Focal 927 Crossover modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...AllenB, so you say L6 and the new core. Isnt that the same thing? ie, replacing L6 (a ferrite core) with either a wirewound or air foil replacement on a seperate board would net a improvement?

L6 in my photo of the crossover is actually under the large cap! Its the 82mm length one and visually looking at the board I think thats the largest unit on the board.
If I interpret you right, it's not the same thing. Air cores have high DCR. Now you can go to the market (look at my previous post) and find good quality expensive coils with lower DCR, but, they will be more (DCR) than comparing with same quality/price cored ones, in general.

Lower DCR can be achieved with a type autoformer, lower DCR component or the ones (good brand/quality/expensive) you're looking for.

Take the components for the woofer out of the board and build a new smaller independent board.:cool:

Can you also post the values for the components missing on the pdf?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
AllenB, so you say L6 and the new core. Isnt that the same thing?

It was just the context at the time. L6 should probably be out on its own if it has an air core but I was suggesting it maybe should anyway. I should point out that changing crossover components that are working well to begin with is not the answer.

One of the best things you can do to improve bass is to work with your room and find the best location for your speakers. You want to help the bass reach you freely and to avoid cancellations. Subwoofers can also help you to find those locations and fill in the gaps the speaker locations don't reach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.