Horn/TL combo

I have asked some questions about re-coning. Nothing. I guess I am used to this place, which is more heavily trafficked. No worries though. I am suppose to receive the 414's Tuesday, but that is appx. I may take my horn blanks and slap some sides on them and mount up the horns just to give a listen. Why not.

Why not indeed!!!! cant wait to 'hear' you reaction & thoughts

As for Audioheritage its a smaller fan base than here by some margin. Have you spoken to Bill at GPA about recones etc? - super guy. I called him from the UK for a few question I couldn't get answered on AH

Got the 414's in. Two tested OK. Two have voice coil rub. Seller refunded money for bad two. Dont think I will use them, as the plan was for dual woofers. Dont feel like reconing them either. Will probably just sell them.
Free Air measurements on two that work
Driver 1 Driver 2
10.374 10.943 Re
37.01 37.01 Fs
.327 .284 Qts
.401 .322 Qes
1.792 2.392 Qms
1.001 1.368 Le

Haven't done the VAS test, as I cant figure a good way. Nickel trick is difficult with vented dsut cap. May try box volume test with 75ltr boxes I have. Dunno if its even worth it.

What kinda imaging would one expect from side by side woofers? Been looking at the JBL 4345 and 4355 and Just happened to find an Altec version of the JBL 4345, using 416,414,and late model comp driver that is not well knWn. Although I will have all the parts, I have read multiple opinions that say they just dont like the 414 as much as 416 or 515 in the midrange. Having the 416's and 288 on big horn, seems like a waste to use 414. Guess it is question of what you want doing the vocals, horn or woofer. Wednesday should bring numbers on the 416's

Everything i read about the jbl 4355 was that they were loud. Who gives a s^$% about loud. Loud is easy and pointless, unless your in a monster room or big field. I just thought it my be interesting for dynamic impact, but not if you give up detail and delicacy in return. Would help match better with horn from efficiency standpoint. Two 416's under the 290 Iwata might be interesting. Gotta a Iwata derivative I am working on using LeCLeach spreadsheet. I think it might be the only one. That probably only means they will suck:D

What do you expect? JBL = Just Big & Loud. ;)

GM

That's pretty good. Never heard it before.

Better overall than singles because they are more focused horizontally and less so vertically, blending better to a large ~90 x 40 horn.

GM

So, when they speak of the jbl 4355 having not so great imaging, do you think it is related to the fact that the horn and midrange are in the middle of a very large baffle.
Barring the 515's, what do you thin about dual 416's under the 290 Iwata. It is basically a 90 horn in the horizontal plane.

THank you ZM. THis is becoming collecting spot for cool speaks.
This one looks interesting.

Attachments

• hpim2275.jpg
    hpim2275.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 220