"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok I think I have it, I hope the coils are not disturbing eachother!
I should probably turn the left coli 90 degrees and lay the big one down.
See picture..

The others were better IMO (with respect to the coil placement). yes the left coill should be turned 90deg then it should not cause issues. if you have them in their original positions AND turn the left one on its side and at 90 degrees then the chances of interference will be virtually nill :) however even at fairly close quarters with the coils at 90 degrees to one another (rule of thumb you should not be able to see another coil through the hole of a coil) then they should be ok.

My recent crossover has the coils quite close together. Troel's indicates (in his experiments) that 20cm centre to centre is enough spacing even if mounted in the same orientation.

Tony.

Ok, I have not soldered it together since I had a problem with it beeing too tight. You prefer this one (pic)? The only bad thing is I need 2 wires to connect it with. But I can use the same layout and put the components a little closer to eachoter and using you coil orientation advise. And I will lay the big one down west-east to make it more secure to the board.

Attachments

• filter3.jpg
    filter3.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 905
Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I too used cable ties for attaching my coils (and caps) to my crossover board. The vertically mounted coils I only used a single one. They are not that sturdy, but they aren't going to fall off either ;) Cable ties are quite strong! you can see fairly well in this pic of the partially constructed crossover. The link I posted earlier has the fully completed board where you can see the cable ties on the caps as well.

Black cable ties are the ones holding to the board, white ones are the ones I used to hold the coils together after I wound them.

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_9461.jpg
    DSC_9461.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 786
Tony, that looks nice, but I am too lazy right now and getting eager to hear them play, so I will just use a little glue so I can move the board and start playing. Easy to remove with a razor blade knife. I really like the looks of my white capacitors and I do not think that glue of mine will destroy them in any way, it is rather flexible.

Ok, the terminals looks to be the same size to me, so I will try the battery test.
I have glued the crossover but it need to dry so the soldering will be done tomorrow :(. I also discovered I did not have a wire cutter (forgotten at work) to remove excessive wire so I will relax tonight and complete it tomorrow.
One question Salas, I have read somewhere that when haveing a second order butterworth filter (which your filter reminds me of) + and - should not be the same for woofer/tweeter. Did you try this?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's textbook analysis for electrical, no acoustic slope phase or Z plane emitting distances taken into account. If you will reverse polarity you will get some null in this one. If the terminals are same width then the mark (any color) should be (+) logically, but do the battery test for the sake of sanity.

The filter is ready (se picture), next step after dinner is to solder some connection cables, put some stuffing in the cabinets just to start with and insert the reflex port. It is safe doing this right? I know it will not be 100% sealed everywhere since I got a removable baffle with wooden plugs, but I can´t damage anything right?

Attachments

• filterklar.jpg
    filterklar.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 743
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.