Proac E.b.s. Mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I got a pair of such and old speakers and I would like to know if any thread is opened with info about them. The pair I got owns ScanSpeak D-2008 tweeters, ATC SM75-150 mids and ATC SB75-234 woofers. No mod has been done on them, so I think it's time to try something new and better.

Regards,
Jgtx.

Hi,

I also have a pair of ProAc EBS from around about 1988. Taking the ATC mids for repair at ATC tomorrow (good job its near my house!). Did you find any mods for your EBS? I was thinking of going active crossovers. Think my speakers my have been modded already as have a ProAc branded D2010 tweeter installed - looks like all the caps in the crossover were changed to SCR 5% 400v polyprops. Curious to know if the crossover should have been modified from changing the D2008 to D2010? These are great speakers - a poor mans ATC SCM 50.

Cheers,

Nathan

I also have a pair of ProAc EBS from around about 1988.

Mine's are from 1986!

Taking the ATC mids for repair at ATC tomorrow (good job its near my house!). Did you find any mods for your EBS? I was thinking of going active crossovers.

Going active is a good option, but I haven't tried it. A friend of mine have fully modified their E.B.S. (S.S. Revelator tweeters and completely new crossovers). The sound of the speakers is the SCM 50 way, but lacks of ProAc's mellow sound. I can ask him for the crossover's chosen.

Think my speakers my have been modded already as have a ProAc branded D2010 tweeter installed - looks like all the caps in the crossover were changed to SCR 5% 400v polyprops.

Both speakers are about to be the same: same graphics, same 0,75", same frecuency response. Whatever, mines are D2008, the original ones (they are also 6 milimeters smaller).

Curious to know if the crossover should have been modified from changing the D2008 to D2010? These are great speakers - a poor mans ATC SCM 50.

I think no modification should be made. They really look to be the same tweeters. Don't you think? Many people prefer the sound of the ProAc over the 50's one.

Regards,
Jgtx.

Hi Jgtx,

Thanks for the reply and advice. Some details of your friends active crossover would be really useful as I don't have the means to measure the freqency response.

Visit to ATC was interesting - went through one of the workshops to drop off the drivers - a real craftsman like place!

Do you intend to upgrade your EBS still or are you using the drivers in another project?

Cheers and many thanks,

Nathan

Thanks for the reply and advice. Some details of your friends active crossover would be really useful as I don't have the means to measure the freqency response.

My friend has just modified the original E.B.S. xover, but it keeps as a passive one.

Visit to ATC was interesting - went through one of the workshops to drop off the drivers - a real craftsman like place!

I need some ATC SM75-150 mid speakers for my project, so if you know they got a nice pair-price, please let me know :).

Do you intend to upgrade your EBS still or are you using the drivers in another project?

Well, my main speakers are the big totem-pole B&W leyend Matrix 800. I am thinking of upgrading tweeters and kevlar mid-drivers. I have bought some modified Morel Supreme 130 tweeters and the matching mid pair are the ATC's, but it's hard to find in 8 Ohms.

Regards,
Jgtx.

My friend has just modified the original E.B.S. xover, but it keeps as a passive one.

Just had the cost back for redoming the mid drivers = £250 - think I'll be leaving off the active upgrade for now :) Would love to know what the mods are so I could upgrade the tweeters. Bass drivers were described as a little bit dull but still good (another £200 to get those done - in the future)

I need some ATC SM75-150 mid speakers for my project, so if you know they got a nice pair-price, please let me know.
Will ask when I'm there - it may be possible to have them redome with an 8ohm voicecoil - or are there other differences?

Well, my main speakers are the big totem-pole B&W leyend Matrix 800. I am thinking of upgrading tweeters and kevlar mid-drivers. I have bought some modified Morel Supreme 130 tweeters and the matching mid pair are the ATC's, but it's hard to find in 8 Ohms.
Really like B&W - friend had a pair of old 801s but struggled to get suitable replacement Mids a while back - Will message you if I see any 8 ohms going!

Cheers,

Nathan

Jorgitox said:

Regards,
Jgtx.

Hi,

Just curious, are those 13kewlar mid not good?:xeye:
I think they are workable with a good x-over redesign.. :D
I remember I have listened the 800 and I was perplex by "voices",
it is possible the "tandem" geometry is the guilty.
One mid only is preferible IMO or helped by the second ( the lower)
with a different Fc and different slope ( as like a 2.5 way).

Cheers,
Paolo

Just curious, are those 13kewlar mid not good?
I think they are workable with a good x-over redesign..
I remember I have listened the 800 and I was perplex by "voices",
it is possible the "tandem" geometry is the guilty.
One mid only is preferible IMO or helped by the second ( the lower)
with a different Fc and different slope ( as like a 2.5 way).

Hi Inertial!

I will not modify the existent center box, but will manufacture another one to fit the new drivers. Speakers are amazing the way they are, but tweeter's location is a bit high from listening point. That's why I am considering to locate it a bit down, maybe down the ATC driver.

Yes, I have decided to fit one mid per speaker. I am also sure that changing the own crossovers the pack could improve, but I have started the thing and there's no way out :smash:. I will keep the center box without changes to compare results.

Best regards,
Jgtx.

Ah, understood your point! :)
So you can swap the entire center module....cool!:cool:

About the tw height, I think it was calculated for an optimal ear height
below the tweeter "line". Just a speculation.

