Hi-Vi M6a with Vifa XT25TG30.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy folks!

I've got a pair of little 2 ways that I've made quite some time ago (recently remade the cabinets with leftover wood from a tqwt project), using Vifa XT25TG30-04 tweets and Hi-Vi M6a midbass units. Up until now, I haven't put much effort into the crossover, it's been a simple 6db at around 2500hz. I figured it would do for a little while until I had a chance to fuss with figuring out a better one.

I'd be curious to know what some opinions might be on a good crossover point and type. Any input and suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 723
Joined 2011
Paid Member
You could try this crossover network.
The 2500hz looks ok for that tweeter. A 6" should still be able to produce upper vocals and instruments well.
There is a basic rule of thumb, Fs of Tweeter x3 = lowest recommended crossover point.
That being said I might be interested in trying a 2k or 2.2k X-over.

Attachments

• Crossover Assist.jpg
    Crossover Assist.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 709
  • Crossover Assist 2.jpg
    Crossover Assist 2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 679
You could try this crossover network.
The 2500hz looks ok for that tweeter. A 6" should still be able to produce upper vocals and instruments well.
There is a basic rule of thumb, Fs of Tweeter x3 = lowest recommended crossover point.
That being said I might be interested in trying a 2k or 2.2k X-over.

Thanks Einric, that looks a lot like what I was thinking about trying first.

Quick question though, does anyone have FRD or ZMA files for either of these drivers so they can be fussed with in Jeff Bagby's spreadsheet?

attachment.php

I forgot a component to suppress the 9kHz peak, add a 0.15uF capacitor in parallel of L1 (2.2mH)
Just a word about the crossover, it is a LR2 @ 2.2kHz. For the XT25 nothing special. But the M6A have 2 peaks, one near 3kHz and an other at 9kHz.
Let us know, how it works ;)

Attachments

• M6A-XT25.JPG
    M6A-XT25.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 857
attachment.php

I forgot a component to suppress the 9kHz peak, add a 0.15uF capacitor in parallel of L1 (2.2mH)
Just a word about the crossover, it is a LR2 @ 2.2kHz. For the XT25 nothing special. But the M6A have 2 peaks, one near 3kHz and an other at 9kHz.
Let us know, how it works ;)

Absolutely, I can hear those peaks too and was planning on asking if anyone had corrected them and what they used. This looks like a solid plan, thank you very much!

I'll see how much of this stuff I have in my parts bin already and what I've gotta grab from madisound. I'll let you know how it works out.

Looks decent...

That 10 ohm resistor across the XT25 is a GOOD thing. You will damp the Fs enough where it will no longer be any issue at all. If the XT still buzzes on James Taylor, you'll know it.

WRT the M6a, I think the LCR may take care of the dual-peaks on its own if you reduce the resistor value, and/or decrease the cap size. You'll effectively notch out most everything above the xover point.

Looks like a decent sim.
Later,
Wolf

Absolutely, I can hear those peaks too and was planning on asking if anyone had corrected them and what they used. This looks like a solid plan, thank you very much!

I'll see how much of this stuff I have in my parts bin already and what I've gotta grab from madisound. I'll let you know how it works out.

DrDyna, I use a similar crossover on my Vifa tweeter as well and found that it is a lot smoother and silkier with a 4.7uF series cap instead of a 10uF.

Yes the XT25 will have a better sound, the crossover frequency will be 4kHz but the Hivi cannot goes so high :eek:

Well, I dug through my parts bin, and it looks like I'm going to be ordering most of the parts, lol.

Madisound doesn't seem to have the 0.15uf caps (I usually use Solen) so I'm going to have to snag Auricap from parts express.

Has anyone used them before and are they decent, within good tolerances and such?

The 0.15uF could be find if you have a local electronic dealer ?

if this one ? too expensive
Auricap 0.15uF 400V Capacitor

This one can do the job but ten pieces...
0.15uF 200V Polyester Film Capacitor

10 probably wouldn't be bad either, I plan (eventually) to re-do my center channel and all 4 surround speakers with the same parts at some point in time.

I priced them out and it looks like it's going to be around 80 usd for each crossover, which isn't too bad, but most of it is the coils.

Damn you copper prices!

Jerome, could you check this shopping list and make sure I read all your values correctly?

Coils: 2.2mh, 1.0mh, 0.22mh.
Caps: 10uf, 2.2uf, 0.15uf.
Resistors: 3.3ohm, 10ohm, 6.8ohm.

Just want to make sure I didn't move any decimals where they shouldn't be! Also, it appears that Solen has the 0.15 caps for $1.83, much cheaper!

Wow. I quickly twisted together some extra components I had laying around in this basic design and I have to say, what an improvement! Much more relaxed, less edge / harshness and great dynamics.

I can't wait to hear what they sound like once I order all the correct parts with the right values.

I finished the new crossover with proper values last night. I'm still in the process of listening to a variety of material, but so far, I'm very happy. They are much more relaxed and less fatiguing than they used to be now that the M6A peaks are under control and the tweeter FS is damped.

I just wanted to say thanks one more time for giving me a head start on learning Speaker Workshop and for helping me with a starting design. Next step, learn how to implement BSC!

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.