Why no high efficiency bass drivers for sealed bass channel? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2010, 12:18 AM   #21
bbggg is offline bbggg  United States
diyAudio Member

The OP might want to take a look at woofers by Eighteen Sound, a pro manufacturer from Italy.
Some of their bigger models feature 16 and 8 Ohm versions, neo magnets, double or triple spiders, and goodly efficiency.
Some woofers by Precision Devices may also fit the bill, but they are expensive, so they actually might not.
Old 10th October 2010, 10:42 AM   #22
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

selenium high q required for closed box. Selenium has that only watch out for the limited xmax. works fine for hifi medium power.

simulation series resistance 0,4 ohm of filter is calculated.

http://www.selenium.com.br/site/asse..._pdfManual.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sele 12p12.JPG (71.8 KB, 378 views)
Old 11th October 2010, 07:02 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
selenium high q required for closed box. Selenium has that only watch out for the limited xmax. works fine for hifi medium power.

simulation series resistance 0,4 ohm of filter is calculated.

http://www.selenium.com.br/site/asse..._pdfManual.pdf
It's 5 dB down at 60 Hz. Even with room contribution, the low end will be suffering. eq'ing the response just gets the overall sensitivity down, to a normalt 15" hifi woofer, with natural linearity in the low end (not the high mass moderne woofers - try look at the Peerless i'm linking)
Old 11th October 2010, 07:14 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default closed box Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumaudioguy View Post
By the way,- we all here prefer to use low Q in box, 0.5 or less, and EQ to end up with flat bass in a calibrated system. Never have been in a room that did not have problems in the bass so EQ has always been used.
I prefer a Q around 0.6. Much lower than that and you get what I call "market-place-bass" - it sounds like bass in a very large outdoor setting. I know a guy with a closed box speaker with a Q of 0.3 and it sounds remarkably bad.

Best
Kris
Old 11th October 2010, 07:17 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default 18 Sound sealed enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbggg View Post
The OP might want to take a look at woofers by Eighteen Sound, a pro manufacturer from Italy.
Some of their bigger models feature 16 and 8 Ohm versions, neo magnets, double or triple spiders, and goodly efficiency.
Some woofers by Precision Devices may also fit the bill, but they are expensive, so they actually might not.
I know 18Sound fairly well and their woofers are made for sound reinforcement which means ported enclosures.
I specifically asked about woofers for closed box.

Kris
Old 12th October 2010, 02:09 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

My best attempt so far is a ported box that 'sounds' like a closed box (basically an overdamped response) with a low port tuning (~32hz). Doing that and using activated charcoal to increase box compliance by an estimated 50% and playing some (passive) xover tricks to fill in the otherwise saddle shaped LF response allows me to get 90db + at 40hz trending to 100db/w/m above 60hz in half space in a 100 liter enclosure using a JBL 2220A. Part of the xover is 600uF of polypropylene input coupling capacitance which limits excursion below the passband and give an extra db or two response in the 30-40hz range. This capacitance value would seem a bit low, but this is actually a true 16 ohm system (that I allow to dip to 12 below 40 hz to scoop up a db or two more sensitivity in that range), even though it uses an '8 ohm' bass driver partly due to a custom wound air core transformer in the xover which almost completely flattens the upper BR impedance peak, turning it into into more sensitivity in the 50-80 hz range. I call it the Iron Lawbreaker.

I have considered making a super low moving mass high efficiency 15" driver that might work in a closed box for good bass extension but have not found the time yet.

Last edited by thoriated; 12th October 2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12th October 2010, 03:28 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

It may not be low enough but I am running two Acoustic Elegance TD15S to achieve a good response sealed to ~45Hz. As I say, not sure if this is low enough but you could run them in series for 16 Ohms. It requires a big box!
Old 12th October 2010, 07:31 AM   #28
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

This should be ideal, I should've thought about it earlier:

400 EXC SUPRAVOX

High efficiency, low fs, light cone, adjustable motor strength (Q), how adorable!!
Old 12th October 2010, 12:58 PM   #29
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

He needs LARGE drivers do this and still have sensitivity.

TD18H from AEspeakers.com is a SICK woofer.

Depending on what he considers efficient, I Would even say the AV15H is another incredible woofer. Its actually a subwoofer but its sensitivity is the highest for that class of designs I have ever seen and it digs deep!!

Last edited by doug20; 12th October 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 14th October 2010, 04:27 AM   #30
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Er.... any limit to the 'box' size? If no, how about this

AE TD15M (what?), used in IB (or you can build a box of 1000 liter), and got this: 90dB/w at 32Hz. BUT, driven by an amp with 10 Ohm output impedance.
Attached Images
File Type: png TD15 IB_10R.png (27.4 KB, 258 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!