Compression Driver for the IWATA-300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im looking for a decent 2" CD for the IWATA-300 that Im considering.

So far I have found the RADIAN 760NEOPB to meet my needs, I just do not know how it really measures and the $300 price tag is steep but I assume all these 2" CDs are going to be expensive.

Im looking for a decent 2" CD for the IWATA-300 that Im considering.

So far I have found the RADIAN 760NEOPB to meet my needs, I just do not know how it really measures and the $300 price tag is steep but I assume all these 2" CDs are going to be expensive.

I don't think that 300 US is expensive for a 2" exit driver, but it's relative.

The real questions are:

Is this a "full-range" driver, or is it going to be used for mid-driver applications only?

What's the entrance angle for the horn?

If it's being used without a tweeter, then I'd opt for the 18sound ND1460A version with the 2" exit: the ND2060A. It's a 3 inch diameter aluminum driver with a very extended freq. response and a VERY linear impedance. (..it's impedance profile alone could save you a lot of heartache.)

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/ND2060A/18-SOUNDND2060A/

..costs more, but almost certainly worth it.

Here are Loudspeakerplus's other offerings:

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/category/CD02/2-Exit-Compression-Drivers/1.html

Obviously the Selenium and the PAudio are considerably lower in cost.

Last edited:
I don't think that 300 US is expensive for a 2" exit driver, but it's relative.

The real questions are:

Is this a "full-range" driver, or is it going to be used for mid-driver applications only?

What's the entrance angle for the horn?

If it's being used without a tweeter, then I'd opt for the 18sound ND1460A version with the 2" exit: the ND2060A. It's a 3 inch diameter aluminum driver with a very extended freq. response and a VERY linear impedance. (..it's impedance profile alone could save you a lot of heartache.)

18 SOUND_ND2060A ND2060A

..costs more, but almost certainly worth it.

Here are Loudspeakerplus's other offerings:

2" Exit Compression Drivers

Obviously the Selenium and the PAudio are considerably lower in cost.

I will have to ask on the group buy thread what the entrance angle is. The application will be a 2-way design with this CD doing 500Hz to 15KHz.

Most of the CDs I have looked at today do not have impedance curves and the ones that do definitely are messy so great point about the 18sound choice above (The measuremnts on eighteensound.com are nice for it).

I was also considering the P-audio for obviously its price point but also the Radian 760PB because I own the Radian 475Bs and like them but I have not found the impedance measurements on that choice.

I recently acquired the JBL 2445. In a cheap, smallish horn, it is quite flat from about 1k through to 16k. John (aka carpenter) uses it in his big tractrix horn from 400 Hz to 16kHz.

I have been on some pro audio sites looking for the JBL 2446/2447 models. They seem to go for around $300 to $400 each.

One thing is for sure this 2" CD search shows me that its an expensive choice.

None of those play nice much below 1KHz. This project requires < 600Hz XO.

Is there a reason anyone would ever use a 1" driver with a LARGE horn? I just seems like it goes against the purpose of the design.

Are you sure your 1" exit driver's are useless? I grant you that it's far more likely than not, but I don't think you would really know unless you tried it out. I also think it wouldn't require much effort or cost much.

There actually *is* a reason - freq. linearity and extension at higher freq.s, but I'm not sure it is a compelling reason.

Don't get me wrong, my personal preference is for a large format driver and horn, WITH a another driver handling the upper treble. I just think you have a non-costly opportunity.. and this is a DIY forum. ;)

Personally for something as custom as your horn purchase I would budget a "float-pool" to purchase many different drivers simultaneously - ALL from sources with excellent return policies. Directly compare all of them and return all but the set that works best for you. (..and then of course report back here with the results.:D )

Hello,

Examples of small diameter exit comrpession drivers having been used with great success on mid-bass horns are:

--- TAD TD2001 on the Sato snail horn

---WE555W on WE15A, WE16A, WE22A ...snail horns.

In the case one listen at very large SPL level, it is still possible to use a spacer to increase a bit the distance from diaphragm to phase plug in order to avoid the rupture of the diaphragm on the phase plug .

Also enlarging the rear cavity (which has been done on the TD2001) may somewhat lower the frequency resonance of the driver (not that much according to my own measurements.

Most modern 2 inches in fact cannot go more deep in frequency than a TD2001 (with its Fs = 250Hz). A metal diaphragm with a polymer suspension is highly recommanded by example an old JBL driver 244x with a radian daphragm having a mylar suspension.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

None of those play nice much below 1KHz. This project requires < 600Hz XO.

Is there a reason anyone would ever use a 1" driver with a LARGE horn? I just seems like it goes against the purpose of the design.

Are you sure your 1" exit driver's are useless? I grant you that it's far more likely than not, but I don't think you would really know unless you tried it out. I also think it wouldn't require much effort or cost much.

There actually *is* a reason - freq. linearity and extension at higher freq.s, but I'm not sure it is a compelling reason.

Don't get me wrong, my personal preference is for a large format driver and horn, WITH a another driver handling the upper treble. I just think you have a non-costly opportunity.. and this is a DIY forum. ;)

Personally for something as custom as your horn purchase I would budget a "float-pool" to purchase many different drivers simultaneously - ALL from sources with excellent return policies. Directly compare all of them and return all but the set that works best for you. (..and then of course report back here with the results.:D )

Thanks Scott, great points.

I own the BMS 4550 (and 4552), Radian 475B, Celestion 1745, Selenium D220 choices. None of them really play nice down too this projects possible XO point so it would have to be another coice.

The more I look at all the choices the more I like that 18sound impedance curve. I wonder if its remotely accurate being that its from the 18sound site.

Hello,

Examples of small diameter exit comrpession drivers having been used with great success on mid-bass horns are:

--- TAD TD2001 on the Sato snail horn

---WE555W on WE15A, WE16A, WE22A ...snail horns.

In the case one listen at very large SPL level, it is still possible to use a spacer to increase a bit the distance from diaphragm to phase plug in order to avoid the rupture of the diaphragm on the phase plug .

Also enlarging the rear cavity (which has been done on the TD2001) may somewhat lower the frequency resonance of the driver (not that much according to my own measurements.

Most modern 2 inches in fact cannot go more deep in frequency than a TD2001 (with its Fs = 250Hz). A metal diaphragm with a polymer suspension is highly recommanded by example an old JBL driver 244x with a radian daphragm having a mylar suspension.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

No doubt the TAD TD2001 is a great driver. I remember then being very expensive.

The more I look at all the choices the more I like that 18sound impedance curve. I wonder if its remotely accurate being that its from the 18sound site.

It is of course dependent on the Horn as well, but..

From PaulW's Raptor at HTGuide:

Attachments

• ND1460A-XT1464rawimpedance.gif
    ND1460A-XT1464rawimpedance.gif
    67.6 KB · Views: 547
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.