Renkus Heinz SSD 3301 2" compression drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guy's!

I have been a member here for some time. I have enjoyed reading here but really haven't posted much.

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the Renkus Heinz SSD 3301 2" compression drivers. I have 3 three of them (badged Rauland) that are mounted on Community horns and were part of a church sound system. I've had them for quite some time now and was curious to know if any of you had tried to work them into a two way. Also, if they were worth the effort to do so sound wise.

I've dabbled around in speaker DIY using mostly JBL, Altec, B&C etc. compression drivers but never with anything from Renkus. Spotty info. on them out there but I did locate spec. sheets.

Any thoughts would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks, RC

I've used them in music PA and liked them a lot. They don't show up much, but I think they should.

IIRC, Renkus Heinz is descended from or related to Altec/Radian/Emilar I think Bear would know.

I have been told that also in one form or another.

They have a pair over on the Jammin Jersey site and are asking a goodly amount of money for them. I usually don't take much stock in their pricing because it's usually a bit high. The only thing I could glean from that is that they must still held in reasonable regard to some.

Seeing that made me think that maybe a guy should play around with them a bit instead of just tripping over them periodically ;)

Embarrassing to admit, but I have never really heard them. I did loan them out to a friend last fall. He was looking for a "PA" system to play music outdoors at a work function. I set him up with the 3301/Community horns with JBL E145's in 5 cu-ft, tuned Caberet cabs and a pair of Altec N 801-8A networks. It was a slap together system just to fill the need.

Certainly not a fine tuned speaker set-up even for that venue, but he said that it performed surprisingly well considering the hodge podge throw together and was pretty impressed.

Even on the right horn, I'm not sure if they have the chops for great HiFi but I'd sure like to find out.

RC

You know, I remember reading your the thread you started on your speakers when you first started it but never followed up. I must have missed the part about them being large format and assumed that they were 1" 1800's or similar because of the horn size.

How are you liking them?

I definitely have the 2" drivers. As far as the sound, they handily beat any other speaker I've had or currently own (current speakers: Crites-upgraded Klipsch Forte II, JBL L100, past speakers: Tekton with 6" Fostex, IMF transmission line monitors, etc).

Very good imaging, excellent midrange and top end. They're open and bright without sibilance. and extremely realistic. They're direct like LaScalas that I recently listened to, but with better imaging. Definitely big and engaging sound.

I definitely have the 2" drivers. As far as the sound, they handily beat any other speaker I've had or currently own (current speakers: Crites-upgraded Klipsch Forte II, JBL L100, past speakers: Tekton with 6" Fostex, IMF transmission line monitors, etc).

Very good imaging, excellent midrange and top end. They're open and bright without sibilance. and extremely realistic. They're direct like LaScalas that I recently listened to, but with better imaging. Definitely big and engaging sound.

That great to hear! I'm looking forward to playing around with them a bit.

I have no idea why I just left these shelved for so long without checking into them further. Sounds like they may prove interesting now.

RC

At 2" they will be beaming up high so you must be in the "Sweet spot", outside that spot will have serious HF loss, no?

I have 2" CDs from JBL, BMS and TAD Im about to try out so Im always curious about the performance of other 2" CDs.

I also wouldn't call it "serious HF loss". It is noticeable, but not catastrophic. Proper placement is key here. There is a sweet spot, but that goes for most speakers. My listening area is small and I do have the speakers toed-in considerably.

These are a good deal more focused than other speakers I listen to, but very rewarding if properly placed. It should be noted that the shape of the horns themselves have a lot to do with how big the sweet spot is.

At 2" they will be beaming up high so you must be in the "Sweet spot", outside that spot will have serious HF loss, no?

I have 2" CDs from JBL, BMS and TAD Im about to try out so Im always curious about the performance of other 2" CDs.

I would think that the horn (CD without addressing it or otherwise) would determine where HF beaming would occur and not the driver, but maybe that's what you are getting at.

If I'm listening, serious listening, I'm always in the sweet spot. My room doesn't allow for much else.

RC

I would think that the horn (CD without addressing it or otherwise) would determine where HF beaming would occur and not the driver, but maybe that's what you are getting at.

If I'm listening, serious listening, I'm always in the sweet spot. My room doesn't allow for much else.

RC

What Im saying is that its inherent to a 2" driver design and every measurement I have seen shows that the HF is purely beaming starting around 9K, The directiivty is lost and it seems the power response collapses.

Im just curious about this 2", Im pretty sure it won't be any different but its good to ask.

" Anyone know where I can get a replacement diaphram? "

"Unobtainium."

Aluminum work-hardens, so a new diaphragm sounds very different than the used one.

I would not buy these old drivers for this reason.

Any old Altec 288 is better, the "G" verions and newer blow them away.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.