More in general, the 800 was a attempt to produce 6dB more SPL with the same 801 quality. To be honest, they have pratically show that is not possible doubler the drivers and have the same quality, but the extra 6dB is guarantee !:D

P.S.: do you have a big room?:clown:

Cheers,
Paolo

nathwasere said:
Just had the cost back for redoming the mid drivers = £250 - think I'll be leaving off the active upgrade for now :) Would love to know what the mods are so I could upgrade the tweeters. Bass drivers were described as a little bit dull but still good (another £200 to get those done - in the future)

Will ask when I'm there - it may be possible to have them redome with an 8ohm voicecoil - or are there other differences?

What was the issue with the ATC mids that prompted the visit? Also are you saying that ATC said the woofers were "a bit dull"? In what way exactly?

BTW I've just found this thread having also some EBS1s! I bought them 2ndhand a few years back from a Naim dealer where they had been languishing in the store room. The guy that demmed them before I purchased had obviously forgotten how good they sounded, judging from the look on his face! ;)

Anyway my tweeter is the D2010 and the foam surround is starting to disintegrate. Not sure how that can be fixed or if it is even that necessary.

I haven't looked at the crossover yet. I guess the caps could do with a refresh. Proac are not too far away so I may take them there to be measured.

Hi mr br,

Went to ATc as on of the mids was cooked - buzzing at about 3k ish. Had them test all the ATC drivers - mesured on the bench for response etc. Other mid was v. weak as well. Had those both rebuilt for £250 inc. gave me new gaskets and connectors. I have to say these speakers never sounded this good in my possetion and I before never wanted speakers with a different mid but I'm amazed at the detail and power all over again. Insulation is weak on one of the bass drivers (coil going) and they are both down on output but will have to wait till next month (will be around £180 to do). Going do the crossover when I get the bass fixed up - polyprops are probably still ok (already replaced the alcap elecolytic) but may as well after spening £430ish on the drivers. The ProAc D2010 was replaced on mine just before I bought them - dunno if the foam does much - as long as the tweeter it self is still sweet. Think the ProAc D2010 is without ferrofluid (from what I've read on these boards) so the ScanSpeak D2010 might sound / mesure differently - they look identical. Would like to change the tweeters to a top spec scanspeak but I don't know where to start with the crossover mods?!?

Hi all!
Well, I’m going through a three-way project that’s almost done from the very start. The stuff I own for this purpose are the following:
Highs: Morel Supreme 130 (upgraded to sound more or less like Dyn Esotar T-330D v2)
Mids: ATC SM75-150S (16 ohms and in Super edition)
Lows: ATC SB-234(taken away from ProAc’s EBS monitors)
Cabinets: Original ProAc EBS ones (internally reinforced and weighing 7,5 extra kilograms each).
Passive crossover: upgraded parts from original EBS ones, but the thing is that the original ATC mids were 91dB’s and my units are 94dB’s. I think the changes with tweeters are not as tough as with the mids. What would you do if you were in my place?

Regards,
Jgtx.

Jorgitox,

I have a similar speaker to the EBS - the Studio 3. I also have a couple of ATC kits by Wilmslow Audio, so I know your drivers quite well. What happened to the standard versio of the SM75-150 which was originallyt in the EBS? Unles you plan on going active with the system I would think that you are better off withy the standard version because you will otherwise have too efficient a midwange for your woofer (unless you like lean bass)

If you are going active it is not an issue. But if you are going passive, and especially if you are using the EBS cabinets and crossovers, I would recommend swithing to the standard midrange. You will then be able to run the system at its flattest response.

-Marcel

I have a similar speaker to the EBS - the Studio 3. I also have a couple of ATC kits by Wilmslow Audio, so I know your drivers quite well. What happened to the standard versio of the SM75-150 which was originallyt in the EBS? Unles you plan on going active with the system I would think that you are better off withy the standard version because you will otherwise have too efficient a midwange for your woofer (unless you like lean bass)

Hi Marcel!
Well, I will reply in order. I bought only the E.B.S. cabinets, including original renewed ATC woofers and original crossovers, but without tweeters and mids I bought separately. Tweeters as I said were the Morel Supreme 130 and the mids, the 75-150S. And yes, the main concern is that the mid is far highly efficient compared to the other drivers. I bought this S version because of the amazing price and because I was not sure in a first moment if working active or passively. I love bass, so lean one for Merlin lovers ;)
If you are going active it is not an issue. But if you are going passive, and especially if you are using the EBS cabinets and crossovers, I would recommend swithing to the standard midrange. You will then be able to run the system at its flattest response.
The speakers rest as surround ones (I own a pair of B&W Matrix 800 and these girls are too much to let them go from their position) and I know that using these mids, going active is the step up to go ahead. In that case, which noise-free active crossover would you recommend? Behringer Ultradrive can be OK if switched via XLR? THANKS!!

Ps.: Original E.B.S. cabinets were treated internally with bitumen (all internal sides) and reinforced, so they weigh considerably more than original E.B.S. cabinets. Wood wide is more or less the same than ATC SCM 50 speakers, so I think cabinets are more than OK (ATC cabinets aren't anything out of this world).

OK Guys
Any perceived improvements after crossover updates on your Proac EBS ? Mine has standard 75V SCR caps . Since Proac is notorious for using Mylar caps in its Response line I'm not sure there is much sense in a change but I'll listen to sugestions. Also what amps do you use?

that are two version of a crossover upgrade for PROAC EBS made by me for two friends...

the results are very very good!

Attachments

• 20210110_192436 (1).jpg
    20210110_192436 (1).jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 83198852_10219219561232193_8239761772303613952_o (1).jpg
    83198852_10219219561232193_8239761772303613952_o (1).jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.