OB Bass Excursion - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 11:12 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Something like this might be ok Flexunits 12 B 77 25 10
Old 29th September 2012, 11:25 AM   #52
Banned

Before you spend more money, try this:
Mount your mids on 10" mdf or birch ply circles and see how they sound
Old 29th September 2012, 11:50 AM   #53
Banned

Just one more thing
Scanspeak drivers need to be broken in quite a bit before they loosen up and start sounding good
Old 29th September 2012, 11:54 AM   #54
Banned

I will upload a FR plot of Seas. It is nothing like the published curve.
Old 29th September 2012, 12:14 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

You keep talking about it sounding thin.....dude, you gotta go step by step before making too many subjective decisions. I think you are having these quick listens and then become discouraged and want to buy more or change you mind or regret a purchase. These things take time and you have the added difficulty of trying to figure it all out on the fly. I spent literal years learning, absorbing and doing research before I ever bought a driver for my OB project and even then I took another year just to buy single drivers for measuring and auditioning.

You HAVE to measure what the drivers are doing free air in the intended configuration, THEN EQ back to closer to flat and only then can go have a listen for the sound quality. You keep putting the horse before the cart. Like I mentioned pages ago, slow down and be methodical about this. You will be able to make some great sound. Those mids might be a little taxed being full nude and run down to meet the 5100, but start there and see what you get. If it can't work out, then buy a midbass filler OR try a baffle. This is easy to try, since you not making full cabinets. Don't throw away the possibility of a baffle to hold the Scans. Full nude is not the ONLY way to go, just one possibility.

Greg
Old 29th September 2012, 12:20 PM   #56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
Full nude is not the ONLY way to go, just one possibility.

Greg

Mount them on 10" wood circles, EQ them flat then listen.
If you are still not happy then here is another option JA-8008 HES - Jantzen 8 inch High-Efficiency Speaker - Europe Audio
Old 29th September 2012, 12:23 PM   #57
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
Any chance you could please model the same thing with these driver specs?
Here we go:
H framePro 5100.gif
Your TSP have been measured with the VCs in parallel. But they did not state Lvc for the parallel case. I applied Lvc=0.125 mH.
Note that the applied power is tenfold for each case! I just tried to have the same SPL at 30 Hz and around 60 Hz as for the Goldwood. You can easily see why MJK has preferred the Goldwood.
I believe it becomes obvious why you need that 20 Hz highpass in this case.

Rudolf
Old 29th September 2012, 01:55 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Thanks Rudolf they do seem to have omitted certain data.

I stay in non forum contact with a guy who has been building speakers for a few decade now for a living. I sent him 4 of the 12MUs to evaluate since he hadn't tried them yet here is his response...

"I had a listen to your 12MUs and compared these to 15W8535 both in an open baffle configuration last week end and must say even though the 12MUs have plenty of detail all way through the band, just lack dynamic range and WOW factor with depth on vocals with music and movies . The 15W8535 on the other hand was a was smooth but detailed and my choice I ran both speakers either full range of with a 0.47 mH inductor in series to roll off the top end gently and still allow detail for evaluation, this improves the balance of sound.

For 12U I recommend sealed enclosure with a good quality 8" or 6" Woofer or Mid Bass in a 3way loudspeaker with the RAAL 140 or 70-10 for the top end rather than try an adapt 12MU to with a larger woofer, A smaller diameter Woofer will improve the sound stage and coupling with 12Mu ."

I spoke with him by phone and said my findings were the same as his and that I had already decided that it was too big of a jump to a big woofer.

So its not only my listening impression it is also one of someone who has been in the industry for decades.

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 29th September 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 29th September 2012, 01:58 PM   #59
Banned

Another piece of advice. If you want to quickly see the effect of baffle width, then mount the drivers on cardboard.
Do you have the gear to do frequency response measurements?
Old 29th September 2012, 02:03 PM   #60
Banned

Possibly consider selling the 12MU and buy a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 10 Alnico
They will easily cover the range between 200Hz and 5000Hz with class

Hide this!Advertise here!