Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2013, 08:38 AM   #201
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Put in a lower value capacitor for the 8uF. This will move the crossover freq up a bit.
The result is less power going to the treble driver and a longer life.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:47 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Put in a lower value capacitor for the 8uF. This will move the crossover freq up a bit.
The result is less power going to the treble driver and a longer life.
How much lower than 8uF what increments?

Will less power to the tweeter result in less volume?

Thank you
Old 18th June 2013, 01:01 PM   #203
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

the passband will play at the same volume.
But the passband will be narrower.
You may find that the crossover will be quite/some wrong with a smaller cap, but I would rather have some music than no music.
Old 19th June 2013, 12:21 AM   #204
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcblaster View Post
Why is the woofer crossover different when a different tweeter is used?
Two things that the woofer crossover affects...where it cuts out (it's rolloff), and the shape/steepness etc. They should match the tweeter or one or both will require adjustment to match.

Other examples: You might change your brand of tweeter and if you get the response the same as the old one you could leave the woofer crossover as it is...and you can (generally speaking) change the shape or cut off point for both (with the original woofer and tweeter) and still be OK matching them at the crossover.

Even more reasons why circuits might look different: There are a number of different ways to produce a circuit that will do exactly the same thing. You'll also sometimes find that some parts of a complicated crossover are actually making very small changes to what the circuit is doing, and it would sound reasonable even without them.
Old 19th June 2013, 01:50 AM   #205
diyAudio Member

What books are recommended to learn crossovers and speaker specifications.

Thank you
Old 7th July 2013, 03:56 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

First of all, lemme just say that this is an amazing article. I am so gratified pouring into the knowledge of these great audiophiles writing here.

Thanks, you've helped me immensely in my quest for a better understanding of speaker technology.

I just wonder how on earth you came up with the number 12.6 for the tweeter's crossover?

Quote:
Take the value of impedance you wrote down two posts ago (for our example it was 3.75). Multiply it by 12.6 and then multiply it by the crossover frequency. For example, 3.75 x 12.6 x 2000 equals 94500.
I'm not doubting ya, it's probably some mathematical constant based on the physical properties of the sound, but i am none the less curious as to how or why.
Old 8th July 2013, 02:26 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

It is partly the 2*pi portion of the capacitive reactance calculation, modified by the relative capacitance needed with the inductor for the desired damping (ie Q=0.5). So, 4*pi=12.6

Last edited by AllenB; 8th July 2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:05 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

I registered just to say thank you AllenB - thanks for a fantastic article !

I've had cobbled together speakers all my life, and I'm finally going to bite the bullet, buy some brand new cones and try to make something of my own that I can be proud of.

The crossover has always put me off in the past, seeming like a hybrid of advanced physics, extreme mathematics and voodoo (possibly benefiting from the sacrifice of several small animals).

Your article doesn't make it look easy, but at least now it does look 'do-able'.

Thank you for your time mate
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:40 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

I tried estimate substitutions on a graphing calculator and found out it can make the system do some weird things if the overlaps start wrestling. Things like low impedance dips , crazy zig zags in the spl levels around the crossover. Adjusted both sides of the xover and it smoothed the spl plot very well.

I hope this is read as helpful, not criticism. The thread is excellent.
Old 31st July 2013, 10:19 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

Thanks Napalm.

It's worth noting that certain problems can't be fixed within a crossover. Not using rounded edges can be one of those problems. Good luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!