Aura NS6-255-8A 6" in a 12 L ported box - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2013, 10:48 PM   #31
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAUDIO View Post
So vented not feasible at all if I am tearing the woofer with only 18 W.
I will not get any other Aura. It looks is a crap woofer for what you are telling me, and at a transport cost of 60 $ I can spend better my money next time.
Sorry AT, I don't think I explained myself well enough. Xmax is the excursion limit before the voice coil starts to go above and below the magnet so that's the point where sound quality starts to suffer. Usually the mechanical limit of cone excursion is larger but Aura hasn't given that spec so I don't know exactly what it is. When it's reached, it'll still probably take a whole boatload of power to tear the cone. Maybe the voice coil would fry first - I don't know, but either way it'll start sounding bad before that.

Here's the thing - I'm not saying it's a crap driver, but every driver has its limitations so you have to use it in the right application. It's actually quite a good driver if you use it for its midrange and not down too low and not at excessive SPL for a single driver. And the value ratio is also very good over here where it's selling for about $10, but for you at $60, well, not so much unfortunately. I wasn't aware that that was your cost.
Quote:
That said, before scrapping the whole project and buy a ready made chinese boombox, I would try to understand if sealed is a possible solution. Why everybody in PA is convinced that vented boxes push more on bass?
A vented box will get you more bass but it means that the cone is going to have to be moving in and out a lot more and the driver needs to be designed for that. Xmax on the Aura is 4mm but 10 or 15mm would be much better in this application. Certain drivers are better for sealed boxes and others are better vented. The functionality of a driver is going to depend on how you want to use it.
Quote:
Then I do not see why if the sealed box would work with 2 x crap Auras it won´t work with the Aura + Celestion 5" Neo . That driver is only a couple of dB spl under the Aura and goes well up to 9K- I can make a removable baffle, so that would be my only risk at this point-I can scrap the bullets if they are really so bad, or cut them badly with a couple of Kohms and 2-5 uF.
Sorry, I was hoping you'd be able to understand from my last post. It will work with the Celestion but the 1 Aura still won't play as loud as you might need it down in the low frequencies. When you start to use multiples of the same driver, then each driver has to work less, so therefore, they can play louder. Since the Aura will play easily up to 3000Hz or a little above, and because space is at a premium for you, that makes the Celestion a bit of a redundancy. I was trying to show you that if you used just 20L (less than what you were planning before), and used 2 Auras sealed from 20Hz up to 3000Hz and then just added a regular tweeter for 3000Hz and up, that that would work better for you. It would be better still if you used 4 Auras and just a tweeter in about 40L.

But really, it's not such a good suggestion now that I know how much you have to pay for those Auras.

So, what to do?
Actually since you have everything there already, I would make up some cardboard test boxes, put the drivers in them, crank it up and decide whether or not everything I've just been telling you is true or not. Decide with your own ears whether or not it sounds good enough for you. Go ahead and try it sealed and vented and with 1 Aura and with 2. Proceed after that based on the outcome.
Old 6th March 2013, 11:44 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

ATAUDIO,
The limitation on the Aura is the surround, that is what will limit that drivers maximum excursion. You will run out of physical motion before the voicecoil could possibly leave the gap, that it will never do, the magnetic gap is very long for that little driver. When it runs out of excursion you will know it as it will make very horrible noise for sure. All that being aside you can get them fairly load and I have used them in a ported box, just don't try and tune them below the resonant frequency they will not appreciate it. I think that the 16 watt limitation may be lower than reality, they will take a bit of power but just to be safe you do have to remember that it is really a small driver. If I had mine in hand I would just mail you another pair, but the customs and mailing anything to Austria is probably stupidly expensive. I sent my niece a package to Amsterdam and it cost me more to send it than what inside was worth! Don't dispare just yet. I would sell the mids and the bullets if you could and buy a pair of dome tweeters if at all possible if it was me.
Old 7th March 2013, 08:11 AM   #33
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

