4-way or 6-way speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'd have to see a pic of the mids again to know if they could be used to make a set of bipoles.

Actually i'd like to see a close up of the tweeters. The small dark cones might be the tweeters, and the even smaller ones might be the alnico supertweeters that often came with the Criterion, but missing their phasing covers.

SuperTweeters with phasing cover:

attachment.php

3" tweeter (these in a lovely light brown):

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• coral-3T-bee.jpg
    coral-3T-bee.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 541
  • coral-13STa-110506.jpg
    coral-13STa-110506.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 541
My suggestions:

Pull the drivers, add a layer to the front baffle in the recess so as to eliminate the raised "edge" around the perimeter of the face of the speakers while at the same time. allowing for new cut-out positions for the drivers. Try to get the drivers in some sort of a vertical line and consider eliminating 1 of each of those "dual" high range units, adjusting crossover component values to compensate for the change in impedance. I think they could be made to sound respectable with those changes. I assume that currently they sound like a disaster. I can only imagine the severe lobing that must take place with those high frequency drivers placed so far apart.

Woofer front and back. Seems to be a 10", although the total diameter measures at about 11-3/4".
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Mid-range front and back. I believe they are 6". Once again a little hard to judge. Neither the actual speak or the total diameter measure out to anything specific...

Black tweeter front and back. Seem to be 2" tweeters.

Super tweeter front and back. These are 1" tweeters. One cabinet came with the phasing covers, while the ones that I have pictured, did not come with phasing covers.

maybe the OP should tell us if they are 3 or 3 and 1/2 way , by opening them and examining the filter .
And also how they sound . Undeterministic approach may lead to some result
:)
...not too sure what you mean by this. Im still learning about all this. Is that in reference to the XO?

Pull the drivers, add a layer to the front baffle in the recess so as to eliminate the raised "edge" around the perimeter of the face of the speakers while at the same time. allowing for new cut-out positions for the drivers. Try to get the drivers in some sort of a vertical line and consider eliminating 1 of each of those "dual" high range units, adjusting crossover component values to compensate for the change in impedance. I think they could be made to sound respectable with those changes. I assume that currently they sound like a disaster. I can only imagine the severe lobing that must take place with those high frequency drivers placed so far apart.
THEY CURRENTLY SOUND AWFUL
So you are suggesting cutting new holes for the entire thing, each driver thats going to be put in use, in a new custom placement?

Back Panel.

THEY CURRENTLY SOUND AWFUL
So you are suggesting cutting new holes for the entire thing, each driver thats going to be put in use, in a new custom placement?

If you want to experiment with ways to improve them without huge costs, and are willing to accept the possibility that they may always sound awful no matter what you do, then yes, I would eliminate 1 super tweeter and 1 tweeter from each so that there is only 1 driver covering each range, and re-arrange the drivers on a new thicker front baffle into roughly a vertical line of drivers. Might have to offset the line from the mid-range up to fit the drivers on the baffle and that's fine, may actually be better that way anyways.

Is that 1/2" particle board for the front baffle? Careful looking at that wrong... might fall apart!

The changes I'm suggesting would likely require changes to the crossover, however, there is a good chance that the crossover was never "right" to begin with so.. heh. Can you make up a diagram of the current wiring and x-over components?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.