What does a £10,000 speaker + Elco caps & cored inductors in $16,000 speakers ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It offers a good margin for the manufacturer, the distributer and the dealer! Everybody's got to eat. :D

Funny about the nearfield monitor tweeters at the mixing desk. I'm a live sound engineer and always found that studio guys mixed way too bright when they had to do it at a concert. They are so used to the details and finesse of those little nearfield monitors. You just don't get that in a big space, away from the speakers.

Easy, easy, guys :D No big deal.

I agree the footage is not complete, or even not very good. However, what do you expect to get from a 'newspaper' for ordinary readers (audience)?

Much worse information, or even plain lies are floating around in each and every possible media.

In this short video, at least you got viewpoints from recording engineer and speaker maker. The conclusion seems unclear for a whole picture, but "it is impossible to recreate the sound of an orchestra in your living room" should be quite clear. ;)

By contrast with those braggings of advertisements or blind reviews, this is almost lovely :D

Funny about the nearfield monitor tweeters at the mixing desk. I'm a live sound engineer and always found that studio guys mixed way too bright when they had to do it at a concert. They are so used to the details and finesse of those little nearfield monitors. You just don't get that in a big space, away from the speakers.

That's why in good old days Yamaha monitors had toilet paper on tweeters. It was like a fashion in studios worldwide.

I can't see it; my Gnome does not have a correct version of Flash Player, as the site suggests. :D

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi,

Yes and its bleedingly obvious. Your listening room is not the Albert Hall.

rgds, sreten.

I have thought so too
so why bother

I know now how it works
and that its a misunderstanding
close your eyes, and use your imagination
now it depends on your speakers

it is possible to 'recreate' enough acoustic info to give the feeling of being there
you need smooth and very responsive dynamic speakers
close your eyes, and imagine being there :p
your room 'disappears', and you are there
imaginary illusion, ofcourse
but what else to expect

Electrolytic caps & cored inductors in $16,000 speakers ??

I was browsing BBC news yesterday and stumbled across the following:

BBC News - What do you get from a £10,000 music speaker?

Naturally I had to look, even though I knew it would probably be a non technical fluff piece, especially at 3 1/2 minutes long. :p

The first half is about sound recording and mixing, so the playback chain isn't mentioned until 1:42. What caught my eye though was a view of the passive crossovers mounted in the base of an un-named "£10,000" speaker at 1:46 and 1:56.

The boards are absolutely loaded with electrolytic capacitors and steel/iron cored inductors. :eek: Not only that, but I count roughly 25 caps, 17 coils, and 16 resistors, for a total component count of 58 parts, which seems rather high, especially when they're being crammed onto the relatively small footprint base of the cabinet. Judging by the 5 visible cables connecting to the board it could be a 4 way system.

Maybe I'm naive, but am I the only one horrified by the widespread use of cheap looking electrolytics and cored inductors in such an expensive design ?

I recognise the "cotton bobbin" shaped cores of the larger size coils, as I've tested and rejected some that look exactly like them years ago. Although I'm not sure of their exact material composition any more, the ones I tested had serious problems with saturation when used as a 5.6mH series coil for a woofer in a 3 way design, at power levels well below 100 watts.

It's a bit less clear whether the core of the smaller coils is a magnetic core or just a former of some sort but I'm guessing it's a core.

Electrolytics need no comment I think. I guess you sometimes need them for very large values, and if you're willing to bypass them with a non-electrolytic both for high frequency bypass and to pad the value on test you could get away with it, but it doesn't appear they're doing that, with some of the electrolytics being physically rather small and probably of values that could have been done without resorting to electrolytics on a somewhat larger or less cramped board.

Does anyone know the brand and model of these ? I assume they're the tall tower speakers shown in the showroom a few seconds later. There are some sound bites from a KEF engineer later in the clip, but there's no reason to assume that the earlier speakers are KEF.

Is this an example of a passive design gone mad ? :D Too many ways, possibly complex correction (notches etc) needed for some drivers, and insufficient panel space all forcing a cramped crossover design relying heavily on electrolytics and cored inductors.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well I think you answered your own question as you point out the crossover is very complex and large despite using cored inductors and electrolytics. There is not much point having a crossover as large as the speaker itself. In the DIY world such a complex crossover would be reason to use DSP. KEF are quite scientific in their approach to loud speaker design been one of the first companies to invest in at the time very expensive measurement equipment and producing their own drivers but they are a commercial company and have to produce speakers that plug into any old power amp. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with using cored inductors as long as you don't approach saturation (IE overspec the core) and electrolytics primary weakness is not one of distortion (where loud speaker contributions are orders of magnitude greater) but of short lifespan, bypassing electolics at audio frequencies. pah. I don't think you can hear into the MHz range where there impedance starts to increase.

I suspect none of us here have heard these speakers.

From what I saw of the boards, there were some electrolytics, and some much larger (blue) poly caps. The inductors may or may not have had a ferrite core, but they were definitely cored.

For that money, I'd want a bloke to come around, measure up the room I'll be putting the speakers in, the speaker locations within the room, go away and send me a neat little module that sits between the pre-amp and the vast array of power amps I'd be using for actively powering each driver individually.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.