thor vs odin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
robert, I have not heard the speaker you spoke of. I currently have seas speakers. Mine are essentially 1/2 of the old Odin, they are a MT and the odins are MTM. I am very pleased with them. They put the 'clear' in clarity. I have been very pleased with my speakers and was wanting to upgrade, though I am not sure going to a MTM versus the MT is an upgrade. I have always been fascinated by TL speakers and therefore I am interested in the Thor more so than the Odin. Mike

I live in a small town and therefore I am the only one I know of with a seas speaker...no one I know has even heard of seas. I dont have much hope of hearing an odin or thor out here in crop dusting country. Now if I was interested in pioneer or bose, well everyone here thinks bose is the best....doubtful if I will get to hear one so I was hoping to get a response here.

yeah I don't know anyone who's heard any of these-looks like we'll just have to trust all the good reviews and hope we aren't disapointed

I can't afford an orion so I'm looking at the cheaper options and so far it's looking like thor-some others I'm considering are the north creek rhythms and GR research diluceo-but I think the TL bass of the thor will integrate better with my IB sub and the qaulity is more than eqaul to any commercial design I could afford

SEAS KITS - good news to you

Hi,

Seas is just about to release their new kit on their webiste (www.seas.no)

It is a 3 way system , and according to them it is their best diy speaker so far... by a good margin.

I haven't listened to an all SEAS speaker system so far, but all the loudspeakers I listened to that had a Seas Excell midrange sounded very good (the amphion krypton was excellent when partenered with a lidenmann cd player and the rogue audio power amp -the huge one-) : neutral, but not lean, with a very nice tecture and richness to the sound -without being warm- , with a great ease, and with a very good sense of rythm....

I am sure that any seas kits will be far better than the bose stuff your mates probably have at home....
And now that I remember, I think there is a Jamo 3 way loudspeaker with a Seas Excell midrange. If you manage to listen to it in your town you my get a rough idea of what a seas midrange will do for you... (I have never listened to the Jamos, so I am not sure of the magic that its crossover may have, but you will loose nothing for trying it out...)

Good luck!

UK Kits

Yes,,,, thats right, and if my memory isn't wrong I think they had a Seas 3 way system.....
Cross your fingers and maybe your're lucky and they are using the same drivers as Seas on their new kit...
That way you could allways try both the crossovers and find out which one suits you better...

Best of luck

MikeZ, I'm a proud owner of the Thor.

The Thor sounds great, super-great with acoustical music. The treble and midrange are both great, though the millenium can be a little too revealing. So the recordings have to of better value.
The bass is the drawback with Thor, but if you put it on some descent spikes, you will experience a real good allrounder. This is indeed a highend loudspeaker, no doubt what so ever.

b_online: Does the new kit from Seas have a name?

Brian, have you been able to compare the thors to the odin? I suspected the thors would give better low bass than the odin, but from the graphs at the seas site I didnt see any large difference. I know both of the crossovers are the same. I figure the difference must be a subjective one.

The speakers I built are essentially 1/2 odins, a tweeter and a woofer only, and I really enjoy them. I know what you mean about the weight of these speakers, my cabinets are very small but they are 1.5 inch MDF and internally braced with MDF and they weigh 35 lbs so I can only guess yours are about 100 lbs!

Do you have any input on why you chose the thor over the odin?

Thanks Mike

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
MikeZ said:
Brian, have you been able to compare the thors to the odin? I suspected the thors would give better low bass than the odin, but from the graphs at the seas site I didnt see any large difference. I know both of the crossovers are the same. I figure the difference must be a subjective one.

The speakers I built are essentially 1/2 odins, a tweeter and a woofer only, and I really enjoy them. I know what you mean about the weight of these speakers, my cabinets are very small but they are 1.5 inch MDF and internally braced with MDF and they weigh 35 lbs so I can only guess yours are about 100 lbs!

Do you have any input on why you chose the thor over the odin?

Thanks Mike

I haven't heard both, but as for the Thor TL design, I plugged in the TL into the Martin King's mathcad sheets, and it seems far from optimal. You could probably design your own TL with his sheets and get a enclosure better then both the original Thor and Odin. The reason that I choose the TL was the appeal of a non-standard speaker enclosure, and I wanted something floorstanding, so I wouldn't have to use stands. If I was to do it again, I would do my own TL with the drivers, but I invested too much time building the speakers to do it over again.

I built the Peerless Pipes TL speakers based on Bob Brine's design (pics on my website). Last week, I helped a friend build a pair of speakers in a 1ft^3 ported box (PE enclosure), and the resulting speaker sounded very similar (used my same crossovers for listening). The bass response didn't seem any worse. Hopefully I will get a chance to do some more listening of the two in the same room to get a fair comparison.

--
Brian

MikeZ said:
ChriSka, did you build the thor yourself?
Mike

MikeZ, I had a furniture-carpeneter (is there another word for this?) make the boxes. The rest of it, I did myself. The cabinets are in black high-gloss, with real wood inn front. The total cost for my Thor is about $3400. This is with a rather expensive crossover, internal wiring, spikes and connection. When I upgraded the crossover, the speakers became even more great. The treble wasn't so "intens" as it were before, and the low-bass, became a little bit lower. So I would really recommend you to spend some money on crossovers.

To compare Thor vs. Odin, you have to consider the size of the room they are going to play in. Floorstanding vs. stands etc. etc.

ChriSka,
I agree with your advice on the crossovers. I built my 1/2 odins on a design that was on the seas web site and spent a considersable amount on the crossover components, much more than I thought was reasonable. I am very pleased with the result, and as you already noticed with yours, if the recording is bad it sounds bad, if the recording is good it sounds good. These are very revealing speakers! I suppose what I may do is build the enclosure of both and then swap the speakers since the crossover is the same for both. It would be a good winter project.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.