Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

as to the CBT36 - a loudspeaker that needs 90 drivers per side to sound good? really?

"The Great Way is very level; but people greatly delight in tortuous paths"

and people just love to FORCE things with some pricey sophisticated weaponry and to boast about their pricey sophisticated weaponry, that's all

as to the CBT36 - a loudspeaker that needs 90 drivers per side to sound good? really?
Is it a problem to have many drivers when the cost is low? The benefit is a power response that exceeds anything.
I get the feeling from this discussion, that some are more interested in defending their choices rather then being open minded.

But what for it matters, you can have less drivers too.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Is it a problem to have many drivers when the cost is low?

2-3 kUSD for a kit is not that high, but what about time and skill needed to complete it? these have their price too

OTOH almost 10 kUSD for a simplified CBT ie. that Selah Audio "Gamechanger" is not especially low, is it?

The benefit is a power response that exceeds anything.

with all due respect I beg to differ

I get the feeling from this discussion, that some are more interested in defending their choices rather then being open minded.

wow! this must be the first time someone suggests here that I am close-minded :D

2-3 kUSD for a kit is not that high, but what about time and skill needed to complete it? these have their price too

OTOH almost 10 kUSD for a simplified CBT ie. that Selah Audio "Gamechanger" is not especially low, is it?
It's not difficult to assemble the speakers. As long as you can read english from the manual and solder you're fine. Sanding and finish is something you can get done elsewhere, if you don't want to do it yourself.

A complete finished CBT36 is expensive too, but I thought we're at a DIY forum. :)

with all due respect I beg to differ
Explain how and show measurements that exceeds what I've posted.

The benefit is a power response that exceeds anything.

it's not just power response that matters - it would be too simple

what matters is the whole interaction between direct and reflected sound in room

CBT36 deals with the floor reflection and with the ceiling reflection - possibly better than a conventional mutli-driver array - very good, I like it

but it seems to me that the rest - with such a driver configuration - must be just a pure mess

Last edited:
Omholt,
did you ever switch the CBTs left right? If yes, did it make a difference for your ears? I guess, it should make a difference to the better, but only guessing from theory. Real life might tell otherwise. :)

321486d1355685729-these-speakers-bad-acoustic-companies-cbt36-001-medium-.jpg

I see some amount of damping material in your room. Could you tell, which is considered purely room related and which is specifically CBT related. If such a differentiation can be made.

Rudolf

This is of course true and quite consistent with the human condition. Which is why I just do not accept any of the subjective comments on any speaker within these forums. I will look at valid data, but opinions are pretty much pointless in situations like this. We latch on to what we believe and we don't let go no matter what. Its never going to be any different.

If you want to read how bad this situation really is, and trust me its worse than you can even imagine, read Thinking, Fast and Slow: Daniel Kahneman: 9780374275631: Amazon.com: Books

Well, it looks like tweeters and woofers on all sides.
imp360-2.jpg photo - Gary Eickmeier photos at pbase.com
It's some kind of bipole omni, yes with different amplitudes on opposing sides.

That is not the speaker that I entered in the Challenge. It is my first prototype. It was pretty good, but very large and cumbersome and I wanted to make something so simple and cheap that it would prove my point about radiation pattern being the main design factor in creating the AS. I was just as surprised as the rest of them that it won.

Gary Eickmeier

This is of course true and quite consistent with the human condition. Which is why I just do not accept any of the subjective comments on any speaker within these forums. I will look at valid data, but opinions are pretty much pointless in situations like this.

Sure, but shall we pause a minute and remember something?

I measured the data myself and was assisted by Dave Clark - who is no amatuer either (just to fend off any suggestions of tampering). He set them up and I measured them. He was present the whole time.
The Orions were direct from Linkwitz and made by his factory. I will swear by the data as being accurate of what we had. I can't speak to what we had as working correctly or not, but it is exactly what someone would get if they bought it from Linkwitz.

following with:

I should mention that in a recent blind listening test it beat out the Orion. The data supports that result.

and finally..

Corrected the Orion plots.
Thanks for pointing that out John. I would never have caught that myself since I had no base of comparison.

So, just to come back to our topic, what to believe now? I did ask before about the Orion polar in the Clarke's paper, the measurement is obviously wrong, has not been corrected and is still presented three years later as evidence, but nobody answered. Could we maybe have the corrected plots now?

Then people like Mason obviously draw conclusions and put someone's reputation in jeopardy, but based on what? What is subjective, objective? Where is the "pseudo-science" really?

I am not trying to make fun of anyone, I am just puzzled..

That is not the speaker that I entered in the Challenge. It is my first prototype. It was pretty good, but very large and cumbersome and I wanted to make something so simple and cheap that it would prove my point about radiation pattern being the main design factor in creating the AS. I was just as surprised as the rest of them that it won.

Gary Eickmeier

Hi,

So would you share some info about your speaker that actually won ?

- Elias

So, just to come back to our topic, what to believe now? I did ask before about the Orion polar in the Clarke's paper, the measurement is obviously wrong, has not been corrected and is still presented three years later as evidence, but nobody answered. Could we maybe have the corrected plots now?

Then people like Mason obviously draw conclusions and put someone's reputation in jeopardy, but based on what? What is subjective, objective? Where is the "pseudo-science" really?

I am not trying to make fun of anyone, I am just puzzled..

There never was any error in the polar response, just the axial response and this was corrected before Dave Clark's paper was written I believe. It was corrected within days of the data being taken, it did not linger for long. So I don't believe that there are any of my measurements that are available that are incorrect. I found the error in Holm and I have corrected for it ever since.

The data is available (and has been for years) on my website by running the Polar_Map software. Some have trouble running this software, but for the most part if you use Windows, Explorer, and have or allow the installation of .Net then it should work. It also won't work in any Windows installation that uses a comma for a decimal point.