Woofer recomendations for Vifa tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I would definately try the new underhung Tangband midwoofers

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w6-1721.htm

My guess is that the 6" will suit your box ...but guessing
But you will probably need to adjust port

Question is whether you should better go build a proven design, now you are investing money...hell, even throwing any design in a different box may work better than you may achieve on your own...sorry, just being honest :cannotbe:

Attachments

• w6-1721_3.jpg
    w6-1721_3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 251
critofur said:
You may as well get 10 of those capsules if you get one...

I got 4. The first mic turned out great.

tinitus said:
I would definately try the new underhung Tangband midwoofers

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w6-1721.htm

Then I suggest YOU do. I'm sure they are very fine for their price but, as I mentioned in the OP, I would like to keep in the $25.00/ea. range. I can go a bit more but at $80.00+ each, that's more than "a bit" :whazzat:

Originally posted by sreten
Your best choice by far is to repair the 8" drivers.
:)/sreten.

The problem with that (as mentioned before) is that 1 of them is fried and I have no clue as to which one. Even if I did know, that would still only leave 3 of the 4 originals. Which leads me back to the original question. An inexpensive ($25.00ish/ea.) woofer that will go to 2200hz (HK/Vifa tweeter xover point) and fit in a 1cu.ft. enclosure? If I wanted to do something else with out using that Vifa tweet, I would be asking different questions. Pretty much all the previously mentioned woofers (with the exception of the TB underhung motor) are what I can afford. Unless someone knows of something better and in the same price range, it comes down to which one is the better choice. I'm not looking sonic bliss. I know that isn't going to happen. Throwing $$ at this isn't an answer either.

I had virtually decided to go with the Vifa TP16WJ-06-08 6-1/2" Woofer from P.E. and was just waiting to see what another contributor came up with that was going to measure a set that he got. Now I see where P.E. has a buy out of Peerless 851123 CSX 6-1/2" Woofers. Just going simple by brand, I would think that the Peerless would be the better choice. They are only $2.00 more apiece. Has anyone worked with these Peerless woofers or a similar model to them? I'm kinda flying blind here as neither have response graphs on the P.E. page. Only T/S parameters. Both model almost identical in WinISD with the Peerless liking a smaller cab than the Vifa. P.E. list range up to 5000hz. Anyone know of any nasty humps in there?

I am bi-amping so the crossover will be just a matter of dialing in the knobs. I managed to free up one of the 2 amps I have (NAD 2100 & a Kenwood Basic M2a) by getting a 200w Hafler/Fosgate plate amp off of eBay for the sub (10" JL audio). I'm going to use the M2a on the woofers and the NAD on the tweets. I am also going to put a Alesis M-EQ 230 in the chain as well. I also built a couple of test mics using a Panasonic WM61 (?) capsule so I can run that into the puter and get a freq response graph.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.