Choosing between three mid drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heh-heh, I like the PS, Andy - I've been having a similar problem but in my case its largely due to very slow typing...

Thanks for the thoughts on SPL; I realise its all down to personal taste but as long as I'm not aiming far too high, I'd rather have a margin for safety. After all the time, effort and money I'll be sinking into this it would be sad to then be unhappy with something as basic as the volume.

Cheers
kev

cool looking monitor .... with a mid dome

funny, but i was actually thinking about suggesting a pro/studio woofer crossed higher ... hmm :scratch2:
Possibly this sort of thing may be contributing to my concern about not under-doing it. In the distant past I helped out with a bit of live music from time to time, and the power and dynamic range of even quite modest studio/PA sound systems seemed to achieve a very 'real world' quality to the sound, even if not always of the highest fidelity.

On this occasion I'll only ever be playing pre-recorded music or film tracks and I definitely want hi-fi speakers. But I'd like them not to be lacking a decent bit of kick if and when the recordings ask for it.

Cheers
kev

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Kev, I was just thinking whether you had been factoring in baffle step comp, did a quick search and saw that Face raised it early on.
Though I can't claim to understand baffle step enough to say for sure; without that I'm getting 108dB at 150w for the ROY (my amp's power) and less than 100dB for the 10F at its max 15w

Thanks
kev

I'd suggest that you should download one of the baffle step simulation progs, such as "the Edge" Jeff Bagby's spreadsheet based app, or BDS from the FRD consortium. The edge is probably the easiest choice.

If you cross over around the baffle step frequency you can probably get away with just bumping up the gain on the woofer amp, however you will be losing efficiency below the baffle step frequency. You probably should be allowing for a minimum of 3db loss (which would fit with your 105db if you max out at 108db)

The baffle geometry will affect your crossover so it is worth getting familiar with it's role in the whole design process.

Placement of the speakers will have an effect as well, if the speakers will be quite a long way from the wall you may need more than 3db of compensation.

Tony.

I'd suggest that you should download one of the baffle step simulation progs, such as "the Edge" Jeff Bagby's spreadsheet based app, or BDS from the FRD consortium. The edge is probably the easiest choice.

If you cross over around the baffle step frequency you can probably get away with just bumping up the gain on the woofer amp, however you will be losing efficiency below the baffle step frequency. You probably should be allowing for a minimum of 3db loss (which would fit with your 105db if you max out at 108db) The baffle geometry will affect your crossover so it is worth getting familiar with it's role in the whole design process.

Placement of the speakers will have an effect as well, if the speakers will be quite a long way from the wall you may need more than 3db of compensation.
Tony.
Thanks Tony, I'll download it and have a play. i did do some reading on baffle step after Face raised it, so i understand somewhat more about it now, but I'd still find it hard to quantify with any confidence without some help from a simulation programme so those could be most useful.

The speakers will be reasonably close to a wall, but its messy and less than ideal as they'll be partially in or just in front of some 12" deep 3' wide alcoves either side of the chimney breast. This may help subs and infrasonics, but in the case of these main speakers I don't want to go for any type of design thats too sensitive to placement, as far as thats reasonably possible anyway.

EDIT: one thing I have considered is panelling directly across the alcoves to the chimney breast to form a continuous flush wall/baffle across that end of the room, with the alcoves serving to house the enclosure behind, there would be far less step down for the bass driver and quite a lot of volume for the cabinet that way, and it would simplify the number of internal corners and reflections, too. but maybe thats excessive...

Cheers
kev

Last edited:
Thanks also Greebster and face, yeah it seems like it could be a range of values depending on circumstances.. So I'll also have a look at the Diffraction and Boundary Simulator stuff, looks interesting from the screen shots.

I think ultimately i'll have to build some trial enclosures and get some sort of microphone for actual testing before I leap in with making the real cabinet. But if I can get it roughly right to begin with it'll help avoid fundamentally awkward mistakes with the choice of drivers.

Cheers
kev

A potentially daft question.. The SPL/sensitivity charts and specs for drivers don't always say if they were taken in a baffle or not (sometimes they do and have been), which may be one reason why WinISD often has a slightly different view of what the sensitivity is.

Should I assume that WinISD's sensitivity calculations are always for just the driver and that baffle gain would be on top?

Thanks
Kev

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I thnk that winisd modeled results assume an infinite baffle. So what you will actually see is a "potential" 6 db loss at the lowest point of the diffraction curve as opposed to any gain in the higher frequencies.

In any normal room though you will not need full 6db of compensation.

Tony.

I have looked into baffle step a bit more now; its perhaps not as scary as i thought, though I think i'd need measuring equipment to have confidence in purposely using it rather than avoiding it.

There are circuits that would help compensate, but would I be right in thinking that arranging the baffle size to step at about the mid/bass crossover frequency would let me compensate well enough simply through altering the relative driver/amp power?

Cheers
kev

I have looked into baffle step a bit more now; its perhaps not as scary as i thought, though I think i'd need measuring equipment to have confidence in purposely using it rather than avoiding it.

There are circuits that would help compensate, but would I be right in thinking that arranging the baffle size to step at about the mid/bass crossover frequency would let me compensate well enough simply through altering the relative driver/amp power?

Cheers
kev

The width changes the frequency where BSL kicks in. Wider, lower the frequency, narrower higher. If made sufficiently wide we don't have loss aka an infinite baffle. Floor loading also doesn't have the low end loss caused by a narrower than optimal baffle that plagues tall thin towers. Changing level will raise or lower the entire spectrum of said driver when what we require is more akin to a shallow low pass filter, which sacrifices effeciency at the top end. Adding additional drivers as in an mtmMM where the MM sums with the mm to compensate without loss of effeciency. This can be 2/3 or 4 additional drivers depending on placement eg 3dB, 4.5dB and 6dB compensation. Floor loading with only two drivers gain 6dB, in this case EQ is your friend. :)

Ah, thanks indeed. Yes i see what you mean about the shallow pass filter rather than raising the whole driver; guess the 'step' is too much of a gentle slope to deal with using driver power and a 4th order crossover point.. Possibly it would be easier to arrange for the baffle step to occur within a single driver's range and tweak just that driver's response curve. EDIT: although maybe its stoo shallow to fully do that..

I'd read about using extra drivers to fill in for losses via baffle step, but i suspect that may be getting a bit complex for my first real build. Although.. I would probably trust myself to try the floor loading with a sub.

cheers
kev

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I'd read about using extra drivers to fill in for losses via baffle step, but i suspect that may be getting a bit complex ...

that will usually be a 2.5way
(mostly a 2way with two identical woofers)

in a 3way its good practice to use a woofer with higher sensitivity that the mid

but BSC can be a very delicate balance act
its easy enough to attenuate a midrange
if you can live with that
but you really do not want to attenuate a woofer, in the common sense
but might be done by using very big inductor
though not very practical, and expencive

btw, box tuning could in some cases have some influence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.