SU551-DXT --2-way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Swak,

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I recently finished a high sensitivity (91,5db) D’Appolito design that I use with my Prima Luna tube amp, se pictures:

It uses the Fountek NeoCD3.5H ribbon tweeter and two OEM made SEAS woofers in a 28 liters PE enclosure. It´s tuned to 40Hz and the cross-over point is 2900Hz using LR 24db/oct acoustical cross-over slopes.

The sound is just incredible with a huge soundstage and depth with an open airy sound. The Fountek ribbon is fantastic when used properly within its comfort range. 2900Hz is as low as it can go without distortion becomes an issue. Luckily 2900Hz is about the upper limitation of the woofers as well, a close match. ;)

If there is any interest I might share more details on the build in a separate thread.

Right now I’m building a three-way, but in an active setup using my DEQX HDP-3. This speaker also uses a D’Appolito configuration with a Fountek ribbon together with a 12” woofer. The loudspeaker units I will use are:

• Fountek NeoCD3.0 ribbon tweeter.
• Vifa P13WH-00-08 midwoofer
• Peerless XXLS 12” (830952) woofer

/gornir

Attachments

• IMG_2458.JPG
    IMG_2458.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2459.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 406
Hi Gornir,

Please share the details of your new design. I really appreciate the level of detail that you provide. I just happen to have four older Seas 6.5-inch poly cones that need a project and your High-Efficiency project would provide me a great start.

Kind regards,
Eric

Hi Eric,

I will try to do that, but perhaps not in same detail as usual. I have to sort out my measurement etc. and then I will start a new thread on the design.

The old Seas units you have, is it the P17RCY (H0352)? It´s not the same driver I have been using, but they share the same chassis (17cm), cone and surround, but with a different dustcap, voice-coil and motor etc.

I think I will call the new design "PX652-FR".

Regards

/Goran

Hi gornir
Thank you for your work and for sharing with us.
I have one question, because off-axis looks a little bit optimistic: how do you measured? Do you rotate speaker, or the microphone? I ask you this, because in my current design, using Monacor dt300 and wg 300 (yes, waveguide), diffraction plays an importante role, if i measure corectly, rotating speakers. I have 230 x 400mm baffle, the centre of waveguide centered horiz, and 95mm from top, with 6mm radius.
Also, i like more resolution in holm, say 50db scale instead of 80 used in your graphs.

Last edited:
Hi ionutgaga,

I rotate the speaker on a special made turn-table jig. The microphone is always fixed in the same location when the speaker is rotated and measured.

Yes, I can do that. Personally I use both 50 and 80db scale, mostly without smoothing, while working with the design.

Don't know what you mean by optimistic, but these are real measurements using the above method (se pictures)

Picture1: TW-axis, 1m, 50db scale, no smoothing - Blue=0 degrees, Red=15 degrees, Green=22,5 degrees
Picture2: TW-axis, 1m, 50db scale, no smoothing - Blue=30 degrees, Red=45 degrees, Green=60 degrees

The off-axis response wouldn't bee as good if it wasn't for the DXT-lens in combination with the cross-over. The speaker is optimized for an listening angle between 15-30 degrees off-axis. It's a bit hot in the lower treble and higher mids in the 0 degree position, as can be seen in the picture.

/Goran

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 350
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 57
Hi Goran,

Yes, I have the P17RCY. As I said previously, your PX-652-FR design would provide me with a good start. Seeing the response curves for both drivers and the resulting crossover will help me with starting my version. I do not have measurements setup but have been successful just by modeling/listening/tweeking. My wife can tell the differences during tweeking and is helpful. She also has confirmed that my home made speakers are better that the factory speakers she has listened to.

Kind regards,
Eric

Hi Eric,

The P17RCY is also a nice driver. I have used it before for many years ago with great result, but unfortunately I don't have any of these drivers today to compare with.

I think you should invest in some measuring gear. It's not that expensive to get a kit to start with.

Here is a starter kit suggestion

The HolmImpulse software is extremely easy to use and give excellent results. I personally use the above soundcard together with HolmImpulse with great success. I use the Transit USB souncard for my mobile measurement gear (LapTop).

So for not so many dollars you get the ability to test measure your designs and even though your ears are the most valuable measuring gear there is, you get so much more opportunities... ;)

Regards

/Goran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.