The dirty little secret of horns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is TAD 4002 the best driver ever maid for horn?
Is diaphragm driver in plastic sound like plastic ?
Is thin horn with plastic sound like plastic ?

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

Want to know before dying !
probably only for a direct driver. The horn unless very rigid will impart its fabric sound.

I would like to know the best current 1" and 11/4" driver so I can test in a speaker and and tell. Same for horn to match. OS? JMLC? probably Geddes as we have dialogue unlike JMLC. Both good guys but how good

I will eventually waste money on the Faital HF140 from looking at the numbers on a pipe, but from what I can see if you have a big horn and enough headroom its going to be about EQ until the harmonics converge enough to get in the way. Curious about the EV DH1 too and whether or not the 3" domes can get up there as well as 1.4 and 2" also curious about the horn adapters because I doubt the is anything the can get as low and as high efficiently as these Peaveys, they are remarkable after EQ. Did I mention serious SPL ? (which to me meand clarity) Count me in as a general fan of Electro Voice they always did everything right.

I will eventually waste money on the Faital HF140 from looking at the numbers on a pipe, but from what I can see if you have a big horn and enough headroom its going to be about EQ until the harmonics converge enough to get in the way. Curious about the EV DH1 too and whether or not the 3" domes can get up there as well as 1.4 and 2" also curious about the horn adapters because I doubt the is anything the can get as low and as high efficiently as these Peaveys, they are remarkable after EQ. Did I mention serious SPL ? (which to me meand clarity) Count me in as a general fan of Electro Voice they always did everything right.

See where you are coming from.

When I figure in the material used for making the diaphragm, the limit for HF extension to proper levels may be a just a bit higher with a horn and phase plug effect to linearise the sound propogation into the throat and horn. A 3/4" dome beats 1" dome direct radiator. I guess 1" is probably around the limit for a pressure driver as it is wavelength limited by throat dimension. The larger diameters just cannot get the extension and need a super tweeter. PA does not need the high extension audiophiles need. All the old Lansing. Altec etc did fine with early roll of for cinema etc. Beryllium has altered things but at a silly price. There are cheaper materials that will displace Be to get the cost down in the next few years. People like the name beryllium and it helps sell it like platinum, diamonds etc Who falls in love with polyester laminate or aluminium.

...On that note I do with to comment that my Peavey 22a drivers have a nectarine round naughtiness with just a few notes of a breathy nipplyness. The Nautilous D series in comparison has a bit of a ruptured Trojanic quality that while not overtly objectionable tends to damp the harmonic climaxxness to some degree. Obviously in some rooms and driven with exactly the right SET tube amp sporting a matched pair of Lithuanianian 6L6 tubes, this will not be an issue.

If the mixing gig doesn't work out you can get a job as a wine reviewer.

Last edited:
The B&W 801 matrix are found in more mastering houses than any other speaker, and the reason DB. Keele used then to compare is they have been his reference speakers for decades too! Mediocre? Yes among the most accurate direct radiation speakers ever made, which makes them in fact mediocre, as they are the standard reference, flat and reliable
I think you are on to something peteleoni. EQ/DSP can approve things a lot.

The B&W Matrix are by the way very mediocre speakers. It doesn' take a lot for something to be better. Take a look at the measurements below where they are compared to CBT36's.
http://www.audioartistry.com/brochures/B&W 801 vs. CBT36 Ground-Plane Measurements v8.1.pdf

Take a look at the measurements below where they are compared to CBT36's.

Clearly Don Keele does not value horizontal directivity control (its very bad in that data). I never understood his position on this, we have argued it many times. I would turn the CBTs on their side and place them against the side walls and deal with the floor and ceiling reflections in the room, not in the speaker.

The truth is they were DB Keeles reference speak for a reason, we use them in studios for a reason. They are good accurate speakers. What they can not do is the same thing all direct radiation speakers can not do and that is dynamics. They squash the life out of close mike drums, acoustic piano, dynamic singers, the list goes on. They Di the job they were made for well, and that job is being a crosd section of "everymans" speaker. They are expensive but they do what they are made to do. They lack the impact and clarity of horns simple as that.

I restored a pair of the original 801s and I can honestly say they do a simple speaking male voice more realistically than any speaker I've ever heard. Turn on NPR and the guy is in the room especially in mono with one speaker. Can one of those silly line sources do that?

Keele nearly perfected the nice round speaker wheel in the 70s and had been trying to give it flat spots ever since (-:
Clearly Don Keele does not value horizontal directivity control (its very bad in that data). I never understood his position on this, we have argued it many times. I would turn the CBTs on their side and place them against the side walls and deal with the floor and ceiling reflections in the room, not in the speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.