Wow! horn philosophy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was recently researching different types of horns and horn flares such as Tractrix vs. Conical vs. LeCleach. I wasn't aware there were such polarized viewpoints about the ideal horn structure. I came across some interesting posts:

(note: I'm not choosing sides or trying to offend anyone, also I don't know anything about the individuals involved. Just relating what I found)

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=65255.msg602292

Re: Who amongst us is into SET and/or Hi-Efficiency systems?
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 01:04:26 pm »

In reviewing the information on horns currently out on the various forums, boards, and the net generally, I've found that the people who are claiming to be world class experts in the field are actually French mineralogists who may never have built a horn themselves (LeCleach) , an academic who thinks all horn drivers sound the same and whose own horn product resembles a preschool art project (Geddes) and an assortment of folks who, like Joe the Plumber, are now authorities in the same vein as the movie Being There, or because they were willing to write a couple of thousand words reviewing what they thought was state of the art (Kolbrek, Bouska, etc.) I won't even mention Romy the Scat except to be perverse. And I enjoy being perverse...

and:

http://www.goodsoundclub.com/GetPost.aspx?PostID=3084

A sober view on Cogent True-to-Life Sound.

...The Cogent’s Steve and Rich are eaten by the same illness as many other horn people – something that I call “horn avarice”. Even if one has no ears and can not hear a horn geting chocked with sound then a reference to Harry Olson “Elements…” should help them. In paragraph 7.3 Mr. Olson describes the “Distortions Due to Air overload in the Horn”. In reality 99% of the horns out there pretty much “greed-dead” due to the horn’s overload. How many of you heard about the infamies “horn sound”? How many of you know that lifting a crossover point slightly up in most of the cases (there are exceptions thought) resolves the problem? Invigorating? Nope, just plain stupid – why people go for the last 1/3-1/2 octave of a given horn bass extension of it kills the sound of the ENTIRE INSTALLATION? I never was able to figure out an answer to this question but I am sure many of you know how congested and hard, not to mention “honky” horn might be. Now you know the answer why….

The 2nd article goes on for awhile ripping the Cogent horns up one side and down the other. Wow! I must be missing a lot of details about this feud, I hope it's more good natured than it sounds. I wasn't aware that people had such extreme views about horns. I assumed all horn types were just compromises of different types.

What types of horns do you feel are the least colored (by the horn structure itself)?

Words spoken with dedication dont indicate superior knowledge, even if superior knowledge can lead to words spoken with dedication. You either have the choice to spend years in analyzing, building, measuring, listening or to belief one of the people who seem to know it. My choice would be Geddes, as he constantly has the best arguments.

Horns have their flaws.............

Many fall into the "bad" category.

I believe any parallel walls cause standing waves.
and anywhere that there is a hard break, that can cause a standing wave. And there are impedance peaks (possible standing waves) at the distance from driver to mouth, and both dimensions of the mouth.

I've had ev hp640, ev hp940, klipsch 400 something, ev hr90, and a bowtie from mcm ( 54-330 http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/54-330 ).

A hard sounding horn has glare (usually standing waves 1-5khz).

My current fav is that mcm horn.

Compression drivers usually sound forced due to the typical 10:1 compression ratio.................

You get dynamics and transients that sound real, wood blocks have impact when horn loaded.

But most horns are about getting the most out of a compression driver needed for high spl in a pa system.

I've wanted to try the mcm round horn.
It has a wonderful off axis response and I bet sounds good, but would require a 2khz crossover and a thread on driver.

here is zaph's tmm (round waveguide plus dome)
http://www.zaphaudio.com/WaveguideTMM.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=139921&pagenumber=3
the dome doesn't have a strong enough q to get horn loading the highs.

Also round spherical horns should be the cleanest.
http://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/hornlautsprecher.php?lang=en

and I'd like to hear these
http://www.stereo-lab.de/tractrix.html

norman bates said:
Horns have their flaws.............

Compression drivers usually sound forced due to the typical 10:1 compression ratio.................
if the horn throat is half the diameter of the diaphragm then the compression ratio is 4:1
But, I'm told that the diaphragm:throat diameter ratios are more towards 1.7:1 giving ~ 3:1 compression ratio.

A 10:1 compression ratio would require a diaphragm of >6inches diameter for a 2inch throated horn. Give me an example.

Re: Wow! horn of solpy...

JoshuaTechnomage said:

A sober view on Cogent True-to-Life Sound.

Not a 'sober view'.

steve schell tunes pianos, for a living.

to imply that he cannot hear, is inept.

which may be why "romy the cat' no longer posts here -

another forum members view of romy -

Why am I not surprised.
He apparently lives in some mental alternate reality where only he understands our physical reality,
so I just ignore him.
A pity really, the few HE forum posts of his I've read indicated he has a pretty good understanding of audio design theory,
but I'm not interested enough to wade through his expletive laced personal attack format responses in the hope of maybe learning something.

