Electro Voice T350 Compr. Drive - Currently available replacement with similar Sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This deluxe VHF compression driver T-350 was for me one of the best sounded horn tweeter system at those days. Much more better than the T35, although the same voice coil and phenol cone (diaphragm) is in use.
In this case follow questions:

1) What could be therefore the main reason?
2) Which currently available horn tweeter systems (except BMSpro) are presently on the marked (I don't find a successor by Electro Voice itself) ?
3) Are there significant sonic differences between the individual years of production?

Here some images and URL's from various time aeras:
?? T350 ELECTRO VOICE ??? ?????? McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase/?/?¾?????
?? T350 Electro-Voice ??? ?????? McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase/?/?¾?????
http://community.klipsch.com/forums/storage/3/1119301/t350two23k.jpg
http://community.klipsch.com/forums/storage/3/1119301/t350two23k.jpg
GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - Electro-Voice T350, T35, + Fostex tweeters. (delay adjust assembly)
One offer I have found about the ebay USA, item No 200636124805

Attachments

• Electro Voice T350 + T35.jpg
    Electro Voice T350 + T35.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 566
  • Electro Voice T350 diaphragm+VC also for T35.jpg
    Electro Voice T350 diaphragm+VC also for T35.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 568
  • Electro Voice T350 front.jpg
    Electro Voice T350 front.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 537
  • Electro Voice T350 recone kit also for T35.jpg
    Electro Voice T350 recone kit also for T35.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Electro Voice T350 rearII.jpg
    Electro Voice T350 rearII.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 538
  • Electro Voice T350 rear.jpg
    Electro Voice T350 rear.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 523
  • Electro Voice T350 front+rear.jpg
    Electro Voice T350 front+rear.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
ST350A followed using same diaphragm, different horn and then the ST350B with ferrite magnet... Not currently available there should be plenty of ST350B's lying arround. They were in loads of EV cabinets. I've got quite a few and keep finding more - which is unusual round these parts...

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr V
This deluxe VHF compression driver T-350 was for me one of the best sounded horn tweeter system at those days. Much more better than the T35, although the same voice coil and phenol cone (diaphragm) is in use.
In this case follow questions:

1) What could be therefore the main reason?
2) Which currently available horn tweeter systems (except BMSpro) are presently on the marked (I don't find a successor by Electro Voice itself) ?
3) Are there significant sonic differences between the individual years of production?

1) The T-350 has a much better horn design than the T-35, it sounds smoother, plays louder (so requires less power) can go lower and has better dispersion characteristics.

2) The Eminence APT driver is available with several different horns, the APT -200 most similar to the T-350, and has more extended response and far more power handling with similar sensitivity.

3) Different magnet structures were used over the years, ceramic magnets replacing the Alnico. The sonic differences were not much, though the ceramic units were not as pretty, and weighed more.

Shimming and alignment of the diaphragms in T-35s and T-350s is critical, depending on the care taken, large deviations in sound are possible. If the diaphragm is not perfectly installed, distortion and ragged frequency response result.
The voice coil takes very little power to burn, most T-35s or T-350s used for PA use have been re-diaphragmed, and often proper care was not put into the process. If you are not familiar with diaphragm alignment, I’d suggest steering clear of units that you can’t listen to or measure before purchase.

The photo on the left below is the APT-200, right is an EV ST-350.

Attachments

• APT-200.png
    APT-200.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 154
  • EV ST-350.png
    EV ST-350.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
New Fostex 500MkII probably will sound equally pleasant and is little more detailed . It is expensive though. In my friend's system I preffered it to TAd ET- 703 which in my system I liked more than T-350. Jensen RP-302 is splendid too although as old as T-350. I didn't like T-35 at all.

I can't find any commercial loudspeakersm where this tweeter is in use. But the reason therefore is possibly the OEM model no, similar as at the brand name Klipsch. The used tweeter modell naming was "K77" and not the good known naming "T35", as usually used from the horn manufacturer itself. But from technical view it was the same tweeter.
Who know commercial loudspeakers, where the T350 is inside, regardless of the to-read model name from the sticker of the actually T350 ?
Thank you for advices.

I can't find any commercial loudspeakersm where this tweeter is in use. But the reason therefore is possibly the OEM model no, similar as at the brand name Klipsch. The used tweeter modell naming was "K77" and not the good known naming "T35", as usually used from the horn manufacturer itself. But from technical view it was the same tweeter.
Who know commercial loudspeakers, where the T350 is inside, regardless of the to-read model name from the sticker of the actually T350 ?
Thank you for advices.
It appears that the "T350" moniker was also used for the common "T35", are you looking for the "ST350" (Super Tweeter)?

Took me a while to recall they were used in the EV "Sentry" series (my memory was looking for Century speakers, but it has been more than a half century..) which had several iterations, a few pictured below.

T-35 were used in the EV FM 12 2 (2-way floor monitor) and FM 12 3 (3 way floor monitor) as well as loads of other EV and Klipcsh models that escape my memory banks.

Art

Attachments

• Sentry III, IV.jpg
    Sentry III, IV.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
It appears that the "T350" moniker was also used for the common "T35", are you looking for the "ST350" (Super Tweeter)?

Took me a while to recall they were used in the EV "Sentry" series (my memory was looking for Century speakers, but it has been more than a half century..) which had several iterations, a few pictured below.

T-35 were used in the EV FM 12 2 (2-way floor monitor) and FM 12 3 (3 way floor monitor) as well as loads of other EV and Klipcsh models that escape my memory banks.

Art

Thanks for your reply. The recone kit for K77, T35, ST350 and T350 seems to be the same and I know all this tweeter models. But the most hard to find and most expensive is the T350 mainly due the better driver magnet - so I think. Datasheet you will find here:
http://www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=971162

An other guy inform me, that this tweeter was in use of any models from the EV Patrician series (I think the 700) - go to
Inner Magazine - Electro-Voice Patrician 800
E.V.Patrician 700 ‹ AntonioCeretti.net
North Reading Engineering
Electro-Voice Patrician 700....in the HOUSE!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.