Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 04:02 PM   #231
diyAudio Member

Yes in another email he send me frequency responses showing how they plotted against the ScanSpeak pdf.

I hear what your saying Greg and I don't plan to purchase any more drivers until 1. I know exactly what I need, and 2. I have tested current drivers in a more calculated and methodical way.

First steps first I am trying to design a baffle for the 18" that I can use now and refine down the track.

So the crazy designs stop with this one... Will see if I can make a start on it tomorrow.

(Top not shown to show internals on ends)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bow Tie.jpg (88.9 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 29th September 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 29th September 2012, 04:15 PM   #232
diyAudio Member

That design looks suitable. Will the legs of the upper portion slot into the gaps on either side?

I moved my entire living room around 90 degrees last night to get the baffles away from the side walls and more symmetrically laid out.

Check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0989.JPG (90.0 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0990.JPG (63.5 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0992.JPG (84.0 KB, 236 views)
Old 29th September 2012, 04:20 PM   #233
Banned

It would be cool if you could angle the top also
Old 29th September 2012, 07:14 PM   #234
diyAudio Member

From a contributor on my own thread over at AudioCircle:

BTW I mounted a TC Sounds Pro 5100 18" Neo Subwoofer Driver on a 2' X 2' piece of plywood. The measured response at my usual 2+ meter couch listening location was surprisingly good - far better than the B&C 15" woofer! The 18" especially had far less distortion especially below 300 Hz, and the frequency response plot was smoother up to 300+ Hz (sorry, no pictures yet to post here). The TC Sounds 18" required much less EQ. IMO the 18 is not recommended for use below 50 or 60 Hz because my immediately behind-couch Velodyne DD-15 is preferred (again IMO because at very low frequencies a servo-controlled sub sounds good, and has measurably lower distortion).

Again, I don't know yet whether these measurements of the 18" Vs. the 15" indicate that the 18" woofer would subjectively 'sound' better than the 15" woofer. So far, it appears that the 18" should be OK as long as a steep low-pass crossover (say, 24 dB per octave slope) is used for below the 300 Hz area.
Old 29th September 2012, 07:17 PM   #235
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
That design looks suitable. Will the legs of the upper portion slot into the gaps on either side?

I moved my entire living room around 90 degrees last night to get the baffles away from the side walls and more symmetrically laid out.

Check it out.
Nice setup! It looks like you are absorbing the rear wave? Any thought on that?
Old 29th September 2012, 07:29 PM   #236
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Nice setup! It looks like you are absorbing the rear wave? Any thought on that?
Hi Stig, thanks! I too have a studio background, so I come from the school of thought that you should not hear your own listening room. That is only one panel for now. I need to do some listening and place the other panels around as needed. In the old location in my room, there were 12 panels concealed behind a curtain all around the rear and sides of the baffles. And then 6 more on the side walls at the first reflection points. I basically have no side walls now in this orientation since the room is 25 feet wide now rather than 25ft deep. After much critical listening, I like the tighter focus of absorbing the rear wave of a dipole much as you appear to as well.

I will most likely need diffusion on the wall behind my head, now that it is much closer than before too. I'd like to do a cloud perhaps, but there is a rather large ceiling fan in my way with this new room orientation.

I don't want to derail SilentScreamers thread, so I'll leave it at that and continue updates here if you care to follow along:

Raal 140, Neo10, AE Dipole 15 in the works

Last edited by studiotech; 29th September 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 29th September 2012, 10:20 PM   #237
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Silent ... where are you at with drivers now? I'm confused ...
Old 30th September 2012, 12:29 AM   #238
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
First generation is to screw top section to top lid or be separate, but had already considered two round poles feeding through top lid touching only top and bottom with some kind of absorbing material around to reduce transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphys Law View Post
It would be cool if you could angle the top also
Was 2am when I knocked that idea up, but yes had already considered doing that (was just too tired to draw it up) by putting a 45 degree angle on top of the 45 degree angled pieces and making the lid in two or four pieces.

What made me hesitate was the consequences of the driver above with the MDF sloping the wrong way.

Still thinking about it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
Silent ... where are you at with drivers now? I'm confused ...
Current is 2 x RAAL dipoles with AM transformers on there way from Alexandra (through local guy)
the 2 x Tc Sounds Pro 5100's. However many of the 12MUs I should wind up using (still like them very much but question how much range the should cover) and 2 x Tc Sounds Ultra 5400 for a folded horn couch. Once everything is mocked up and tried then more than likely a pair of 8"-10" but not committing to those until much testing.

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 30th September 2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 5th October 2012, 02:45 PM   #239
diyAudio Member

A baffle is born... Busy weekend planned, so knocked up a prototype baffle after work today. Still need to do some wings and mount the baffle to the pedistal, and rewire one of the 12MUs back in.

Sound different mounted in the baffle. First thing I noticed is that I have audible sound at only -60 (Ground Sound turn on level).

It got late so it didnt turn it up to regular level, but eveything sounds a little out whach like it needs to be reconfigured pretty badly.

Well this baffle is only a steping stone, and part of the learning curve to see what I do and dont like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1038-1.jpg (124.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1039-1.jpg (126.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1041-1.jpg (131.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1044-1.jpg (126.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 5th October 2012, 03:13 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

Looks mighty good to me. You might find that you'll like the baffle cut down a little around the mids and tweeter. Have fun!

Hide this!Advertise here!