My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
B&G says that the RD-75 is made in America. Or maybe its just the sticker that's made there....

Attachments

• rd-75-label.jpg
    rd-75-label.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 923
StigErik, I red all this topic in the last few days and it was very interesting.

Did you noticed any loss of weight and natural reproduction of vocals or vocal fullness when you changed your cone drivers to RD-75? I have found larger drivers (7-8") to be the best for natural vocal reproduction. What are your experience in using larger vs smaller drivers and vocal fullness in each situation?

Btw, have you ever tried cardioid loudspeakers? That could be very useful if you don't need the rear radiation of dipoles. I will try something that MBK did here + use damped U-frame instead of H-frame. DIY-dipole-1 What do you think about this idea?

Do they share horn systems powerful and vivid mids? I saw some youtube videos and they seemed thin in the midrange. Wonderful treble, but there seemed not to be any strength in the mids. Could this be true?

Planar speaker the way we use it without cabinet give a totally different experiences than horns can do. I will describe the planar more trying to disappear in in front of you setting air in motion much like an acoustic instrument will do. While horns system are tuned to engage the listener like any instrument are tuned to give out pleasant sound.

I think both system are valid but they work very different. When a guitar string is plucked the planner will simulate the string vibrating in the room. While the horn will simulate the pressured sound coming out of the the sound hole of the guitar. Although this isn't completely accurate the description should get your mind boggling.

Compressed yt vids recorded with microphone aren't able to justify any hi-fi system regardless of design.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
StigErik, I red all this topic in the last few days and it was very interesting.

Did you noticed any loss of weight and natural reproduction of vocals or vocal fullness when you changed your cone drivers to RD-75? I have found larger drivers (7-8") to be the best for natural vocal reproduction. What are your experience in using larger vs smaller drivers and vocal fullness in each situation?

Btw, have you ever tried cardioid loudspeakers? That could be very useful if you don't need the rear radiation of dipoles. I will try something that MBK did here + use damped U-frame instead of H-frame. DIY-dipole-1 What do you think about this idea?

When I switched from cone mids to the RD-75 planar I "lost" some midrange weight ... or coloration if you will. The whole midrange, but especially the lower midrange sounds a lot cleaner and natural from the RD-75 than any cone drivers I've tested.

I never tried cardoids.

Sounds interesting. I have never tried planars that low, but I have compared high efficiency 8" mids with other smaller and lesser efficient drivers. The smaller ones lacked dynamics and sounded thin compared to 8" drivers while 8inchers sounded much cleaner and open in lower midrange. I don't talk about coloration, it's dynamic range what I am talking about.

Planar speaker the way we use it without cabinet give a totally different experiences than horns can do. I will describe the planar more trying to disappear in in front of you setting air in motion much like an acoustic instrument will do. While horns system are tuned to engage the listener like any instrument are tuned to give out pleasant sound.

I think both system are valid but they work very different. When a guitar string is plucked the planner will simulate the string vibrating in the room. While the horn will simulate the pressured sound coming out of the the sound hole of the guitar. Although this isn't completely accurate the description should get your mind boggling.

Compressed yt vids recorded with microphone aren't able to justify any hi-fi system regardless of design.

Good to hear from someone who has heard both kinds of systems. I can confirm that at least half of your description is accurate. The whole room sound like the insides of a guitar. :p

I have experimented with the TPL-150 in open baffle, and it was not very useful below 2000Hz, so I can just imagine the frequencies below with open baffle planars and AMT speakers.

Here is a picture of my somewhat impotent 4-way horn system - I am missing three pair of horns still.

Attachments

• 1403249_10151671736406198_1562351583_o.jpg
    1403249_10151671736406198_1562351583_o.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
BG Notch filter recommendation

Hi
Enclosed please find the notch filter recommednation from BG.

There is a new and old version. The values in the diagram correspond to

Gain -8dB
Frequency appr. 5100hz
Q-value = I am not sure here but 1,6 maybe
(any other suggestion what the bell correspond to in the diagram ?)

From a short listening experience these seams more appropriate than StigEriks values. Note, however, no baffle is used at the moment.

T

BR
Lars

Attachments

• old vs new notch filter (2).pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 95
  • RD notchfilters.pdf
    19.6 KB · Views: 110
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.