What Would YOU Do With This Cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's been slow going. It's got two coats of paint, and I think I might as well add one more while I'm waiting for the other parts to show up. I failed at plastic wood, but I'm not striving for any sort of perfection, that would be complete folly, imperfect being that I am. The aesthetic goal is hybrid hi-fi/PA. Should it really be in the living room, or outdoors at a concert?

But at least you can see how it's going to look with the Waveguide sitting on top of it. I like it.

monolithLarge.jpg

Still at large is the JBL woofer. I bought it on ebay the same day I started this thread, July 4th. It's the 13th, am I just being impatient? No sign of it. The seller is probably pissed at how cheap I got it, but it's not my fault that no one bid on it because he wanted to make money on the shipping. If you don't want your JBL 2220 15" woofer to sell for $5.50, then don't charge $45.00 shipping for it.

Last edited:
I think the cabinet is looking darn good. It should party. Hey, what a good way to spread mono. :) (that's a joke)
You should prepare some small baffles to mount your various WGs. That way everything can be ready to go when the woofer arrives.

Dan

Last edited:
I think the cabinet is looking darn good. It should party. Hey, what a good way to spread mono. :) (that's a joke)
You should prepare some small baffles to mount your various WGs. That way everything can be ready to go when the woofer arrives.

Dan

It WILL party! But please, explain in detail how you envision small baffles for the WGs. Speak as though I were a small child. Do you mean full-on baffles or brackets with a supporting base like this photo:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you mean a baffle as in like an open baffle, or an full enclosure for the horn, do I need to worry about the baffle or enclosure affecting how the horn works? I know that horns are completely different from paper drivers, because no sound comes from the rear of the horn. But some people on this thread have said that mounting the WG might mess with how it projects.

I have much to learn, so I ask questions.

You're onto a good start. A liitle bracket like that is all ever did to mount mine, but I'd never call it optimal. I'd actually build a baffle and enclosure to match shape of the woofer horn. It should improve the horn performance a bit. I actually think it would be cool to cover the front in 24'' x 19'' x 0.39'' Foam Speaker Grill Material | MDM-8602 (MDM8602) | Distributed By MCM for a sleek/stealthy look. Maybe use the left overs inside the horn and see if they don't clear it up a bit. That said, just having the mount will let you know if you like it. A lot of people have been damping the outside lenses with plumber's putty and liking the results. Autobody filler may work to smooth transition zones.

Hopefull this message is coherent--Doc got me on some serious sedation/truth serum. ha ha

Dan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
YO, Pano!
As one of the judges, did Ed's EconoWave Delites stand up well at Dayton?

Sadly, Ed's speaker did not win or place. But I loved it. One of my favorites, for sure. That QSC waveguide and B&C driver combo is very good. I gave him high marks and talked his ear off about it. His woodwork is a beauty to behold, too.

Wilberforce, looking good! You got the JBL for $5? You horse thief!! I think it's been long enough. If the guy can't give you a tracking # today, you need to start a claim with eBay. You've waited long enough.

Also agree that you may want to build a front baffle with the woofer higher up. But you've got plenty to do, still.

Try it sitting on top to see if you like the sound.

If so, I'd make a new baffle for the cab mounting both the woofer and waveguide together near the top.... :yes:

You mean like this?

monolithLarge2.jpg

I kind of like it, plus it frees up the top of the cabinet to possibly put some components on.

I did this mock-up real quick in Photoshop. Makes me wish Adobe made a program called "Adobe Woodshop" that would spit out a wooden version of what I draw.

Wilberforce, looking good! You got the JBL for $5? You horse thief!! ...

Also agree that you may want to build a front baffle with the woofer higher up. But you've got plenty to do, still.

Actually, it was $5.50. Well, in reality it was $50.50, because he set the shipping at a fixed $45, which is why no one was bidding on it. My max bid was higher than what I got it for, but no one else joined the party. If it doesn't arrive today, I'll have to start a beef with eBay, because this guy hasn't responded to my email of 3 or 4 days ago asking for a tracking number.

Yes, I still have plenty to do. The crossover parts are in transit, and it remains to be seen if I am skilled enough to assemble it. I'll be studying Zilch's video...

Well, the JBL woofer showed up today, so I don't have to beef with eBay. It works great, puts out a lot of volume. I went to mount it on the baffle, but realized that I have no hardware for it in the house, and it's 114 degrees outside, so I'll hit the hardware store in the morning.

one step closer...

I'm confused again. It seems that Jensen specified that the speaker be in the center of the cab. And although I know that the waveguide isn't going to throw any sound behind it, isn't just the space it takes up in front of the horn going to change the volume of air in the horn? take a look at this drawing:

Jensen_TB-3c.png

and the entire technical bulletin for this cab is here:
Jensen Technical Bulletin No. 3

Does the 2220 take up more or less space than whatever Jensen was originally used? Does that matter?

The front-mounted waveguide/driver will not consume much volume behind the baffle, and no, it does not matter if the woofer is moved off center; the performance may actually benefit from that, in fact....

Last edited:
Does the 2220 take up more or less space than whatever Jensen was originally used? Does that matter?

The front-mounted waveguide/driver will not consume much volume behind the baffle, and no, it does not matter if the woofer is moved off center; the performance may actually benefit from that, in fact....

Actually, the 2220 is probably shallower than those huge Jensen coax speakers. I just ask these questions because I don't know.

Here's another dumb question: If the Waveguide is mounted into the baffle with the woofer, it will be below ear height at the listening position. Will that affect the performance?

I like the way it would look in the baffle, but if it will sound better a bit higher, on top of the cab, then it should sit there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.