4 way active ,passive or what works best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oi 56!!

Looking very special there I must say.
Even if your DIY tooling is in itself is a work of art.:worship:
Nice work.
I'll be waiting for my invite for a listen and a drink:cheers:
Your welcome over anytime Joz .Can you glue :D.
Going to Bathurst :).

Imagine what he would build if he really got serious:p

looking good 56 - those tafe courses your wife took came in really handy, when do you start taking over and finishing things?

You would think she would atleast finish the projects :rolleyes:.

CHeers

Hi Mal, Great to see your project is still alive. Will be interested in what you settle on in the way of a crossover. Joz isnt the only one who will be looking for an invite to hear the completed speaker. Even if I'm too old and deaf to appreciate them by that time I'll still be able to admire your excellent workmanship.
Cheers Mike

Outstanding work! Keep going, the hardest part is over..
Hardest part over ,I have another pair of amps to build and a pair of Synergy horn's ,just to mix things up :eek:.

oh. my. god.
Thats what the wife say's ,OMG when are you going to finish .The house is falling apart :).

Hi Mal, Great to see your project is still alive. Will be interested in what you settle on in the way of a crossover. Joz isnt the only one who will be looking for an invite to hear the completed speaker. Even if I'm too old and deaf to appreciate them by that time I'll still be able to admire your excellent workmanship.
Cheers Mike
Hey Mike I could be deaf before its finish :D . How you going mate .
Any new projects of your own .

CHeers

One problem with triangle shaped cabs you just can't lay them on their back and work on the front baffle :( .
So I thought I'll make a jig for the cab to sit in so I could router the area where the baffle fits .Plus I wanted a new portable work bench something I could roll out side and work on .
You are one crazy gringo! If anyone ever calls me extreme again, I will direct them to this thread. BTW, why did you not go for the complete aluminium build ala Magico Q3, Q5, Q7 ? You certainly seem to have the metalworking skills.

The lengths you go to for a perfect finish are amazing mate. Can't wait to see the finished product. It really is brilliant work mate.
When are we going to see a thread about your build :) .
You are one crazy gringo! If anyone ever calls me extreme again, I will direct them to this thread. BTW, why did you not go for the complete aluminium build ala Magico Q3, Q5, Q7 ? You certainly seem to have the metalworking skills.
I did draw something up ,but it would have blown the budget :).

I would of prefered to make the cab's out of steel plate something I'm more geared up to work with .But talking to a couple people that make speakers were worried it would ring even with dampening inside the cab walls .
Alloy could of been another option but the cost and the shape I won'ted just added to the cost .

I thought all the wood was just a form for the bent aluminum sheets he's going to fabricate ... :p

Looks great buddy!!!
The ply is just for form and fill .I'm going to 2pac finish the cab's and amp case's .

wow, thats alot of planning and engineering. hats off to you, now i know why people are looking for you down in stereonet :d.

ive used threaded bolt also to make sure the layers are properly aligned, but u used many more than me :))
Cheers mate.
Which henry are you on SNA :confused:.

Does the tweeter have its own section?

Yes it does . I was going to have the R1 sitting ontop but in the drawings the speaker looked unfinished .And I thought if I'm going to have somwthing like a wave guide to help blend it in I might as well build it into the cab .

Cheers

Heres that bendy ply .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cool

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I can understand that!! My MTM's took 8 years from when I first started seriously thinking about them (basically why I joined up here!) and when they were finally completed! The actual project is still ongoing however, as they are supposed to have subs as well (bit like yorus, only mine is two way on top with woofers on the bottom).

The only jig I made was a circle cutting jig for my router ;) My boxes were simple butt jointed MDF!

Keep at it, it looks like you are getting to the pointy end!! It will be worth it once you can sit back and listen. I listened to mine with the first iteration of the crossover for around a year, and then re-did it. The new one is much better! It dropped the efficiency about 2db but it was worth it for the improvement in sound.

Tony.

I can understand that!! My MTM's took 8 years from when I first started seriously thinking about them (basically why I joined up here!) and when they were finally completed! The actual project is still ongoing however, as they are supposed to have subs as well (bit like yorus, only mine is two way on top with woofers on the bottom).

The only jig I made was a circle cutting jig for my router ;) My boxes were simple butt jointed MDF!

Keep at it, it looks like you are getting to the pointy end!! It will be worth it once you can sit back and listen. I listened to mine with the first iteration of the crossover for around a year, and then re-did it. The new one is much better! It dropped the efficiency about 2db but it was worth it for the improvement in sound.

Tony.

I swore I would NEVER EVER come back to Norlane, but here I am.

Nice work, I hope the sound as good as they look

The wife starting to push to get it finished when she heard I had someone interested in the whole project she wasn't to happy .

I've had the room responce measured by a mate so I we have an idea whats needed there as well .I don't want to just dump the speakers in the room and know the rooms holding back the sound with problems .
The reverb very high 0.7 need to get that down ,going to build some broadband traps and looking at diffusors . The rooms losy no real bass reforcement so a couple of tapped horns will be made .I want that 20hz to 20 khz :) .

Cheers

Mal

Mal,
Your wife has been great with your project.
I've been pretty busy with a new job. No time for diy adventures atm. I do want to build a RTP3 maybe next year.
We're just about to head os for a long overdue holiday. Hope to catch up with you again soon. You too Lyle it's been a while since we met at Richards gtg.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.