My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since I don't have a pair of RD-75s, nor an open baffle array of multiple cone woofers, I can't do this experiment–but if I did, I would.

I'd hook an unmounted RD-75 up to a microphone preamplifier and record its output while it was functioning as a microphone, which I'm sure it would do quite well. Then I would play music (especially with some bass content) through the woofer array at medium-loud levels while I moved the RD-75 from a position close to but not touching the bass panel (and in the null zone) to touching the edge of the bass panel, listening to the results with appropriate headphones* or recording the results in some way. Through the process, if recording, describe verbally the position of the ribbon in relation to the bass panel. As I mentioned in an earlier post a couple of pages back, this would be to satisfy my curiosity as to the source of these resonances–i.e., are they self generated, or are they in response to acoustic excitation from the LF drivers.

*I would use my Etymotic Research ER4s (in ear monitors) with shooters' hearing protectors over them. this gives about 60dB of attenuation of ambient sound.

Resonance

I've never heard the B&G RD75, but the last long ribbon I did hear (in the Carver Amazing loudspeakers) had exactly this problem. The resonances were all-too-obvious with piano and then, once identified, could be heard on lots of other material. I guessed the problem was ineffective damping of the ribbon, coupled perhaps with trying to make it perform down to frequencies it was not really capable of. The resonances I was hearing were at frequencies between 400 and 3,000 Hz at a guess–right in the middle of the important stuff!

The resonance is so obvious and certainly affect all played music. I am not happy with the B&G units and their quality at the moment. I am not even sure that they perform any measurements or quality control of the units before shipment as no QA document is coming with the units. We who buy these units have spent years of eveluating speakers and different brands, types of speakers etc. to reach what we are looking for , music nirvana. I hoped that BG should put me there. Now it is up BG to handle this issue in a proffesional manner. I really hope that I will end up with two fantastic units that bring audio nirvana to my living room. If so, I will definately inform of that event.

Now it is up BG to handle this issue in a proffesional manner. I really hope that I will end up with two fantastic units that bring audio nirvana to my living room. If so, I will definately inform of that event.

If one try to orient one self around the different web sites this company has + the way they do business it looks more like a business lawyer company than a passionate hi-fi company. The way it looks to me the original designer are either overrun by investors or has never joined the boat. Looking forward to hear your result.

One month and still not confirmed any replacement

Still not received any confirmation that BG will replace the faulty unit(s) after a month today.

Informed by BG that they investigate the shipment cost, and been so for a month now. If these cost low enough I will receive a new unit if not I am not sure what will happen ??

Strange.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I have no idea of what the Genesis 1.2 XO frequency might be, but I hope somewhere around 3-4 kHz, or no higher.

It's an interesting system which I have never heard, but I assume that is sadly not suitable for near-field listening because of all the tweeters and their interference pattern, and the very wide baffle will require a long listening distance for the RD-75.

I've worked a lot on different baffle shapes and widths for the RD-75, and have found that there are really only two ways to do it - no baffle like I did myself, or a very wide baffle like the Genesis 1.2. Something in between will not work well. The bass is also monopole, while the midrange is dipole, which will create integration problems between the wide baffle and the woofer towers.

Oh, and here's the 1.2 :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Baffle width another approach

Hi Stig Erik
Take a look at the Gryphon speaker Pendragon

Gryphon Pendragon

which use a slotted baffle of 0,5m, and 4pcs AMT tweeters crossover at 18kHz.

Interesting approach. Their "RD75" seams not to be BG as looks different.

I use at the moment a 10cm one side baffle just for testing but it help to get a smoother frequency response. May test a 15cm slotted on both sides and AMT tweeters

I have read that the greatest advantages of dipolar radiation patterns are in the bass region, yet convenience seems to win and as a result most bass systems are monopolar, even when the midrange is open baffle or dipolar.

I can't help but notice that the most significant raves regarding quality of bass reproduction seem to be for dipolar woofers, large bass horns and distributed subwoofer systems of the type used by Dr. Earl Geddes, yet I have not had the luxury of hearing any of these types.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.