Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns

That is a really funny one......
Mr. " i know it always better " strains out a gnat, but swallows a camel!! he cares about some more inches of increased diameter at lower midrange and midrange channel, as being a HUGE integration problem, but places his midbass horn on the roof, meters away, completely disassociated from from the main horn channels, and feels perfectly fine with that. :rolleyes:

I was wondering about this today. Why Romy put the upper midrange so far away. It must be to keep everything coming from a straight line. Yet some of the drivers are off-centered anyway. I am in love with the looks of the Trio Classico so I will probably not care too much about keeping everything centered.
Why do you guys hate each other so much? I think you both are the closest to achieve audio Nirvana than anyone else here.

Why do you guys hate each other so much? I think you both are the closest to achieve audio Nirvana than anyone else here.

My audio nirwana is at the moment Beyma12p80nd with Beyma TPL-150 as core of my system. And a bass line array for sub duty. I hope the smart guy from Boston keeps his setup as it is, and continues to " suspect " about TPL-150. So i can keep smiling about his system :)

You grew tired of the big setup I saw on youtube? Those two drivers seem to be a compromise. A true ribbon would probably be better above about 10-13kHz to 20kHz. And that bass driver seem popular but can it be good at all bass and mid frequencies? I thought this was your "kitchen radio" system, meaning something smaller and simpler.

Edit: Answered without reading the complete message. Good, at least you have subs. Maybe 15+kHz becomes less important as one grows older. :p

Edit2: But really? A 12 inch replacing a 7.5 inch fane 8m? I must hear it to believe it. My vintage Fane 8m sounds so sweet.

Last edited:
I dont miss any treble output. What pleases me more with the Beyma 12", is the wider dispersion, but also the incredible speed, control and transients, naturalness and timbre, and better integration ( dispersion matching ) with the Beyma amt. And this, without even having made all adjustments and fine tuning of crossover and placement. Beside this, the two speakers can be placed much closer together, which permits better integration, almost getting a point source. My big horns are really only still in my living room, because i like the design, they are a part of decoration. And , because i still want to experiment
Line Magnetic 555 in the lower midrange horn. I had some delay , but soon i will be able to report what i think of it. The upper LeCleach horn has almost no function anymore.

Last edited:
Hello,

As most of you know Lynn Olson is about to complete his new loudspeakers which are today known as LTO.

The medium of the LTO is based on an axisymetrical Le Cléac'h horn built by Martin Seddon in Australia and known as AH425 horn.

It is interesting to read what Lynn wrote about the imaging, dynamics, etc of that new set-up and particularly what he said about the horn.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100392-beyond-ariel-858.html#post3452450

Also interesting is what Lynn is saying about the new trend on "directivity" control in message :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100392-beyond-ariel-861.html#post3466077

Directivity control appears to be some hype thing. I share totally this opinion.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

EJMLC 600

Just a quick message to tell you I received a pair of EJMLC 600 horns from Autotech in Poland this morning. The quality is amazing. They really did an outstanding piece of work and both horns are by themselves nice objects to look at. Even my wife said they will be nice in the living room. A big thanks also obviously to Jean Michel for the design.
Just need to build the box for my Supravox 286 GMF and design the filter to enjoy those piece of art. For the ones who would like to know they will be used for the time being with BMS 4550.

Attachments

• ejmlc3.jpg
    ejmlc3.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 727
  • ejmlc2.jpg
    ejmlc2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 711
Hello,

Also interesting is what Lynn is saying about the new trend on "directivity" control in message :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100392-beyond-ariel-861.html#post3466077

Directivity control appears to be some hype thing. I share totally this opinion.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h
I put directivity in a lower priority for now, at some point and some cost factor, it can become important. But for most systems, other performance factors need to be improved significantly first. Well controlled directivity pattern, not necessarily constant, can help reduce high energy first reflections.

I put directivity in a lower priority for now, at some point and some cost factor, it can become important. But for most systems, other performance factors need to be improved significantly first. Well controlled directivity pattern, not necessarily constant, can help reduce high energy first reflections.

Yes, but enough.:confused:

It's a "normande" answer in France. Can you develop your idea please ?

Eric

For the speaker itself, here are my thoughts.
Augene - Hear the real thing!: Generating Criteria for Accurate Speakers in Listening Rooms I

On directivity, if it can be controlled within an angle such that the energy drops very quickly outside the angle, that means the first reflection from the near walls have much lower energy, and the reflections from far walls are delayed significantly as well as lower energy. The lower you can control the directivity the better. The reason I put this as a low priority is because if you do not improve the other aspects first, work on directivity will not always show an improvement, but rather just a shift in sound coloration.

I'm new to hornresp, and wishing to create a curve profile of Jean-Michel's horn for use with JBL 2446 CD. First of all, can hornresp spit out X/Y coordinates for plotting?

I don't want to simulate the horn/driver, I just want to create coordinates for the horn curve. Do I need the driver parameters for that?

It seems to my obtuse mind that I should just need to specify throat and mouth size and throat and mouth angle. Then that leaves length, which determines load and I guess has to do with the driver parameters. OK, so if I do need the driver parameter fields in hornresp to be populated before calculating the curve, how do I obtain the driver parameters when they are dependent on the horn with which the CD is used?

I measured my 2446J with woofertester but without a horn attached so I think those specs are useless, or am I wrong?

I have read about Jean-Michel's own spreadsheet. Is it easier to create the horn curve coordinates with this than with hornresp? Is it accurate as hornresp?

Any guidance is welcome and appreciated.
Thank you!!
Rich

Hi Rich,

First of all, can hornresp spit out X/Y coordinates for plotting?

Yes. See the "Export Horn Data" section in the Hornresp Help file for details.

I don't want to simulate the horn/driver, I just want to create coordinates for the horn curve. Do I need the driver parameters for that?

No - any values will do.

It seems to my obtuse mind that I should just need to specify throat and mouth size and throat and mouth angle.

The Horn Segment Wizard tool provides several different options for input parameters.

Kind regards,

David

Does anybody know the exact exit angle of JBL 2446? Searching diyaudio.com returns varying values, 4.67, 4.9, 5.0 degrees.

Is JBL 2446 CD one of those CDs which would benefit from changing the T coefficient from 0.8 in order to improve the LF impedance? I am using the 2007 spreadsheet with a 200Hz cutoff.

Thanks!
Rich

Does anybody know the exact exit angle of JBL 2446? Searching diyaudio.com returns varying values, 4.67, 4.9, 5.0 degrees.

Is JBL 2446 CD one of those CDs which would benefit from changing the T coefficient from 0.8 in order to improve the LF impedance? I am using the 2007 spreadsheet with a 200Hz cutoff.

Thanks!
Rich

2446 is the old design with 182 Hz long throat. You should probably look at 2447 which has much shorter throat and an exit of 1½ inch. There are later models as well but a bit more expensive.

If you still want the exit angle of 2446 you can use hornresp to find it. The throat is probably exponential, has 49 mm exit and its cutoff is 182 Hz.

Mårten