I'm a little surprised there isn't. Maybe someone will get the ball rolling and design one so guys like me can build it.

Attachments

• 455534-lsb_1_passive_subwoofer_for_rogers_ls35a.jpg
    455534-lsb_1_passive_subwoofer_for_rogers_ls35a.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 682848-rogers_lsb_1_passive_sub.jpg
    682848-rogers_lsb_1_passive_sub.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
well, yes the conitinuum need a sub below 60hz, BUT I see this almost like advantage. Ive never heard a small 2-way reproduce convincingly and cleanly bass below 50hz -60 hz anyways and if they do, their upper bass will always suffer. You need a dedicated woofer driver for sub frequencie . Any 2-way will need a subwoofer honestly. I prefer a speaker that is from 70 hz and up flat, clean and, from what ive heard, stunning!

If you cannot add a subwoofer, I would build the continuum TL that can go to the low 40's.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Has anybody measured these AC13F-1 drivers, are they really that good in reality? According to specs, they are better than Seas Excel for a fraction of cost!
everybody who heard them in the continuum loved them. The speaker wons shows everytime it shows up or its one of the favorite of the public so I think that yes, the woofer performs well. Bagby really like its midrange capability

I will actually be building a pair soon, I feel that the continuum speaker is a must in anyones colection as a reference and a really special speaker from what Ive read

I would like to and may. Any thoughts on swaying from there original looks more and making the baffles flat to the edge? Maybe even rounding the side edges off to aid with diffraction. I'm thinking keeping them as close as possible to original was surely intended, which I can and do appreciate. But why not if it could make something that sounds great sound even better. The purist in me would say leave them alone they look great as they are. And the picky listener would say go ahead and try it, what if...?

I would like to and may. Any thoughts on swaying from there original looks more and making the baffles flat to the edge? Maybe even rounding the side edges off to aid with diffraction. I'm thinking keeping them as close as possible to original was surely intended, which I can and do appreciate. But why not if it could make something that sounds great sound even better. The purist in me would say leave them alone they look great as they are. And the picky listener would say go ahead and try it, what if...?

You should model it with Edge

Home of the Edge

Helps to take out the guess work ;)

Or as old school would do, mockup and measure. If we're talking about diffraction effects above 200Hz an OB U frame works. Heck I only add a few screws or clamps (glue) to hold it all together and get very good results.

Hi,

JB desgns good DIY speakers but is not God and does not have access to magic.

The Continuums are what they are, a very nice homage to the LS3/5A
with in particular its classic bass bump - which balances the lack of real
bass extension somewhat - like the original it sounds well balanced
and full for a small speaker - but the ravings above are misplaced
for any decent DIY design. Pay your money - take your choice.

rgds, sreten.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi,

JB desgns good DIY speakers but is not God and does not have access to magic.

rgds, sreten.
Sometime, a design works so well that it almost seems like magic, indeed. Who said Jeff is god?

have you even heard the continuum? If not, you shouldnt say anything about how they sound and how you think they sound.
"but the ravings above are misplaced
for any decent DIY design"
its on the contrary the place to say that the continuum won many DIY events and that many thinks its one of the best small speaker they have ever heard. Those are facts.

Last edited:
Hi,

JB desgns good DIY speakers but is not God and does not
have access to magic or methods not available to others.

Claiming he is some form of voicing guru is pointless.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.