Horn/TL combo

Just got in to town yesterday. Working on new horn jig as we speak....well not really. Only mentally lazy. :D

Le15A rcone is pain in ***. Impossible to get the kit and hav had two people say they could, only to not be able to. Both "authorized" JBL service people. 414's wont get here till Tuesday, supposedly, so all i have is the horns. Thank for the articles. Almost done reading. Got sidetracked from horn articles by other glow plug articles. Was this intentional misdirection:D

We watched Author Christmas. Buncha dang Brit Santas. Who ever heard of that. Good movie for kids with good message. Got bottom half of test Iwata done this mornin. Gotta go to a wedding or I would have finished. As for the Onken W, it is not too big, but could easily be too much for my room. That is what I am unsure of. Although it will be open to a 32' room behind me, I will be sitting about 12-15 ft away. Got my EMU setup today. Gonna play around with using multi outputs with J river to do Xover. MAy be able to skip DSP and tweak with it.

Got bottom half of test Iwata done this morning
I'll be interested in your findings, and the home built unit itself

As for the Onken W, it is not too big, but could easily be too much for my room. That is what I am unsure of. Although it will be open to a 32' room behind me, I will be sitting about 12-15 ft away

I'm sure Pano, GM & Cal have/had/heard systems that can strip the skin of ya at 30' but when used sensibly (even in smaller {by US standards!!!!} rooms) sounded amazing. The unused capacity is great for creschendo's etc or when the kids are out on sleepovers, Mrs Buzz is on a girls night and its just you, the speakers and a volume control.

As long as the treble is clean and the bass isn't playing merry hell with a room mode I don't think you can go too big :D

Got my EMU setup today. Gonna play around with using multi outputs with J river to do Xover. MAy be able to skip DSP and tweak with it.

You got an Emu? ;) what sort

Joined 2003
Paid Member
me likee this ( even if finding plans is not so easy task) :

zzzexemplar.jpg

Bingo! When I wa sgoing through all my Altec/Jbl decisions, this was my dream speaker. Its ported out the back. I forget where I saw that, one of my Sound Practices Mags I believe.

I in the end I sold all the Altec/Jbl except a pair of 4507 boxes, 2235H 15inch drivers, Altec A7 with 416 8c and 802 8g. Sold everything else...I think there is a pair of 2225H around here, will convert to 2235H/2234H if time comes.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
From glancing at it, it seems different in that there are no straight sides and it doesn't vent to the front, possibly being sealed. I could be remembering wrong, but did GM suggest that horn loading of the woofer needs a big room. I am going to be sitting 10-12ft away. I was looking at a front loaded born setup the other day that used the 515-16g, I think. Seems like the ceramic versions. An get away with smaller boxes. There are some 515-16g on the bay, but they don't seem to do as well S the 8g version that GM recommended earlier. Won't get the 414's until Tuesday, so hopefully I can redo horn jig and get at least one done. Be nice to start working with real stuff

This project used 515 8G, vented out the back and claimed 20 hz capability.

Russellc

Bingo! When I wa sgoing through all my Altec/Jbl decisions, this was my dream speaker. Its ported out the back. I forget where I saw that, one of my Sound Practices Mags I believe.

I in the end I sold all the Altec/Jbl except a pair of 4507 boxes, 2235H 15inch drivers, Altec A7 with 416 8c and 802 8g. Sold everything else...I think there is a pair of 2225H around here, will convert to 2235H/2234H if time comes.

Russellc

Problem for me is room size and listening distance.