NaO Note II RS - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2013, 06:38 AM   #341
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

^Yep. I have learned that!

Rudolf (Finke) gives some good advice at his homepage! Go to downlods and open the lower download (in English)
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 29th April 2013, 10:42 AM   #342
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjefferson View Post
John, with tweeters wired in series pairs at 8 ohms, do you think the MiniDSP miniAMP has enough power for the tweeters? It's rated at 20w x2 into 8 ohms. Above 6 kHz there's not that much power, but I'm not sure if this is enough. It would be convenient to use the miniAMP because it stacks on the 2x8 board and lets you power the remaining 6 channels with any number of 7-channel amps, or else two fewer channels of class-D amp modules.

I don't know. It migh work for th tweeters in series. Depends on how loud you listen. But I prefer to use identical amps on all channels.
Old 29th April 2013, 07:03 PM   #343
diyAudio Member

Comments form a Note II RS and LX521 builder. The inevitable comparison by an independent builder:

Quote:
In the last few days I was able to complete (at least for listening) both
your speakers and the LX521's.

As far as musicality is concerned, I like your speaker more than the
LX521. The main advantage the LX521 has, is the woofer section. I have
been able to play the LX521 at very high SPL levels. But for general listening
at moderate to semi high levels, I prefer your speaker.
As expected, the SLS woofers can not play as loud as the SEAS units of the LX521. The XXLS woofer option for the Note would go a long way to neutralize that difference but with a significant increase in cost. As I say on my web site, it would probably be better and less costly, to add a couple of self powered subs if increasde deep bass SPL is required.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th April 2013, 09:26 PM   #344
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
Comments form a Note II RS and LX521 builder. The inevitable comparison by an independent builder:

As expected, the SLS woofers can not play as loud as the SEAS units of the LX521. The XXLS woofer option for the Note would go a long way to neutralize that difference but with a significant increase in cost. As I say on my web site, it would probably be better and less costly, to add a couple of self powered subs if increasde deep bass SPL is required.

Click the image to open in full size.
Was that review posted anywhere online or was it submitted directly to you (and, I assume, SL)?
Old 29th April 2013, 09:44 PM   #345
diyAudio Member

It's more just a few comments than a review. It was sent directly to me and I asked his permission to post it on DIY Audio. I have no idea if he sent anything to SL.
Old 30th April 2013, 03:35 PM   #346
gazza49 is offline gazza49  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The sls woofers in this picture are the opposite way round to the ones on music and design website,does it make a difference or can either face forwards
Old 30th April 2013, 06:41 PM   #347
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza49 View Post
The sls woofers in this picture are the opposite way round to the ones on music and design website,does it make a difference or can either face forwards
It make no difference, but if you were to think that it did you only need pull the woofer baffles, rotate them 180 degrees, and load them back into the woofer enclosure. Then the top woofer would be facing forward.
Old 1st May 2013, 08:08 AM   #348
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
Was that review posted anywhere online or was it submitted directly to you (and, I assume, SL)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
It's more just a few comments than a review. It was sent directly to me and I asked his permission to post it on DIY Audio. I have no idea if he sent anything to SL.
Makes me wonder what the difference is, as principally both speakers are designed to achieve the same thing.

It would be interesting to see the actual polar plot of LX521 as none is given/available yet.
Old 1st May 2013, 09:43 AM   #349
diyAudio Member

FYI, the builder did send a photo and comments to SL.
Old 1st May 2013, 10:01 AM   #350
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
Makes me wonder what the difference is, as principally both speakers are designed to achieve the same thing.

It would be interesting to see the actual polar plot of LX521 as none is given/available yet.
Different axial SPL target for one? SL retained the high frequency shelf that he used in the Orion. I designed for basically flat axial response. It's a little more aggressive but at DIY NE listeners preferred the flat response of the Note compared to the roll off top of the Orion. Since the Orion also suffers from tweeter bloom while the LX521 should not, I would expect the rolled off top applied to the LX521 to make even more of a difference. It could also have something to do with the crossover between upper and lower mids as the LX521 is a staggered 1st order passive and the Note II recommended configuration is 2nd order active. And perhaps the ScanSpeak Discovery drivers are just better in the midrange. In any even, it's all speculation, based on one listeners impressions.

I'm just please that one independent builder prefers the Note II.

Hide this!Advertise here!