Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Kev06 is offline Kev06  England
diyAudio Member

Default SEAS L26 ROY or alternative in 3-way?

I'm planning to build some sealed-enclosure 3-way active speakers. I wasn't intending to have a subwoofer but will occasionally be using the system for HT; so good performance with low bass would be beneficial, provided that it doesn't noticably compromise things for music.

In another thread it was suggested that the 10" seas L26 ROY subwoofer driver is unusually linear and distortion free, and so can actually make a good bass driver for a 3-way 'if' crossed over reasonably low. I'm wondering, is the L26 ROY out on its own in this respect, or are there any other recomendations for drivers that will go low and yet stay nicely clean up to a lowish x-over with mid-range?

I'm also wondering if perhaps two more normal bass drivers (and so less excursion per driver) may be the way to go if they have a low enough fs - but they'd have to be much cheaper if I'm going to need two of them per speaker.

Cheers
kev
Old 2nd July 2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Juhazi is online now Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

I guess that I'm the one who mentioned that. I use it up to 200Hz LR4 in a active 4-way. Sound is good!

A discussion at HTG http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...53-Seas-L26ROY - high extension, low distortion, high efficiency also suitable for a passive 3-way.

Mr. Håvard Sollien, R&D Engineer at SEAS, says "Having worked extensively in the development of this driver, I am very pleased with the result and I am confident the customers will feel the same. The unique features of this driver make it a versatile choice for powered subwoofers – or even passive 3 way designs."

Quite similar Dayton RS265HO is used in some designs. Daytons are difficult to get here in Europe.

Actually, I think that a sigle 10" is too little for a SUBwoofer! Distortion rises inevitably with huge cone movement even in a sealed box. But it is decent as a pair.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 2nd July 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Many thanks! Yes IIRC it was indeed you that inspired this :-)

I'm really keen on the idea; in addition to occasional HT use I would like quite a wide mid-range with a fairly low crossover, so it seems to make sense to take advantage of that and have a bass/sub driver with a lower range.

I've been unable to find anything as well recommended as the L26ROY for this sort of use, and that quote is yet more encouragement, so I've more or less decided to go with it, but thought I'd better ask around before hitting 'buy'.

I'll have a pair of them (left and right), and probably shouldn't need to drive them beyond xmax even at quite high volume peaks. I'm not intending any electronic extension/equalisation and they'll just be used for living room type SPLs, so a couple of 10" drivers should be fine for me.

Thanks again!
Kev
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Jay1111 is offline Jay1111  United States
diyAudio Member

The L26 ROY is definitely a very nice woofer, it is also very expensive for a 10" with 14mm xmax. You can easily get a 12" woofer for less money that will get the job done
One, or even two of these Peerless SLS is more capable, and can handle a very high xover point.
The Madisound Speaker Store

SB Acoustics also has some very good performers for a solid price.
The Madisound Speaker Store
Old 2nd July 2013, 08:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Excellent, many thanks.

Thats the sort of thing i was wondering about, really - it seems hard to beat the L26ROY like-for-like, but maybe a bigger driver and/or two drivers with correspondingly lower excursion could possibly have similarly good performance. By doubling up, there would also seem to be benefits in power requirements, depending on the sensitivities.

I'll have a play around with the parameters in winISD and see how these things compare.

EDIT: impressive looking speakers and nice website! I'll definitely be looking through it in more detail.

Cheers
kev

Last edited by Kev06; 2nd July 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

PartsExpress Dayton Reference

Built like tank and much better Qt of 0.5
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Jay1111 is offline Jay1111  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
PartsExpress Dayton Reference

Built like tank and much better Qt of 0.5
Agreed that would be ideal, but how hard/costly is it to get Dayton drivers where the OP is located?
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, its unfortunate but quite a lot of the drivers (and other things) mentioned on these forums are more costly to get here so (if you can get them at all) they're competing in a different price bracket. I've not found a good source of Dayton yet, but I'll seek around and see what I can find.

Cheers
kev
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Juhazi is online now Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

There are several retailers of Dayton over here. But you can't trust their websites' info of availability. I had to wait more than 4 months to get a pair of 15" Dayton that were said to be in stock at EuropeAudio. And all the time the website said that they are on stock!

SEAS ROY is 175€+cargo over here, Dayton RSS265 list price is almost same. US prices are reasonable but overseas cargo, VAT and duty double this price! Initially I wanted to buy DaytonRSS! There is an offer at Europeaudio!

Double SLS10 or single SLS12 means a huge box! ROY is ok in 20 -30L sealed. When going active sensitivity is not a problem.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 3rd July 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm using the L26ROY as full-range driver in a bass guitar cabinet. It works very well, even though the sensitivity is a bit low, but that is easy to overcome with enough amp power.

I'm also using it for subwoofers in my home theater, I have eight of them in 25 liter closed boxes. It sounds very good, clean, undistorted and with great impact.

It's a very good driver indeed.

Hide this!Advertise here!