Attachments

2 KB · Views: 867
phase plug maybe ?

"A horn-loaded compression driver or a loudspeaker has a phasing plug with multiple slots and a common annular chamber. The slots extend from an inlet side to the common annular chamber, which extends to an outlet side. Each slot has a path length extending to a common focal point in the common annular chamber. The common focal point has a common path length extending to the outlet side. The phasing plug provides an approximately flat acoustic wave front from the compression driver to the horn. "

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7039211.html

community m200, 2.2" diaphram, 2" exit.
compression ratio 1.84:1
http://www.communitypro.com/files/literature/spec sheets/M200_SPEC.pdf

Norman

AndrewT said:

Give me an example.

Altec 1" exit drivers have a short WG terminating into a 5/8" throat with a ~2" diameter diaphragm = ~10.24:1 CR. Their replacements didn't have the WG, being more like the original Bell Labs/WE drivers, so are only ~4:1 CR which means they won't properly load old style 500 Hz horns if a 500 Hz XO is used. The trade-off is a more extended HF due to less acoustic damping and less horn throat 'honk' due to the higher XO point required.

GM

gainphile said:
:D things are more peaceful in OB wold then :D :D we are all agree that box speakers sounds terrible and any disagreements are quickly settled by referring links to linkwitzlab :smash:

Lol, yes. I do see some similarities between OB and horns in their differing methods of reducing room interaction. I would love to hear the incredible dynamics of a good horn which tempts me to try to design a 2-3 way with dual OB 12" Lambda woofers and a horn covering somewhere around 350hz-500hz on up to a tweeter around 7khz.

Maybe mounting a Fostex tweeter with 4 thin fins holding it in the center of the horn even with the widest part of the flair which would also be mounted evenly with the woofers and a delay network for time alignment?

I tried to want to get into horns, but it's just always seemed like their disadvantages far outweigh the advantages in most cases. For instance, their steep roll offs often make even a 2nd order slope difficult/impossible.. usually 4th or even 8th order is required, which sounds absolutely disgusting to me. So, after reading and reading about them and trying to get into it, I guess maybe it's just not for me. :(

I like 24db LR active crossovers because I like time alignment (except 1/2 ocatve +/- crossover point) !!!!!!!!!!

Now finding a wonderfull sounding active crossover, that's hard to find (unless you modify). I've read the active marchands are nice.

Those opamps lose some of the magic / transparancy in music.
But you can put top of the line ones in...............

And the passive 24db crossovers need mucho drive.

But again, we are playing off the active crossovers weaknesses for their strengths of dynamics and /or extreme volume levels............

I also believe that a horn should only cover a decade (i.e. 500-5khz). Distortion goes nuts in the high end. See this pdf from jbl.
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/tn_v1n21.pdf

Then again, way up high on compression drivers, those highs past 5khz or so are all breakup modes. Some ring like a bell (titanium and aluminum) while others tweak the phase plug resonances and driver resonances to make it seem like the highs are fairly flat and there.

I like horns but I havn't found many I can live with.............
Most I've heard have resonances.
One I heard I said "is that a backup singer or a huge bunch of reverb ?" It was the horn echos..............

When used for P.A., it is not as much of an issue compared to playback in our homes.

I try to leave horns behind.
But sooner or later I lust for more impact and dynamics that my dual stacked 4" bamboo drivers can't give me (run with dual 15's under them).

A good clean mid horn (think 1' tall by 2' tall mouth) makes wood blocks have impact. Cymbals have clang. More of a velocity thing versus a pressure thing. Things sounded more real and fun.

Norman

BHTX said:
I tried to want to get into horns, but it's just always seemed like their disadvantages far outweigh the advantages in most cases. For instance, their steep roll offs often make even a 2nd order slope difficult/impossible.. usually 4th or even 8th order is required, which sounds absolutely disgusting to me. So, after reading and reading about them and trying to get into it, I guess maybe it's just not for me. :(

Try a larger backchamber. If you choose the right size you can make a much better transition from horn to frontloaded.

norman bates said:

Most I've heard have resonances.

<snip>

A good clean mid horn (think 1' tall by 2' tall mouth) makes wood blocks have impact. Cymbals have clang. More of a velocity thing versus a pressure thing. Things sounded more real and fun.

Norman

Ehh, resonances will rob the music of "impact" and "clang" making it all flat and dull...

What you are talking about is most likely anomalies in the frequency response.
-And personally i love the combination of titanium and silicone. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.