Rough idea for SEOS 12 in a TV pedestal sound bar - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2013, 05:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rough idea for SEOS 12 in a TV pedestal sound bar

Friend wants me to build a sound bar for an apartment. No true sub woofer, too much for neighbors. Wants great clear sound with some bass.
His TV sits on a credenza thingy about 4 feet long. Tv is about 42" wide. Not much room in his place for speakers on stands.

This pedestal-style sound bar design would have the TV sit on top of the flat down firing woofer.
Like this type: SpeakerCraft CS3 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Since SEOS 12 has a great polar response so I thought put them on hinges by mounting the seos to a MDF frame that has a roundover. Or a small mdf open back box for more support. Attached to a flat woofer (firing down, port pointing forward) box and let him swing the seos to create the right sound and imaging for his listening position, around 6-8 feet away.
See Top View image below.

Xovers probably all 2nd order.
One small 10-20watt stereo amp inside the woofer box for mids and seos. One 50w amp for woofer.

The mid driver and woofer below are ideas that look like they might work well.

1,200hz- 16khz SEOS 12 and Denovo Audio DNA-350 Compression Driver
Denovo Audio DNA-350 compression driver DIY Sound Group
SEOS-12? Gloss Finish - SEOS? - Plastic - The SEOS? Waveguides DIY Sound Group

150hz - 1,200hz MID DRIVER FaitalPRO 6FE200 6" Professional Midrange Speaker 8 Ohm
FaitalPRO 6FE200 6" Professional Woofer 8 Ohm 294-1152

50hz- 150hz WOOFER Dayton Audio PA200-8
Dayton Audio PA200-8 8" Pro Woofer Speaker 295-025

Anybody have any constructive thoughts about this project? Thank, Bruce

(One other option to save him some money was to use the EOS8 Denovo Audio EOS-8 DIY Sound Group with DNA 150 Denovo Audio DNA-150 compression driver DIY Sound Group with a xover around 2khz. Still mounted on MDF with roundovers and hinges. MID could be FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" [/size]FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" Professional Woofer 8 Ohm 294-1124 or similar)[/b]

Top view. TV would sit on the 18 x 18 x 8" sub box.
Click the image to open in full size.
Front view.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by makingmoney; 8th September 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 9th September 2013, 09:45 AM   #2
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

The mids would need to come with the tweeters. They should be used up to a frequency where they are more directional, and matched to the tweeters so their direction relative to the tweeter is a factor.
Old 9th September 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
The mids would need to come with the tweeters. They should be used up to a frequency where they are more directional, and matched to the tweeters so their direction relative to the tweeter is a factor.
You message is a little hard to understand for me. But if I understand a little bit, would it be better to cross over at 2200hz (wavelength 6.1") to 2500hz (wavelength 5.4" on a 6" driver) to have the mid driver be more directional at the xover.
If that's true, then I would use a smaller waveguide like the EOS 6 or EOS 8 using the DNA 150 CD (saving my friend some money but maybe using Eminence Alpha-6A 6" Midrange 8 Ohm Eminence Alpha-6A 6" Midrange 8 Ohm 290-400)
EOS 6: Denovo Audio EOS6 waveguide DIY Sound Group
EOS 8: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...ides/eos-8.htm
DNA 150: Denovo Audio DNA-150 compression driver DIY Sound Group

Did I understand what you meant?

Additional concept info:
The idea of this sound bar is to sit the TV on top, be small, efficient and very dynamic from 100-200hz on up.
He listens a lot to the music channels (Time Warner Cable) on his cable box, like R&B, disco and lounge type music. He'll be using the 3.5mm port for music from iPod/Pad/Phone devices.
Bass only has to go down to 40-60hz. Most likely around 60hz. Finding efficient bass in a small size as always, seems to be a barrier right now.

I might add in Bluetooth, but does it still sound as crappy as it did about 2 years ago? Anyone know?

Last edited by makingmoney; 9th September 2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Additional concept info
Old 9th September 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Bluetooth between my Samsung Note 2 and 2013 VW car stereo is awful.
Old 10th September 2013, 01:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingmoney View Post
Did I understand what you meant?
I think so.

You'll have a hard time finding a smaller woofer with high efficiency and a low fs.
Old 10th September 2013, 02:52 AM   #6
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingmoney View Post
Bass only has to go down to 40-60hz. Most likely around 60hz. Finding efficient bass in a small size as always, seems to be a barrier right now.
Because it doesn't exist. Check out the Anarchy woofer if you want deep bass in a small package, but it's far from efficient.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:24 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think so.

You'll have a hard time finding a smaller woofer with high efficiency and a low fs.
One other solution I came up with was to use 2 mid drivers per side to keep the xover around 1200hz. But it was getting expensive. If doubling the drivers is a workable solution maybe I'll look for 2 similar, efficient, cheaper drivers.
For example PRV Audio 6MB200 6-1/2" PRV Audio 6MB200 6-1/2" Midbass Woofer 8 Ohm 294-2700

Would using 2 5-6" mid drivers per side (essentially now a 10-12" mid to match the 11" wavelength for 1200hz xover) be another good solution?

Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 10:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It might be possible to mount your woofers above/below the waveguide so that their interference trims the vertical directivity to match the waveguide, however the natural directivity of the single drivers still needs to match the waveguide horizontally.
Old 10th September 2013, 11:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Because it doesn't exist. Check out the Anarchy woofer if you want deep bass in a small package, but it's far from efficient.
I had looked at the anarchy. Too inefficient. Much to like.

I think the efficiency and other parameters make this a better choice for this app Dayton Audio PA200-8 8" Pro Woofer Speaker 295-025 I'm open to other suggestions.
Old 10th September 2013, 01:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It might be possible to mount your woofers above/below the waveguide so that their interference trims the vertical directivity to match the waveguide, however the natural directivity of the single drivers still needs to match the waveguide horizontally.
I have to keep the design a slim horizontal to work so that means extra compromises. I had to give up on vertical directivity.

Having the waveguides on hinges so they can be angled to cross in front of the center listener position, and have the mids firing straight ahead, would hopefully make the horizontal plane less of a problem.

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!