Since you already have the drivers go ahead and build the boxes.
The fact that they will be used outdoors means that it will not matter that much if there is a slight peak in the frequency response.
A vented box will definitely give you more SPL in the bass.
You can build it and try different length ports to see what suits you best. You can't do that with a fixed slot so I do not recommend a slot port.
In a 20lt box you can try different 5cm round tubes with lengths from 11cm long (44Hz) down to 2cm (71Hz).
You can model different tube diameters in WinISD very easily.
IMHO the Celestion midrange driver is not needed and it will most likely not improve anything but if you have to use it put it in a very small sealed compartment (just enough to fit in) and cross it at 500-800Hz. You will also need an Lpad to adjust the sensitivity of the piezo to match the midrange.
An other option would be to get a suitable tweeter to match with the aura woofers and make a second pair with just the Celestion mids and the piezos in a very small enclosure powered by a second tAmp and use them as assistance or as monitors so they don't get wasted.

Last edited by SpirosZ; 7th March 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 3rd April 2013, 04:49 PM   #34
ATAUDIO is offline ATAUDIO  Austria
diyAudio Member

Some updates:
I have given up with the creepy Aura/Celestion combi, as many here suggested.
Too much effort in building and not the SPL that I wanted.
I am now experimenting with a couple of Moancor 8" , 4 Ohm (SP202E).
They have no complete T/S specs, but they come cheap, have a good SPL and more than all are lightweight.
As tweeter I am keeping the previus Pyle piezo stuff, at least for the moment.
Ist order crossover or not at all.
The woofers will get about 20L of ported box each. Port Tuning will be done by listening, but I will stat with about 2" x 3", 3" deep . Any suggestion, again, very welcomed
Old 3rd April 2013, 05:18 PM   #35
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

You may want to check Visaton BG20 as well.
Old 15th April 2013, 03:30 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I opted for the Monacors sp202E for price&availability and also lighter weight.
Now they are arrived, and I am (re)designing the box. Things get simpler with a single 4 Ohm woofer. I can reach to some 30 or 33 l that would suffice if it would be a SP202 C.
Unfortunately I could not found T&S parameters for the SP202 E. However it looks almost the same and maybe the last letter is only and update commercial designation.
Anybody has experience with this drivers in a small ported box?
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:25 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I'm putting together a 2-way with this Aura, and it is very heavy on the low end, needs a wide long port to curb that, the bigger box the better. I'm using a 2.5" diameter pipe. If you can cross it at 500 Hz, that's great. Its midrange is not very good, loss of detail and a severe lacking in output between 1.5k Hz and 4.5k Hz. 4.5k Hz is a loud peak that only brings misery. I'll post the crossover and a youtube recording when I'm done putting the box together.
Old 13th May 2013, 07:34 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Some test on the go...
About 2 x 20 liters, rectangular ports made out from the bottom of the electronics/battery bay.
Light construction ("marine" okume' plywood 8 mm, with 20x20 mm skeleton).
All structural joins are glued and have screws, except for the baffle that has only (big) screws, making it removable. First baffle will go with the Aura then we will see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prominatorA1.jpg (55.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 27th May 2013, 04:53 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

coming up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prominator2.jpg (9.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 4th June 2013, 12:12 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Almost done! only a grid is missing.
At the end, looks like the best way to cross it over was with only the dampening resistor in series with the piezo (24 ohm used). I tried with more complicate ways (paralleling a low ohm and then a first order HP + LPAD) but the highs were always "muffled".
Now, SPL, plenty of it. At max volume the box hardly can't handle it and anyway the xmax limit of the Aura is reached a little bit earlier.
But until then the sound is full and robust, without appreciable distortion.
Much bass that I can feel "in my stomach" and crystal highs.
I do not know yet if I am going to try to make anoter baffle with the 8" Monacors...
.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!