Best FREE loudspeaker design software? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2003, 03:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best FREE loudspeaker design software?

What is the best of all the available free loudspeaker design software programs or even evaluation versions of larger programs.

ANybody have a preference and a location?
Old 23rd October 2003, 04:10 AM   #2
bknauss is offline bknauss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bknauss
I prefer LSPCad lite for mids, and a combination of LSPCad and Unibox for subs.

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/software/
http://www.danbbs.dk/~ko/ubdwnld.htm
Old 23rd October 2003, 03:21 PM   #3
f4ier is offline f4ier  Australia
diyAudio Member

Filter simulators and calculators
Lobing and edge diffraction simulation
Transient Perfect calculators
Subwoofer enclosure simulators
Room acoustics
etc. from the FRD Group

Cheers

Isaac
Old 23rd October 2003, 03:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Does LspCAD lite enable you to optimize?, I remember having a version about a year back which did, just like in the demo version that only allows you to use the sample drivers. If it does then that would be really useful. I d/l the lite version and all I could get it to do was to calculate boxes . Am I missing something?

Can the lite version calculate values for active filters, if not is there a program that does and allows you to optomize?

I have used Aduas Louspeakers workshop before and can rate it well as a begginer program as its all free, but I find it extremely limited in what it can do. If you can buy the version of LSPcad (the one which costs $120 or something) then im sure you will be very happy with wha it can do.

Unfortunately for me I would find the real time crossover thing that enables you to listen to the xover which you have simulated really useful. The only problem is that the $450 is a bit steep. I suppose thats more like 300, and I have spend that easily many times over in raw drive units, so if I look at it that way...... Hmmmm next project mite not happen gonna buy software
Old 23rd October 2003, 03:53 PM   #5
f4ier is offline f4ier  Australia
diyAudio Member

5th element,

I tried LspCAD lite a few years ago, it seemed to only simulate bass enclosures. Both the standard and professional versions have most of what you're looking for. Except for the filter emulator -- the standard version does not have this feature.

SoundEasy is a better program, which has emulation capability and lots more cool tools for significantly less than LspCAD Pro.

Old 23rd October 2003, 04:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jewilson
LEAP and Bass Box professional are my favorites, however there are not free. I have not found free speaker software that I can trust.
Old 23rd October 2003, 10:16 PM   #7
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Bassbox Pro is very basic software, and it is no better than the free spreadsheet Unibox. Actually Unibox has many more features.

I remember some time ago there was discussion on a mailing list I was on. It was about Passive radiators and how they give a bass gain - all based on simulations with Bassbox 5 that turned out to be wrong. The people who programmed bassbox 5 messed up an area calculation that made its simulations predict that the PR was putting out more bass than it actually could.

Bassbox is not in the same category as LEAP - not by a LONG shot. I wouldn't trust anyone who made such a comparison. LEAP does nonlinear simulations and many other things, but LEAP quickbox simulations are essentially the same as Unibox. LEAP is only better when you measure and simulate nonlinear parameters.
Old 24th October 2003, 01:53 AM   #8
Ap is offline Ap
diyAudio Member

WinISD for bass enclosures.
Flexsys for xovers - basic but it's enough for a rough prototype.
Old 24th October 2003, 01:58 AM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Calsod isn't free, but it's darn cheap. Optimization, too. Clunky user interface, but if you've used SPICE, it will look pretty familiar.
Old 24th October 2003, 05:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jewilson
Default RON E

I realize that some people cannot help but be slanting what some one else writes to meet there objectives or is it your world is small Ron. No did not I compare Leap to Bass Box, Leap just more sophisticated.

As for Bass Box Pro, it does a fine job on sealed and vent boxes as I have compared my results to Leap, see I have both. So how can any one trust a person that can read and is narrow minded.

No wonder your bio says your a professional wipping boy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sound Easy look to have a nice interface, f4ier

Hide this!Advertise here!