T-Line protype Finished

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Huh oh you, wrong martin, i know who the other one is, but alas, always seem to get the 2 names mixed up, especialy when typing, dont know where my mind wanders then.

Thanks for all the replies it seems, there is quite a large following, just a bit of a sillent one at times.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Library search denied: Insufficient data.

planet10 said:
Speaking of articles on TLs from Brit mags, does anyone have the Hi-fi World ? article from the early 1980's with 3 designs in a series mini-line / midi-line / maxi?

It can't be Hi-Fi World because that only started in 1993, but it might be Hi-Fi News as they still did quite a few constructional articles at that time. Another possibility was Practical Hi-Fi (now defunct). Any more clues? As library references go, your description is on the nebulous side of extremely vague.:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Library search denied: Insufficient data.

EC8010 said:
It can't be Hi-Fi World because that only started in 1993, but it might be Hi-Fi News as they still did quite a few constructional articles at that time. Another possibility was Practical Hi-Fi (now defunct). Any more clues? As library references go, your description is on the nebulous side of extremely vague.:)

I got the request in an email -- and now that i know it exists i am curious too :)

Used Dalesford drivers with a KEF DN12 XO (must be a 3-way then). I'll see if i can get more info (and maybe the original quester posting here).

dave

Dave, thanks for the rendered picture, and yes that looks real like the ones I have - picked them up at a swap meet for $30.00 years ago.
I believe that these were supplied as a kit by L.E. Chapman & Co and featured as an article in Electronics Australia mag in the early to mid seventies - my drivers are date stamped 1975.
I'm surprised you haven't pulled leads out from the B110 -- it is much better than the B200, particularily from about 2k up to the XO point. I have details of KEFs aB XO for the T27 if you want to tweak the XO (i wouldn't be surprised if the XO in the TL is a DN12.
The TL cabinet is running the B-139 only - DN12 crossover board is removed and mid and tweeter are disconnected.
A DOD 835 series II electronic crossover is doing the split - anybody have a circuit for this ?.
The B-110's have a short circuit across them to stop them pulsing in unison with the B-139.
The upper KEF cabinets are running 100Hz up and do the job quite well except for the T-27 tweeters that are not real flash in my books - not real extended highs and resonance down lower.
I have experimented with CR and LCR networks across the tweeter on one channel but need to get more bits to complete the job.
This does markedly improve the performance of the T-27 but still I think I prefer to fit some better tweeters to get more extended highs.
Overall this combination works very well, gives plenty of level and is clear and clean, and the bass impresses everybody that has heard this system.

Dave, can you give me details of the Kef aB crossover - thanks.

Eric.

MJK said:
If people are looking for some TL design help, and maybe the MathCad worksheets are a little bit overwhelming, I have recently added a set of alignment tables for classic TLs to my site.

20 Hz > fs > 70 Hz
0.3 > Qts > 0.5
0.1 > SL/S0 > 10

I've been looking at designs where the "fs" used for tuning the TL is higher than the "fs" of the driver. Do you think it would work to extrapolate those tables a little, say up to 80 or 85 Hz? Higher?

Is it way too complicated to compute the tables "by hand" or with a simple computer program? I skimmed the article, but I am afraid I don't have enough time right now to study it.

By the way, I bought a MathCad 2001. (Haven't sent the check yet though.)

Attachments

• sotad_mini.gif
    sotad_mini.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 266
maxi midi & mini TLs from hifi News & record review

Hi I built a set of the "midi lines" in early 80'2 when I was about 18 yo using drivers and plans from WILMSLOW AUDIO in the uk - based on the now defunct DALESFORD Co. drivers (10" D100/250 & 5" D30/110 (B110 knock off) & 1" ferro-fluid tweeter D10R - I think it may have even used a KEF xover??)

the maxi & midi line plans are long gone (lent to a mate who "lost" them) but I still have the midi line article by PAtkinson and even have the DALESFORD driver specs from the Wilmslow Audio catalogue (contrary to my wife's opinion I don't hoard useless junk)

I can try and scan them - if anyone is interested?

I put the TLs away as my house is tiny plus I didn't want my kids to damage the irreplaceable bass drivers - I'll have to bring them out of retirement as they're grown up now...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.