High-end 3 way dáppolito with aluminiumcone - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2009, 09:12 PM   #121
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J.R.Freeman
Beautiful work, Helmuth! They look terrific! Very professional looking - like something you'd find in a studio. How do you find the sound? Something about those woofers makes me think they'd sound nice and tight, though I know you can't tell much from looks.

JF
Freeman is a common name in the part of the Netherlands I live. So do you know your roods?

The speaker sound is very tight over the whole frequency range.

The bass is also very impulsive and it is really cool to see it move very fast with that big radiating area. It reminds me a bit on my backloaded horn that was the last I aspected from a bass reflex.
High quality low distortion sound like fast bass.

The midrange is bright but sound warmer then my Visaton TI100 full titanium cone. This ones have a sandwich titanium polypropylene cones and cost a ridicules 15 euro! And I spend the money on fancy XO stuff.

The tweeter sound nice detailed and looks good and expensive to with the aluminium horn.

Regards Helmuth
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:22 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Nice work there Helmuth, they look excellent.
Thanks Bred, I made them for my colleague because I have many idea's.
I want to try them and this is a way to experiment on some one else's cost.

I invested 80 hours of my free time he takes a very small risk and gets a set of high-end speakers for budget price with 160uF MKP clarity cap in each speaker and flatwire coils Janzenaudio, low R coil of ERSE.

Regards
Old 25th March 2009, 11:24 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Another angle.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:10 AM   #124
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I admit that when I saw your first moves I couldnt imagine that it would turn out this nice
Good work Helmuth, it looks real nice

But Im really more interested in whether your very simple XO works like intended
Old 26th March 2009, 10:43 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
I admit that when I saw your first moves I couldnt imagine that it would turn out this nice
Good work Helmuth, it looks real nice

But Im really more interested in whether your very simple XO works like intended
Thanks Tinitus,

Depending on pure listening it sound OK. I want to measure but I have to prepare a reading about audio on a school.
And have today finished a bookshelf speaker that I want use at the reading 20L and -3db 35Hz (simulation) -10dB 30Hz

When I have that ready I will do a set-up for measuring in the garden. Till then I will be playing around with stuffing.

Helmuth
Old 27th March 2009, 03:25 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Hi Helmuth,

That's interesting - I must admit I don't know much about my family tree except that we have some Irish and some English. To say that I have roots in the Netherlands sounds a lot more interesting than just being Canadian . I shall look into it.

Thank you for the description of the sound, I bet they play very well. Those mid-range drivers are very nice indeed. Titanium and polypropylene together? Very neat. I love polypropylene cones, ever since I first started playing around with speakers in the early 90's. I know they have their draw backs (as does anything) but they sure lend to a smooth response. Adding the rigidity of titanium is an interesting idea.

Anyway, well done again! Very inspirational build!

JF

Quote:
Originally posted by Helmuth

Freeman is a common name in the part of the Netherlands I live. So do you know your roods?

The speaker sound is very tight over the whole frequency range.

The bass is also very impulsive and it is really cool to see it move very fast with that big radiating area. It reminds me a bit on my backloaded horn that was the last I aspected from a bass reflex.
High quality low distortion sound like fast bass.

The midrange is bright but sound warmer then my Visaton TI100 full titanium cone. This ones have a sandwich titanium polypropylene cones and cost a ridicules 15 euro! And I spend the money on fancy XO stuff.

The tweeter sound nice detailed and looks good and expensive to with the aluminium horn.

Regards Helmuth
Old 27th March 2009, 06:42 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J.R.Freeman
Hi Helmuth,

That's interesting - I must admit I don't know much about my family tree except that we have some Irish and some English. To say that I have roots in the Netherlands sounds a lot more interesting than just being Canadian . I shall look into it.

I think I am wrong because in the Netherlands it is wrote Vreeman. I did google on freeman on dutch sites there are Dutch with this name wrote as Freeman.
Old 19th April 2009, 01:38 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Update,

I wanted to measure my this took a while to little time birthday parties, it took a while for me to understand the Hobbybox V6 software. HBX V6 HBX V6

I blown my amplifier during the calibration process off HBX forgot to switch it off before testing. And after a while it showed that also my sound card didn't survive this.
Now I bougth a begringer usb soundcard because it is only 29 euro and it has a toslink output to ,so when this one dies it doesn't harm that hard.Click the image to open in full size.

To make a long story short a also dropped my IMG microphone pre-amplifier Friday. And it was defective to

So I tried to repair it but after a short while I thought I can design faster a new and better one my self. So Friday night I made the plan Saturday I worked all day to finish it and at 23 hour it worked

I can also maesure its performance with HBX , it is really high performance.
The hart of my design is the Burr and Browne OPA2604 datasheet opa2604 a precision amplifier for spectral analysis equipment, professional audio equipment, data acquisition.

The output is short protected, the valance diode's at the input protect the Opamp.
Also the parallel power stabilisation help protect the circuit in case of a short so a very reliable high quality pre-amplifier for audio playback and measurements.

circuit

How to place everything on a Euro-card size print.

How to test it with HBX and the soundcard

Picture of the top design. I use a Behringer EMC8000 phantom power omnidirectional microphone.
Old 19th April 2009, 02:31 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Ladies and Gentleman the results of the measurements today.

Me on a bad hair day after finishing the pre-amplifier.

The test garden

The equipment.

measured on 2 meter distance.

Measured on 1 mtr.

measured on 2 mtr. 50-500Hz

measured on 2 mtr.500-20000Hz

Old 21st April 2009, 09:55 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Hi

The bad results of the high frequency let me question the reliability of my microphone.

I have a pair of dsm25ffl how are nine years old now.

An a almost new pair of RT1 Swans isodynamic tweeter.

To check my test gear the only one how can be fault are the microphone or the speaker. What I will do is measure the both without filter on half a meter.
And I compare that with the spec of the driver.

My results.

The swans tweeter seems to do close what the spec say.

The red and green line are measured with microphone calibration switched off.

The swans tweeter tells me that I can trust my microphone and that the titanium dome is altered and does not come near his original spec.

Regards Helmuth

Hide this!Advertise here!