Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns

For those who wants play with ejmlc-300 and BMS 4590 here are the impulses 180 degrees with impedance (ARTA files, remove ".zip")

Attachments

• ejmlc300_4590_Mid.part01.rar.zip
    900 KB · Views: 161
  • ejmlc300_4590_Mid.part07.rar.zip
    225.5 KB · Views: 54
  • ejmlc300_4590_Mid.part06.rar.zip
    900 KB · Views: 50
  • ejmlc300_4590_Mid.part05.rar.zip
    900 KB · Views: 52
  • ejmlc300_4590_Mid.part04.rar.zip
  • ejmlc300_4590_Mid.part03.rar.zip
    900 KB · Views: 49
  • ejmlc300_4590_Mid.part02.rar.zip
    900 KB · Views: 56
And tweeter.

Attachments

• ejmlc300_4590_Tweeter.part07.rar.zip
    448.6 KB · Views: 56
  • ejmlc300_4590_Tweeter.part05.rar.zip
    900 KB · Views: 55
  • ejmlc300_4590_Tweeter.part04.rar.zip
    900 KB · Views: 55
  • ejmlc300_4590_Tweeter.part03.rar.zip
    900 KB · Views: 50
  • ejmlc300_4590_Tweeter.part02.rar.zip
  • ejmlc300_4590_Tweeter.part01.rar.zip
    900 KB · Views: 80
Here is my Universe in room response. Person who attends to live classic music concerts reported violins are different than heard on electrostats and live.

Attachments

• Rakieta_1.png
    Rakieta_1.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 702
Hi,

My système :

Bass B15EX + ONKEN 360
Mid bass IWATA 220 hz + PB950
Mid EJLMC 600 + TAD 2001
Treeble T925A

Crossover JLMC 18 dbs 300/2000 - 12000 en 6dbs passif (cap ) whitout crossover on the TAD. Evolution self 0,10 mh to 0,18 mh with DCR optimise in série with the TAD 2001.

Delay's had optimised on electronic or geometric aligment with ARTA and STEP sweep, GD, CSD,R..... mesurments.

Best regards.

Eric

Attachments

• EJLMC 600 + TAD 2001 G STEP R et H2 et H3.JPG
    EJLMC 600 + TAD 2001 G STEP R et H2 et H3.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 652
  • EJLMC 600 + TAD 2001 G STEP THP en % à 97 dbs.JPG
    EJLMC 600 + TAD 2001 G STEP THP en % à 97 dbs.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 637
  • EJLMC et T925A G 14,8 et 15,3 à 70 cm.JPG
    EJLMC et T925A G 14,8 et 15,3 à 70 cm.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 612
Hi everybody,

Just a quick feedback as last week I spent my afternoon at a friend house in Brittany (West of France).
I have not been there for the last 18 months and I was quite surprised when I entered his audio room to see those very nice horns. He told me he changed his system approximately one year ago to go along the "Horn road".

So a pair of Davis 40RCA and a pair a very nice JMLC-Iwata 600 splendidly handcrafted by Cartech.

Let me talk about the horn finish first. This is just perfect. Glossy finish, very thick wall. Nothing to complain about.

Let me talk about the sound. First I should say I always thought horn was not up to my taste. I heard a couple of VOT system or other big system but I was never impressed.

Last week I was just amazed by the sound. What strikes me most ? The amazing sound stage. This is huge, very wide, a sense of 3D I never had before. I should stop here as this sounds too audiophile for me. But what is the most important thing is I enjoyed every single second of the experience. Great moment ! Just for your info the crossover was apparently finetuned by JMLC himself as he is a close neighbour !

What next ? My speakers are on sale since this morning and I am going to go for a similar system but to a smaller scale to accomodate my 30 sqm audio room which is also my living room and the playground of 3 young kids.
So this will be one nice 96db Siare 31TE for the bass and a 1'' compression with Iwata 600 I plan to crossover around 1kHz. This should be not too big and if I get half of the sound I enjoyed last week it will be great.

A big thank you to JMLC and to jzagaja for the experience.

Last edited:
Hi,

Crossover JLMC 18 dbs 300/2000 - 12000 en 6dbs passif (cap ) whitout crossover on the TAD. Evolution self 0,10 mh to 0,18 mh with DCR optimise in série with the TAD 2001.

Delay's had optimised on electronic or geometric aligment with ARTA and STEP sweep, GD, CSD,R..... mesurments.

Best regards.

Eric

Thanks Eric,
Need to read up on Jean-Michel's crossover. A few questions.
1 - Is response D2 (in light blue) on your first attached plot, the TAD response?
2 - No protection cap on the TAD?
3 - Only a low pass on the TAD?

SMathews

D2 is the THD H2 of TAD and EJLMC 600 + SE 300 B LEGACY + Preamp diy at real 95 dbs SPL calibrated.
D3 is the THD H3 of the same;
And the green curve is the response at 95 dbs average of the same.

The second plot is the same think at the same level but the THD is in %. this level is exceptional and very low and with H2 dominante ( very good).

No protection cap on the tad.

Yes, just à crossover at 2300 hz ( with 18 dbs JLMC the cut off frequencies are shift.

Best regards.

Eric

Hi everybody,

Just a quick feedback as last week I spent my afternoon at a friend house in Brittany (West of France).

So a pair of Davis 40RCA and a pair a very nice JMLC-Iwata 600 splendidly handcrafted by Cartech.

