quick question about inductor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ariyahoor, you could CNC a center ring - yes?

Also any small PVC pipe around, black maybe?

You could cut small "axels".

Is this a full sheet of plywood machine?
actually it's a laser CNC and cuts only Plexiglas and thin aluminum :rolleyes: but I have an industrial big CNC router which is bought me my friend and I.. I can use it whenever I wish... that CNC will cut Wood +2 inches

btw, if you have a good helper you can wind them quickly and neatly with a battery drill (makeshift arbor). The helper needs to spool the wire with a lot of friction.

I use a generator, resistor, 2-way switch and volt meter to check values, you can measure them with a good deal of accuracy, down to one turn of wire.

yes but winding by hand will lead a more apple-pie order result but it's time-consuming

I cut some other bobbin and holder today and I think would be nice for everyone to see what I've done :D

I cut new parts using laser. it worked perfectley :D I'm happy with the result... easy way and effective. I hope this will be some kinda orientation

the tricks are:
not using very thick plastic ties because they won't bend well and coil will get loose
lubricate the edges before taking out the bobbin
enjoy it! :p

pictures talk more than words:
(the inductor in picture is a 0.25 mH using 18# wire)
290770d1341840836-quick-question-about-inductor-20060207439.jpg

290771d1341840836-quick-question-about-inductor-20060207440.jpg
290772d1341840836-quick-question-about-inductor-20060207438.jpg

Attachments

• 20060207439.jpg
    20060207439.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20060207440.jpg
    20060207440.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 20060207438.jpg
    20060207438.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I'll tell you what, I removed aluminum core and inductance doesn't change even a bit! :eek: I think it's because the aluminum core is an empty pipe with ~1mm thickness :rolleyes: if the inductance is what should be, so a little bit of aluminum won't effect the sound. castigate me if I'm wrong :D

I think that an aluminium pipe used as a coil former will change the inductor characteristics. Without a magnetic core the coupling between the winding and the aluminium isn't great so I guess that's why the inductance measured hasn't changed though it would be interesting to know the measurement frequency used. The other characteristic is the loss or Q and I would expect the aluminium former to have changed that.
I'm not sure how much that will effect the cross over performance or sound though.

I think that an aluminium pipe used as a coil former will change the inductor characteristics. Without a magnetic core the coupling between the winding and the aluminium isn't great so I guess that's why the inductance measured hasn't changed though it would be interesting to know the measurement frequency used. The other characteristic is the loss or Q and I would expect the aluminium former to have changed that.
I'm not sure how much that will effect the cross over performance or sound though.

actually I use an standard LCR meter :rolleyes: have no idea about frequency. I won't use any core again. the last method I used wan an experience of success. I hope it is a good clue for other members who want to wind inductors on their own :eek: those slots I used is the best way winding an inductor and getting it off the bobbin without even using varnish :cool:

Look up "crystal radio" on the web and you will see a lot of hobbyists constructing beautiful hand made coils and aiming for the highest Q possible at RF frequencies. They seem to use a lot of plexiglass, nylon and delrin. Wood as a former is known to give a little lower Q.

This is at more critical RF frequencies.

Nice work!

David S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.