la scala clone or else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i got to hear the venerable la scala for the first time couple days ago and was properly blown away. distortion free room filling sound, jaw dropping dynamics. and once again, or so undistorted! it's hard to go back to my meager narrow baffle 3way now. i must clone the la scala, or build some other horn speaker. id like to keep my budget under $1000, and the size should be apartment friendly. (say 100litre ish?) could i get some suggestions please?

p.s. one thing i didn't get to check is how agile la scala's bass is. i'm assuming it's good enough for say, 166bpm electronica?

here is a drawing for a Peavey FH-1 which is a better version of the La Scala design, if you need additional info I have it. If you want to go with a purely Klipsch design then go with the Belle which is a better design than the La Scala though not as good as the FH-1. Best regards Moray James.

Attachments

• Peavey FH-1 build size drawing 2.jpg
    Peavey FH-1 build size drawing 2.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 694
  • Peavey FH-1 dimensions 4 view.jpgjohn albright.jpg
    Peavey FH-1 dimensions 4 view.jpgjohn albright.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 810
  • peavey FH-1 plan drawing 3 April 2012.pdf
    56.6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Moray, I actually like some of the Peavey Black Widows drivers for cheap and easily repaired drivers in a PA system. Most BW models are trying to copy a JBL and some are trying to copy Altecs.

Although I just am not sure the BW's have the finesse for a high end home listening system (I could be wrong).

Have you tried the FH-1 with a Klipsch K-33?

If not what drivers do you recommend for FH-1's?

Moray, not to press but I need to know what drivers you personally have heard in the FH-1, this is important.

Although I have not heard it in a horn I would make a very strong guess that the 2226h is not a great horn driver as it has a high mass cone made more for direct radiators. I like the 2226 as a direct radiator though.

Altec 515's. I had a few of the alnico original coned drivers in a split 210 horn set, really expensive stuff, it has been a while but I think they started rolling off in a horn around 200hz and sounded not so great at 500hz. Maybe my cones were too old and soft, magnets needed recharge or I didn't have the right models or I didn't know what I was doing at the time though because many swear by them.

EV 15L or B are always great, always work, always loud and clear in a horn! Although I liked the JBL 2220 better in my Edgar 80 hz horns. I believe the Jbl 2220 was designed to be used in bass horns, love them.

So really I was wondering about a JBL 2220 versus Klipsch K33 in a Peavey FH-1 bass bin or other drivers you have personally heard in the FH-1.

In my SP! which is an FH-1 with the CH-11 horn on top I have listened to the stock driver which looks just like an old square mag K33 and which is made by Eminence sounds fine for home levels. I had the chance to listen to the 1504 which is the stock driver in the FH-1 which is better but at home levels does not put the SP1 driver to shame but i does play louder and cleaner at level that's for sure.
An on line bud ran the simulations for a pile of drivers the 515 Altec had the smoothest widest bandwidth in the FH-1 the JBL had the lowest distortion. Another on line bud has used a number of drivers and finds the JBL2226H the very best in an FH-1 with the lowers distortion of any driver he tried. That's all I can tell you. I don't think that a K33 would be any better than the stock SP1 driver made by Eminence. Hope that helps. Best regards Moray James.
PS you would be very hard pressed to find a better designed and or built driver than the 2226H. After all these years it still has a big bag of wow factor going for it.

Moray, not to press but I need to know what drivers you personally have heard in the FH-1, this is important.

Although I have not heard it in a horn I would make a very strong guess that the 2226h is not a great horn driver as it has a high mass cone made more for direct radiators. I like the 2226 as a direct radiator though.

Altec 515's. I had a few of the alnico original coned drivers in a split 210 horn set, really expensive stuff, it has been a while but I think they started rolling off in a horn around 200hz and sounded not so great at 500hz. Maybe my cones were too old and soft, magnets needed recharge or I didn't have the right models or I didn't know what I was doing at the time though because many swear by them.

EV 15L or B are always great, always work, always loud and clear in a horn! Although I liked the JBL 2220 better in my Edgar 80 hz horns. I believe the Jbl 2220 was designed to be used in bass horns, love them.

So really I was wondering about a JBL 2220 versus Klipsch K33 in a Peavey FH-1 bass bin or other drivers you have personally heard in the FH-1.

Moray, thanks again for the input. Even though I think the 2226 would not be ideal in an FH-1, I guess that is not going to keep me from trying it! Just love to throw odd speakers in a horn to see what happens, fun stuff. Now to find me some of them Peavey FH-1's for free.......I will do it...watch, people usually hate FH-1's because they think they are a sub and they don't do sub at all with a single box in the home but we all know here the mid bass is where they are very happy.

Moray, would you elaborate on how the FH-1 is better than the Klipsch? I am interested in possibly using this with a Synergy horn for the top end. I realise that subs will be necessary for the deep bottom end. I was seriously considering a ported La Scala bass horn until you brought the FH-1 to my attention.

nothing does sub work with only one box a channel. I agree that people often mistake what an FH-1 does and it is a good design. For starters the FH-1 is braced the La Scala is not. The FH-1 is longer than a La Scala and it does not have the two parallel dead zones on each side of the dog house that the La Scala has. The FH-1 has a larger mouth area han the La Scala does. The FH-1 is what a Belle should have really been, they are almost the same design if you look at the two speakers. You can port a FH-1 just the same as a La Scala. A three way Synergy can get you down to 50 Hz. a FH-1 is the least amount of folding possible and lots of output in a very compact package. From what I am told the JBL is stunning in the FH-1 if you can find a pair to try do so and you can tell me. Good luck. Best regards Moray James.

In this topic with wrong name(backloaded horns) it contains mainly front-loaded horns.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/182233-back-loaded-horns-7.html#post2458747

You will find plans for a la scala and I posted the best result I could make for a la scala type of enclosure, this result was possible with the beyma SM115.

A other nice site for you is Volvotreter.
He made a 4 way frontloaded horn system with tapped horn low frequency. In the picture the black thing in the corner is the tapped horn.
Volvotreter Homepage
conical_horn_setup_14.jpg

Succes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.