Ultimate Solution for an User with already present "InWall" Subwoofer:ESL or dynamicL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ultimate Solution for an User with already present "InWall" Subwoofer:ESL or dynamicL

A friend of me have sold his mid-bass Beyma loudspeakers (for follow frequency range: 70-300Hz) and his full-range speaker system from AER with ORIS horn some years ago (to see at the attached picture).
Now he want an ultimative satellite speaker solution again, but now for ever.

My favorite solution is a "two-mode" diy satellite speaker system with follow components:

1) Supravox 215-2000 (both suited as midrange for two-way between 70-1500Hz and full range between 70-20.000Hz) in an alignment for a 70-80 Hz boom-box and additional high pass filtering
Here the URLs for short form data
215-2000 SUPRAVOX
so as example for a cabinet outline:
Alize Speakers Manufacturer & Wholesaler From France

2) Stage Accompany SA8535
go to post #55 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/152359-stage-accompany-end-not.html
and to post #1 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/164153-amt-ess-1-vs-stage-accompany-sa8535-sa-8535-a.html
for looking pictures of various versions. About this threads you will find a couple of additional informations arround this Stage Accompany model and the company itself.

The SA8535 can be use as di-pole version and mono- (single) pole and was available in various outlines.
More informations about the company you will get here:
SA Vintage
Rooster Ribbon - Home

My friend has an additional favorite solution: A ESL panel from Martin Logan or an other top-class brand, appropriate for frequencies down to 70-80 Hz.

Which solution would you prefer? What are the pros and cons for both solutions? A basic drawing from the audio room of the user you will find in the pdf attachement.

Which ESL-panel from the wide range of available versions of top-class manufacturer would you recommend (I haven't great experiences with ESL's, but I know, it is difficult to reach a clean and tight sound in the upper bass range) ?

Attachments

• anlage nach Festinstallation II.JPG
    anlage nach Festinstallation II.JPG
    728.8 KB · Views: 732
  • Supravox 215-2000 front.jpg
    Supravox 215-2000 front.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 676
  • Supravox 215-2000 rear.jpg
    Supravox 215-2000 rear.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 646
  • Supravox 215-2000 cabinet view-I.jpg
    Supravox 215-2000 cabinet view-I.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 637
  • Supravox 215-2000 cabinet view-II.jpg
    Supravox 215-2000 cabinet view-II.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 634
  • Supravox 215-2000 cabinet view-III.jpg
    Supravox 215-2000 cabinet view-III.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Waigel Wohnzimmer.pdf
    7.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
"your friend" has an inherent problem in putting the subs into the wall - they are always at the wrong "time" for whatever speaker is working with them! The subs need to be slightly in front of the main speakers to combine properly...

But disregarding that problem and solving it to some extent - one could consider putting the "other" speaker also into the wall as well... a bit depends on the construction of the wall, but the advantages are multiple, including much much closer to optimal frequency response in the lows and mids from whatever driver(s) are used...

In which case, either ESLs, ribbons, or dynamic drivers are worthy of consideration. Perhaps a single removable panel in that wall is the solution?. Then whatever speaker one wants to use can be "subbed" into that spot! :D

_-_-bear

"your friend" has an inherent problem in putting the subs into the wall - they are always at the wrong "time" for whatever speaker is working with them! The subs need to be slightly in front of the main speakers to combine properly... _-_-bear

I claim, this is one of the ultimatest solution - except the bass horn like that one about
ROYAL DEVICE by Roberto Delle Curti Hi-Efficiency Loudspeakers Audiophile speaker systems High fidelity systems Sistemi di altoparlanti hi-end HiFi ed Alta Efficienza Lautsprecher Diffusori acustici stereo Enceintes acoustiques
could be slightly better (I try to make a visit to Milano next year for my own soundcheck).

I have realized such projects several times by much other user's (any few examples you will find on my web-page).

In fact- the delay time relationsship between the subwoofer-system and the satellite loudspeaker is wrong. Through a very low crossover frequency (significantly below 100 Hz and 36db/oct) this too long delay time compared with the theoretically ideal value is absolutely inaudible (cause the large wave length at this frequency aera).

But what was actually the question here ?? Read therefore post #1 again.
But disregarding that problem and solving it to some extent - one could consider putting the "other" speaker also into the wall as well... a bit depends on the construction of the wall, but the advantages are multiple, including much much closer to optimal frequency response in the lows and mids from whatever driver(s) are used..._-_-bear
This is worth a consideration, because in recording studios this approach is mostly realized.
Interferences through reflections from the rear wall now lo longer present.
The internal distance between the separation of the back wall to the actually back wall are approximately 30 cm.
In which case, either ESLs, ribbons, or dynamic drivers are worthy of consideration. Perhaps a single removable panel in that wall is the solution?. Then whatever speaker one wants to use can be "subbed" into that spot! :D _-_-bear
This approach we will check.

Last edited:
I disagree, the time differential between the sub and the bass is quite audible.

You can choose to deem it inaudible, and/or decide it is not significant to one's enjoyment, but my personal experience says otherwise.

Otoh, there are more significant aspects of a system to get "right" before worrying too much about the delay between the sub bass and the bass...

The "Royal" horn is all well and good, but I would not want to live with the delay... imo, I have seen better horn based solutions, solving the delay issue...

