What Would YOU Do With This Cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy, first post. I've been learning a lot just reading.

I got this cabinet on Craigslist for 50 bucks. The seller found it abandoned in a warehouse 30 years ago, and had always meant to do something with it but...

I'm putting together a tube based mono system. The amp right now is a Heathkit A7 putting out 7 watts. Source will be the music server. I've got ideas for this cab, but you guys have the experience. What would you do with this thing? And although I'm posting in Multi-Way, I'm open to Fullrange solutions too, but I don't have the bucks to compete with our Korean friends for a Stephens True-Sonic.

This looks to be a home-made cab, but it's really well constructed. 36" W, 32" H, 20" deep.
P7041189Medium.jpg

The baffle is for a 15" driver.
P7041190Medium.jpg

The seller said it's a dual folded horn. Is that correct?
P7041191Medium.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions, and have a happy 4th of July!

Fascinating! Thank you all! And thanks to Flaesch, I know it's a Jensen cabinet design, and I found the original plans, should I ever decide to expand this into a stereo system:

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Jensen/bulletin3-3.jpg

Funny thing is that I understood the Russian link more than I did the Econowave one--I don't speak at that high of a technical level, I'm just a piano player...

Lots of possibilities. A vintage co-axial, and it's an instant two or three way. Or, some good used JBL components with a separate horn and driver on top. I like the looks of that monster one on the Russian site.

And yes, it can be used in a corner to good effect, but the original Jensen doc says it isn't necessary.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm psyched that I scored this thing. But damn, it isn't my idea of compact, it's three feet across!

I nabbed a JBL 2220A 15" last night for a good price on eBay. So instead of the vintage coaxial route, I'll be adding a horn and crossover to this guy. I'm anxious to hear it just with the woofer. It doesn't have the cross braces like the original plans show, or the photos in Flaesh's link, but I can add those if I get some wonky vibrations or resonances. Those shelves aren't for structural support, this thing is solid as a rock.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very cool!

I like Cal's idea of the satellites, but if you you are keen to put a horn on it, look around for an Altec 811 horn and a driver to suit. Even the new Selenium D220Ti works very well on the 811. Stuff isn't moving on eBay right now, so you may find a deal on a single horn and/or driver.

Zilch's QSC horn would also be nice, but not as much "vintage fun." :)

I must confess that I wasn't sure what Cal meant by satellites, nor do I know beans about waveguides and such. I'm old school, been working with audio all my life, more or less, but almost all studio work for the last 25 years, and all with near-field monitors for the last ten. I use Adam A7s now for studio work. So I've been away from many developments no doubt in live sound.

I like the idea of an Altec horn with a less expensive modern driver. That Selenium gets good reviews on parts-express.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
$50-75 is reasonable. Sometimes you'll find them for less, if it's a single horn and no driver.

The 511 is much more forward and midrange sounding. That can be taken care of with EQ, but the 811 is the long time favorite for home and studio monitor use. Flatter sounding, more neutral.

The 511 is much more forward and midrange sounding. That can be taken care of with EQ, but the 811 is the long time favorite for home and studio monitor use. Flatter sounding, more neutral.
Not by my measurement or listening experience. They both exhibit the same coloration, and both beam the VHF when the driver is compensated to provide it; 511 is more "beastly," but will play down to 800 Hz with an appropriate driver.

804/806 is suitable for 3-way only, a formidable task when using them on these sectorals. Here's my work with the Selenium(s) from several years ago:

Drivers for 811b's ? - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

If you want all Altec, use a new GPA 902 driver with a Model 19 crossover on either sectoral horn.

Funny thing is that I understood the Russian link more than I did the Econowave one--I don't speak at that high of a technical level, I'm just a piano player...
Just click the link to "Deluxe" in the first post to see the QSC waveguide in situ. I've never run Seleniums on them, but may do that later today to get some comparable measurements. I can virtually guarantee it will both measure and sound better than the 811 or 511, and only costs $12.50 new, direct from QSC Parts.... :yes:

Last edited:
Just click the link to "Deluxe" in the first post to see the QSC waveguide in situ. I've never run Seleniums on them, but may do that later today to get some comparable measurements. I can virtually guarantee it will both measure and sound better than the 811 or 511, and only costs $12.50 new, direct from QSC Parts.... :yes:

Ahhh, the light bulb went on this time! Now I see what you're talking about. Unfortunately, there isn't room to mount one in the baffle--there's only 8 inches above or below it, so another cabinet would be necessary.

I could make another baffle with the 15" driver mounted lower, but would that let out some of the magic smoke of the original design? Seems like the designer wants the 15 right in the center of the baffle. I don't know, so I ask...

Anyway, I'm not locked into all Altec, I just want it to sound awesome, and I want to do it CHEAP. The vintage Altec stuff is great, but the prices have gotten silly. At the end of the day, this speaker just has to please me. And, being my first sort of DIY speaker project, I really don't want to go 3 way right now--I want to keep it simple. In a 2 way it will be easier to figure out if one of the components is lying to me. One more driver and it's going to get more complicated than I want it to be. I won't be measuring anything and making computer generated charts like you guys do, I didn't pay attention in math class. I'll be listening to the Beatles Mono Box Set. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The world is a strange place. My listening and measurements show quite a difference between the 2. And a good 804 driver will go high enough on the 811 not to need a tweeter. Tho a super tweeter would be fun. So you see - what can you do? ;)

But anyway. The QSC horn/waveguide thing will give you great sound for cheap, so why not? Slap on a Selenium or other new driver and you'll be rockin' in glorious mono! No need to over think it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.