Crossover advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi , guys

I am building a 2-way loudspeaker.
I have two Peerles 831882
and two Seas 27TFFC

The box will be 8.6L BR.
Tuned to 57hz.

Can you give me a advice about the crossover network?
Could I use a crossover design from here
I found this project , and it uses almost the same driver.
The woofer is the same one , but the tweeter is the one without ferroflouid and it has a soft polymer surround , while mine has
sonolex surround.

Thanks for the advice.
Zaph pages ware the guideline in chousing the woofer , and the looks of the woofer had to do somethig with it.
It has low distortion , and a nice response.

I wanted only an advice where to cross , and what type of a crossover should I use.

Well , I know that 6db per octave wouldn"t work.
And I know about the woofers response it has a bump after 2kHz.

zega55 said:

And I know about the woofers response it has a bump after 2kHz.

That's the result of picking a driver with a pole piece, i.e. extended response inc. the cone breakup. Makes the crossover more difficult/complicated now. IMO concave cone shapes allows use of combined acoustical rolloff with the electrical response much simpler.

compare to http://www.tymphany.com/files/products/pdf/832873.pdf

lower Fs as well
I guess it's not as sexy looking tho.:D

zega55
I would suggest 2Khz.
I would also use a more aggressive slope than 12db/octave.
Since this is an untested design(?), I would be tempted to outboard the xover to allow for experimentation and evaluation.
One of the advantages of active crossovers is more aggressive filter rate 24 - 48db/octave which allows for a lower xover point and easy of experimentation.

zega55 said:

The woofer is the same one , but the tweeter is the one without ferroflouid and it has a soft polymer surround , while mine has
sonolex surround.

Hi,

That design appears to have no BSC and thus is not recommended.

I'd suggest you learn what you are doing to choose the c/o point,
the acoustic slopes of the crossover and the electrical components
required to reach your targets.

e.g. :

The crossover is an acoustic 4th order at 1950 Hz, and is nearly a symmetrical Linkwitz-Riley thanks to the woofer's shallow acoustic center. To reach the target slopes, 2nd order electrical plus an L-pad was used on the tweeter, and 3rd order electrical was used on the woofer. The tweeter has an impedance peak to deal with, but I was able to get enough damping out of the shunt resistor to not need an impedance flattening LRC circuit. The woofer has a breakup node but it was high enough to not require extra components in the crossover.

:)/sreten.

zega55 said:
Can you give me a advice about the crossover network?
sonolex surround.

Right, the crossover you linked in your post has nearly zero baffle step compensation.

I can model a crossover for you. What's your baffle size? What's your speaker placement?

-jAy

Thank's Jay
The baffle size 6.6in(width) by 13.3in(high).

The woofer is placed 0.3in from left and right edge and 1in from the bottom edge of the woofer.

The tweeter is placed to be 0.3in from the right edge on one speaker, and from the left on the other speaker.

I'm still playing with distance from tweeter and woofer.

The speakers will be placed in my room that is 4m by 3m , and about 15in from the wall.

zega55 said:
Thank's Jay
The baffle size 6.6in(width) by 13.3in(high).

The woofer is placed 0.3in from left and right edge and 1in from the bottom edge of the woofer.

The tweeter is placed to be 0.3in from the right edge on one speaker, and from the left on the other speaker.

I'm still playing with distance from tweeter and woofer.

The speakers will be placed in my room that is 4m by 3m , and about 15in from the wall.

I recommend rounding over baffle edges with at least 1/2" roundover bit. In that case, you'll need at least 7" baffle width. Did you already build the cabinets?

Speakers will be placed on dedicated speaker stands, won't they?

Since the vast majority of DIY speakers are basically rectilinear, adding a baffle step compensation is a requisite, to overcome the inherent problems with a box. (IMHO)

In the 80's I purchased a pair of Focal Eggs; This effectively ended my days of 6 sided boxes.
I had been aware of Olson's work on the intrinsic response characteristics of the various geometric shapes, and had seen the work of Linkwitz and others to implement compensation on a flat 2 dimensional baffle. This seems at best a compromise since the baffle is not circular with the woofer centered, and in view of the wavelengths involved, simple baffle round over was only marginally effective
Hearing the differences of a non-rectilinear cab was ultimately what did it for me.

augerpro said:
That box is too small with too high of an Fb. These Peerless drivers don't have very good bass extension anyway, but try to bump that up a couple liters and drop tuning to 50hz or so. 57hz is just getting so high that you don't have much protection for the woofer.

The box was modeled in unibox and the port tunning.
It is now tunned to 50hz , but I will play with that so that I like the sound.

You think that the box is to small?
Why?

Ivan,

Don't bother to build them again if you already did. Edge roundover is beneficial only to the tweeter response. So, you can make only top and side edges (only the portion above the point where the woofer touches the side edges) round. Or in case you round over the enitire side portion, the woofer's frame sticking out a tiny bit on sides won't cause any problem functionally or aesthetically.

And as for the internal volume, augerpro's advice is good. But since you already have the boxes built, don't bother, either. According to my unibox sim (using Zaph's measured T/S params), 8.6 liters is not bad. 50 Hz Fb seems right, too.

I'll model a crossover and get back to you. You haven't cut out driver holes, have you? If not, I'll decide on their positions and use them in the modeling.

Ivan,

Here's my modeling result. This is from full modeling, including box, port, and baffle step loss/diffraction effects. I expect that these predicted responses will be very close to reality so you will only need to tweak the tweeter padding resistance to find a value that suits your taste.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 27TFFC's impedance is identical to the 27TDFC's, and its FR is also very close to the 27TDFC's except that it's 1 dB more sensitive. So, I used my 27TDFC files by scaling its FR for convenience. The 27TFFC has the same, excellent motor as the 27TDFC. This means it should have no problem being crossed at 1.6 kHz with a LR4 filter for a moderate SPL goal. But for extra headroom and peace of mind, I crossed it at 1.85 kHz LR4 in this design.

Driver positions on your 6.6"x13.3" baffle I used for modeling are as follows. The tweeter is 3 inch away from baffle top with a horizontal offset of 0.75 inch. The midwoofer is located 8.25 inch away from the baffle top.

This crossover has about 4.5 to 5 dB baffle step compensation, which should be about right for your speaker placement.

I could use a simpler crossover topology, but this time I chose a no-compromise approach because I found a few more components made the driver phase aligned better and the system frequency response more linear. This crossover won't cost much to build, though.

Everything you need to know to build the crossover is in the schematic. If Jantzen coils are available, I recommend using the P-core for the primary coil (2.2 mH) in the woofer net to meet the low DCR I used in modeling.

As for the port tuning, 50 to 55 Hz Fb will be suitable. I used 55 Hz in the above modeling.

Let me know if you have questions.

-jAy

Thanks Jay.

It will be hard to get coils with low R , could I use ferite core coils for the woofer.
Can I use audyn MKP caps for tweeter , and MKT for woofer?

I'm modeling passive crossover design calculator 6.2 right now.
I found that it is quite usefull.
I found the FRD i ZMA files for my drivers and I'm kind of playing with the PSC 6.2 to learn how to inplement drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.