Hello Cedus,

Thanks for the kind words about that listening at our common friend place in Brittany!

Just to say that the Autotech horn he is using in his auditorium is the Iwata 300 (not the Iwata 600 as you wrote).

The passive crossover I designed replaces the commercial crossover previously used. A large part of the excellence of the sound delivered by that system (3D imaging, precision, details...) is due to that new crossover that perfectly fit with the excellent Iwata horn (even if the compression driver is not the most expensive one).

I used to design that new (quasioptimal Le Cléac'h) crossover on the basis of my own measurement on the individual loudspeakers (response and impedance) using my own piece of software I wrote under Matlab and allow me to simulate the effect of every tiny change in the value of the component in the LP and HP crossovers and in the RLC impedance equalizers and response equalizers.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Last edited:
The second plot is the same think at the same level but the THD is in %. this level is exceptional and very low and with H2 dominante ( very good).

Best regards.

Eric

Eric,
Interesting. I have no prior information to base the THD readings, but I trust your judgement. One point that I cannot understand is, how you implemented Jean-Michel's crossover for the EJMLC600, when you also mentioned you did not use a crossover directly for the TAD. The only conclusion here, is that you are using an active crossover. Is this active crossover off the shelf or diy? Thanks.

SMathews

Hello Cedus,
The passive crossover I designed replaces the commercial crossover previously used. A large part of the excellence of the sound delivered by that system (3D imaging, precision, details...) is due to that new crossover that perfectly fit with the excellent Iwata horn (even if the compression driver is not the most expensive one).

I used to design that new (quasioptimal Le Cléac'h) crossover on the basis of my own measurement on the individual loudspeakers (response and impedance) using my own piece of software I wrote under Matlab and allow me to simulate the effect of every tiny change in the value of the component in the LP and HP crossovers and in the RLC impedance equalizers and response equalizers.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hi Jean-Michel
Is this design different from your crossover spreadsheet for minimum group delay 3rd order crossovers (http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/LeCleach1.zip)?
Thanks.

SMathews

Hello SMathews,

The crossover is based on a 3rd order quasioptimal JMLC crossover for sure but the impedance curve of both the compression driver (mounted on the horn) and the bass driver is equalized also there is few equalization in the high frequency for the Iwata 300 horn to be used without tweeter.

Here attached the schematics of the whole crossover.

Pay attention that this schematics can only be used with the loudspeakers and horn used by that friend.

Jean-Michel Le CLéac'h

Attachments

• filtre_René_Cariou_en.gif
    filtre_René_Cariou_en.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,060
Last edited:
Hello SMathews,

The crossover is based on a 3rd order quasioptimal JMLC crossover for sure but the impedance curve of both the compression driver (mounted on the horn) and the bass driver is equalized also there is few equalization in the high frequency for the Iwata 300 horn to be used without tweeter.

Here attached the schematics of the whole crossover.

Pay attention that this schematics can only be used with the loudspeakers and horn used by that friend.

Jean-Michel Le CLéac'h

Hi Jean-Michel,
Thanks. Appreciate your generosity. Reading up on your quasioptimal crossover.

SMathews

Hi SMATHEWS,

Yes, the crossover is a DCX2496 modified by a french electronic parts distributor.

The 550 mm of IWATA 220 hz depth can be manage only by a eletronic crossover ( delay).

Best regards.

Eric

Hi Eric,
Thank you. My current setup uses a full range speaker (Carfrae little big horn with AER MD2 driver). Wonderful at certain situations, and wanting for others. My plan is to supplement the mid/top with an EJMLC600 on a TAD2001. My initial thought was to use the AH425 (or another mid range horn), after reading up on Lynn Olson's "Beyond the Ariel" thread. I like the idea of wider coverage of the EJMLC. In any case, a lot of reading and experimenting ahead.
In regards to the active crossover, I have an old DEQX processor which does take into account group delay in its equalization. This is an area I need to better educate myself.
Thanks again.

Regards
SMathews

SMathews,

The delay in mm or in mms are very important for a best result.
IF your DEQX don't have correction of delay you must ajust the physique aligment of yours Hp's.
This step is very important for big sound.
The JLMC ( Jean-Michel) excel file give the good delay for hp's physique aligment = 0.
The "0" physique aligment is very hard to found and a ligment with ARTA impulse sweep with CSD calculation is the better issue.

Best regards.

Eric

SMathews,

The delay in mm or in mms are very important for a best result.
IF your DEQX don't have correction of delay you must ajust the physique aligment of yours Hp's.
This step is very important for big sound.
The JLMC ( Jean-Michel) excel file give the good delay for hp's physique aligment = 0.
The "0" physique aligment is very hard to found and a ligment with ARTA impulse sweep with CSD calculation is the better issue.

Best regards.

Eric

Hi Eric,
Thanks, I understand.
The DEQX can use Linear Phase or 3rd order filters. With Linear Phase, the group delay correction is done automatically by the DEQX. I do not have the knowledge to confirm, the DEQX equalization produces the same results as the JMLC corrected 3rd order. This is an area of study for me. Unfortunately the DEQX does allow me to enter a delay value. Note : I have not had the time to play with the DEQX to great length.
Also starting with a back loaded horn, I believe is far from the ideal starting point for implementing the lower frequencies. It is what I have. I am hoping I can mitigate some of its issues, to my satisfaction, by using the DEQX.
I have just acquired the Omnimic measuring system for measuring the response.

SMathews