Compression Driver for the IWATA-300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I second the Radian 760PB. I tried yesterday to cross it from 450Hz-16kHz up to a tall ribbon tweeter, with a 12" JBL 2204H woofer up to 450Hz. Wonderful sound paired with a tube amp. I think it was the best sound that I have achieved so far. I am starting to believe crossover points around 1000Hz should be avoided. Even if I have a better driver above 1500Hz, than the Radian 760PB, installing it take away something prestine from the sound. I do have to EQ a lot for the Radian 760PB to perform across the whole 450-16khz.

But it is coloured and subtly harsh, so not for everyone. You get as much back as you must suffer with compression drivers. :) You notice it first when compairing it A/B with a boringly correct AMT mid driver, so many ask me what the hell I am talking about saying compression drivers can be harsh.

Last edited:
Hello,

My friend René Cariou is using on his Iwata-300 (Autotech) Radian 760NEOPB compression drivers.

From the meaurement we made on his system, I could caclulate a crossover integrating both impedane equalization and reponse equalization (to avoid a tweeter).

Here is the schematics of the crossover :

and few pictures of the horn + crossover :

Best regards from Paris,

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Attachments

• filtre_René_Cariou_en.gif
    filtre_René_Cariou_en.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Radian_760_Iwata_300.JPG
    Radian_760_Iwata_300.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 399
Great, thanks. I have the normal 750-8 (that I am pretty sure is a 760pb taken from a Radian coaxial speaker). Might be slightly different than the nd version, but it should work.

Now I have an alternative to the Minidsp 4xx10hd, which takes away something from the sound. Probably due to loss of bitrate and that the D/A conversion are not as good as the Lynx L22 soundcard I used before. The sound quality was slightly better with the Lynx, and just protection capacitors, but the XO was a little off.

I tried a smaller homemade IWATA and I prefer round horns. Working on a wooden GOTO S-150 horn now. THAT will be exciting to try.

Did you ever compare the JA-6681B and Radian? That is what will be doing this weekend. :)

Last edited:
Hello,

I received recently from Autotech Iwata-300 horns that I intend to use with my McCauley 9620 which were in fact designed and built by Sony. Sony used to commercializ them under the reference Sony SUP T14.

To use my Yamaha 6681 on the Iwata it would need an adapatator due to the exit diameter of the Yamaha being smaller than 2". But I received also a pair of E-JMLC 600 and as I learned that when you remove the front hollow part of the Yamaha 6681 then the exit at the apex of the phase plug is exactly 1", so most probably I'll put the Yamaha on the E-JMLC600.

Measurement will be done after my summer holidays.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

But I received also a pair of E-JMLC 600 and as I learned that when you remove the front hollow part of the Yamaha 6681 then the exit at the apex of the phase plug is exactly 1", so most probably I'll put the Yamaha on the E-JMLC600.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hello Jean-Michel,

interesting to read that you are going to put the E-JMLC600 through its paces yourself!

I have been considering that horn for my own use too (I'd be using it with my Fostex D1400 AlNiCo 1" drivers). The only thing that's held be back so far is the reported 600Hz cut-off frequency (Fc). I'd like to cross them over at 900Hz, so I think that Fc might be a bit too high (450Hz would have been better, I think). OTOH, the horn is quite large and deep, compared to other nominally 600Hz horns... What do you think? Would it be suitable for a 900Hz crossover? The Fostex driver is of the "old school" type, its geometry being quite similar in fact to the of the TAD TD-2001, and according to my own measurements it gives a solid response right down to the horn cut-off on the Fostex H400 radial horn (Fc = 455Hz).

Thank you in advance for your insight!

Best regards from London,

Marco

Last edited:
How strange that Radian recommend the 760neopb to run at 900-2000hz, and the 760pb 500-1200Hz. With EQ I can get up to 16kHz, but I will be satisfied with 5000Hz.
I think I made the best deal not to go with neodynium magnets then. The 760pb's ability to reach 450Hz is fantastic.

I would like to try the Fostex D1400. Everyone say alnico is so great, but I have not heard them yet.
I have only tried Alnico magnets as guitar pickups, like the P90 pickup on Gibson guitars. I think they are too creamy and buttery, so I prefer the ceramic magnets, like the one in the Superdistortion pickup. It is a harder sound for sure, but more true.

Very different applications, but I wonder if the same can be said about the Fostex D1400 alnico vs Radian 760PB ceramic.

I have tried 1" beyma CD10nD, which is a neo magnet compression driver (900-18000Hz) and they were slightly clearer in a way, than their ceramic Beyma counterpart, but too intense. I ended up using the much cheaper ceramic 1" Beyma CD instead. Nowadays I am sold on Radian 760pb.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.