_-_-bear

I disagree, the time differential between the sub and the bass is quite audible._-_-bear
Please let me know more details of that subbass-bass system, where you could hear this.
I suspect that many other unwanted effects was present in your case, and the reason for your observed audible discrepancy wasn't the wrong delay for the low-bass aera.
The from me most observed lack is the not present acoustical curvatures by checking the measuring results.
When I carried out such subwoofer systems, for the already present speakers I always design and realize a high pass filter (acoustical Linkwitz-Riley, fourth order, sometimes acoustical butterworth sixth order, still with respect to the appropriate arrangement for the back wall and side wall) similar like KEF in early days - go to
http://www.kef.com/Resources/KEFTopics/KEFTOPICS_vol1no2A.pdf
The lowpass crossover frequency always will been determined by dividing frequency of the associated acoustical high pass function from the presently speakers.
Are you sure, that this was carried out also at your system in that way?
The "Royal" horn is all well and good, but I would not want to live with the delay... imo, I have seen better horn based solutions, solving the delay issue...
_-_-bear
Where ?

Last edited:
Where?

There are at least two different systems that I have seen the pix of on the web where the horn is actually a platform or stage built onto the floor, two bass horns, left right, with the mouth facing the front (listeners) and the HF part placed on the top of the platform at the same place that the bass drivers are located... a better solution, imo, IF you have the space and room size.

The way I align my speakers is by watching the impulse response using a FFT box in more or less real time and physically sliding each element WRT the other until the "best" impulse is obtained. The result is that the spatial aspect of something like a bass drum becomes more realistic and clear in terms of "space" and location. As does all the rest of the music played... the frequency and slope of the xovers is related but not the same thing... and yes, I am quite sure that as the sub bass moves farther away in time, it becomes quite audible, in the case of the ROYAL where the bass is many many feet behind I have little doubt that it is audible. Otoh, I have not hear it.

_-_-bear

Recent thread about localization of bass in the woofer forum.

After about 45 years of sticking my mixed-bass single-driver sub in all kinds of unpromising corners of many, many rooms in that time interval, I can say I just can't localize bass with 140 Hz crossover at 24dB/8ave to a clean sub. And when I've tried to trick audio-club guests into hearing bass from some box I (falsely) said was producing the bass, the usual Golden-Eared illusion was demonstrated.

If I am not mistaken, the responsibility to produce double-blind evidence that they CAN localize bass, as bear claims, rests on those who say they can.

I just read an AES study using highly sophisticated testing showed people could readily tell "same" versus "different" when the bass was placed outside the main speakers. However, they were exactly as detectable at wide angles as at narrow angles. That demonstrates that moving the bass around stimulates different sounds and has nothing to do with lateral detectability. BTW, that does mean moving the bass driver changes the sound - but it does not demonstrate that having the driver inside the main speaker box(es) is the "correct" sound.

Ben

Last edited:
Starting with Fostex FE206EN and SICA LP90 28 N92 (LP9028N92/Z009160)

Now we start with a cost effective solution:

1) Bass-mid driver, both appropriate for full range and bass-midrange:
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE206En.pdf
(filtered vented boom-box alignment with 60-100 liters chamber - frequency response down to 70 Hz (-6db)

2) Tweeter
http://www.sica.it/images/sica/prodotti/dome-tweeters/z008985.pdf
http://www.sica.it/images/sica/prodotti/dome-tweeters/Z009160.pdf
dome tweeters
Tweeter à dôme Sica LP90.28/N92TW (8 ohm)
Sica LP 90.28 / N92 (8Ohm)

Two modes will be realized:
1) two way
2) full range

BTW - the currently used loudspeaker is showed by the attachements from post #15 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...sion-devices-pd2150-inside-2.html#post2769836
and is follow model: "Master Class SP 1.1" from the German brand "SteinMusik ltd." go to
Stein Music Ltd. | 45468 Mülheim an der Ruhr | Germany | Lautsprecher | Master Class SP 1.1
http://www.image-hifi.com/images/stories/hefte/96/Inhalt01_hifi_6_10.pdf
av-magazin: Steinmusic präsentiert die neue Stateline-Serie und Neuheiten der Master Class-Serie
StereoTimes -- Commentary:

Last edited:
Concerning the predecessor from Fostex, model FE206E, you can read a comment from NP on page 17 about
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/cs-amps-speakers.pdf
The differences to the EN (successor) version are follow concerning the pdf datasheets:
FE206E/FE206EN
Sd :0.02061/0,0206 m2
Qms :3.73/4,57
Qes :0,18/0,194
Qts :0,18/0,19
Mms :15.35/12,2g
BL :11.8/10,65 Telsa/m
Vas :54,53/70,99L
Xmax :1,5/0,8mm
Cms : 0.9m/N - 1,172m/N

Last edited:
Concerning the predecessor from Fostex, model FE206E, you can read a comment from NP on page 17 about
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/cs-amps-speakers.pdf
The differences to the EN (successor) version are follow concerning the pdf datasheets:
FE206E/FE206EN
Sd :0.02061/0,0206 m2
Qms :3.73/4,57
Qes :0,18/0,194
Qts :0,18/0,19
Mms :15.35/12,2g
BL :11.8/10,65 Telsa/m
Vas :54,53/70,99L
Xmax :1,5/0,8mm
Cms : 0.9m/N - 1,172m/N

The URL for the PDF-file
https://www.passdiy.com/pdf/cs-amps-speakers.pdf
provides an error message.
Please use this URL:
http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.