"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The filter is ready (se picture), next step after dinner is to solder some connection cables, put some stuffing in the cabinets just to start with and insert the reflex port. It is safe doing this right? I know it will not be 100% sealed everywhere since I got a removable baffle with wooden plugs, but I can´t damage anything right?

If you will be careful in handling not to accidentally short the amp's (+) & (-) you can't do any other hard damage I guess.

Now they are playing after some sweat and tears! I got no sound at first from the left speaker and after some checking I found the error to be no contact with the terminals on the amplifier :eek:. They are playing beatiful but at very low volume to spare the neigbours. But everyting seems fine!

Attachments

• speaker14.jpg
    speaker14.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 733
  • speaker15.jpg
    speaker15.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:
Some impressions after a couple of days playing:
The tweeter is better than my performa speakers, no doubt about that.
I suspected this all the time and it was true. The bass performance is still a little withdrawn but is getting better the more I play, and I have just done a simple job so far with damping/filling and it is not even 100% sealed yet. It plays very pure and natural. I can surely hear a great potential in these speakers and I am sure it will be very good when everything is in place. I am very happy I made the speakers and very thankful to Salas great job with this speaker!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When you will have it 100% well put together, woofer suspensions worked in more, and perched on proper height stands as mentioned on the original sketch, you should move it around to hit best synergism with room nodes and front wall distance reinforcement. If you will not find the ''perfect'' tonal balance by then, the 2.5mH coil is mostly influential on how much mids to bass proportion you have in room. Higher value, will gradually recess the mids and bring bass to relief. Takes a multi tap with taps between 2.5 to 3mH and will be custom coil and tiresome evaluation procedure though. I wish you will get very good balance by room positioning foremostly. Your now value should be sufficient and it does not create artificial ''loudness'' effect. Still some prefer a bit of mids recession in home listening. Depends on the character of the source and electronics also. Another technique is to extend the bass reflex port little by little in length. Say 1cm steps.

Attachments

• TiredBox.jpg
    TiredBox.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 742
In fact the bass port is a little longer than "yours" at the moment since it was most practical with my port mounting (it is not glued/screewed yet with the telescope part locking it into place from the inside (it is a telescope construction with approx 120-240mm possible setting).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So its a loose situation yet. If the reflex ain't steady on the box you can't know about final sound. But don't cut up the length final yet, nice its telescopic so to use it as tuning aid later in room. The shorter, more upper bass output, the longer more lower bass, but it can withdraw bass presence, which mainly resides above 100Hz.

Yes everything is up to taste, next step will be how to fill the box, I know you have it on your drawing above but I wonder, do I nead anything more than the polyester wool I have? I have about 2,5 times more of it than what I showed inside the box (se picture earlier post). Some use bitumen sheets and dampling felt, do I need it?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bitumen is to control wall resonances, mainly effective on thin wall real wood boxes. The BBC school. Not effective on your construction. You will notice big influence by stuffing volume and technique. It will add virtual expansion of the box size and it will be damping mid-bass by more you stuff. First put the pair on stands, find a nice positioning that sounds about right, and then start fine tuning techniques. It will be a fun and learning experience. Leave crossover tweaking as last resort. Since its the costlier and takes gear to be pretty sure. But I am confident you are to find many different ''voices'' by positioning first since you are on a very early stage of makeshift listening.

Hi henry, the bass is not as it should be right now but it is all my fault lol. I have made stands for them which I tried yesterday and it works quite well but maybe I will shorten them a little later (35cm right now). Today after work I will fix the bass reflex tube which is about 2 cm too long (I measured it yesterday) and is probably the cause of my shy bass (deep but withdrawn). Otherwise I am positiv and believe I will be very pleased in the end. After the tube is shortened I will try to put some more polyester stuff inside, it is rather empty right now. But first I will listen what the shortening of the tube makes before altering anything else.

I have shortened the bass tube to 13,5cm but the difference was small when it comes to bass output. I then tried some more polyester filling and it helped the sound a little, I also moved the speakers closer to the back wall which also helped (about 70cm). I will let them play like this for a few days to see what I have got. Now I think the amount of filling is close to what Salas used and the port lenght is also according to that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.