Crossover advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BTW, the driver locations on the baffle are with respect to their centers.

You can, of course, model your crossover. But trust me. It takes time to learn how to get every minute thing right. When I decide to help someone with a crossover design, I do it as if it were mine, not because I care for him but because I'm a perfectionist :) I'd use this crossover to build my own speakers with the same drivers in a box of that size.

Jantzen P-core is a ferrite core. You can use any iron or ferrite core for the 2.2 mH coil. Othrewise, you can use an air core of 15 AWG or heavier gauge. This will reduce the level of upper bass and lower midrange a bit, but won't make much audible difference.

Jay_WJ said:
B When I decide to help someone with a crossover design, I do it as if it were mine, not because I care for him but because I'm a perfectionist :) I'd use this crossover to build my own speakers with the same drivers in a box of that size.

I know , and I'm happy and grateful that you found the time to design one for me.

I'll post the speakers pictures when I finish them.

Oh, I should've made it clear. This is an acoustic LR4 design---asymmetric LR4 in order to compensate drivers' acoustic center offset. So both the midwoofer and tweeter should be connected in normal polarity. The "+" sign on each driver in the Speaker Workshop schematic indicates in-phase connection. For clarity, now I updated the schematic by adding "+" on the correct side of source and each driver.

Hi ,
one more question.

Would it be bad if the woofer is not flush mounted?

I found an article and read it.

I found out that I should't surface mount a 4" flange tweeter. Other choice of driver mounting is mostly influenced by looks and acoustic center issues.

Jay
will the crossover network have the same affect in both ways?

Flushing vs surface mounting the woofer will make a dfference of 4 mm (or 0.16 inch) in its acoustic center. This won't cause any significant effect on the crossover performance. In my crossover modeling, I assumed a 0.9 inch relative acoustic offset between tweeter and woofer, which results in a total 1.1 inch driver offset (difference in time of flight from two drivers to mic at 2 meter on tweeter axis).

A 0.16 inch difference in driver offest is essentially the same as one caused by you moving your ear level from tweeter to the middle of tweeter and woofer. This is insignificant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.